Battles - Mirrored
Jun 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #48 of 64
I find the album to be good, but not as good as the majority of people I've talked to are making it out to be, this thread included.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #49 of 64
Aman, I am sure you know WAY more about musical theory and the music that's out there than me, but that band did nothing for me. I like the rhythm and they are obviously having fun and are talented, but tell me what I am missing.

Jun 2, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #50 of 64
This album is great! Still quite a bit hotly mastered though
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aman, I am sure you know WAY more about musical theory and the music that's out there than me, but that band did nothing for me. I like the rhythm and they are obviously having fun and are talented, but tell me what I am missing.

Thanks for the kind words, man.

You dig what you dig, you know? You can't change that. What I find fundamentally incredible about this band is the hybrid of superb rhythmic craft (excellent for the "pop" side of things) and innovative technological use (the "avant-garde" side of things). This band isn't just a mere math-rock band with strange vocals; it's a powerhouse quartet which is making all of the right uses of the materials provided to them, and not allowing any 'extra fat' to seep its way into the music.

Large amounts of use of technology usually results in the issue of the "over-production" sound - the 'fake' traits of the average commercial pop record. However, Ty Braxton's technological skill provides a free-flowing, extremely unique, and exhilarating feel to it. He has found a way (most likely by using SuperCollider) to incorporate his studio genius into the live sound arena, resulting in the fact that truly, the live sound and the studio sound are one in the same. Never before have I heard such fluid and sophisticated use of real-time audio synthesis!

Ty Braxton's music is not normally at all this accessible. He's known for performing extensive noise improvisations lasting over 50 minutes in length. However, he appears to have a very intelligent knowledge of what makes the perfect middle line between progressive sophistication and mass-enjoyment. And, as you said, they're all fantastic musicians to boot. I've made very similar comments on the music of Todd Rundgren, and I bet that he's been an influence on at least one of the band members.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This album is great! Still quite a bit hotly mastered though
frown.gif

Not only that, but you can tell that the songs get louder (gain-wise, not dynamically) as they progress, which I believe may be their attempt to keep the listener's attention as the song continues. I don't believe this was necessary at all, but what can you do - it may not have even been the band's choice.

Jun 2, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #53 of 64
I'm afraid I need to give this album at least half a dozen or so more listens before I develop a more confirmed opinion. As it stands now, it is certainly very different than everything else in my collection, let alone bands I've heard or have knowledge of. But it has thus far failed to capture my attention and retain it for any serious duration of time. A side product of the ear wanting its usual diet no doubt.
I know that I grew to like Autechre more the more I listened, so thats likely the case here too. I think I tend to appreciate instrumental manipulation far more than vocal manipulation.

For me, the best aspect of this album (the only one I've heard from Battles at this time, or Ty Braxton for that matter) is that, while it has that fun schizophrenic quality, it doesn't sound like it was achieved by manipulations in pro tools or time code. It sounds like it was originally performed that way. That is very interesting to me.
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid I need to give this album at least half a dozen or so more listens before I develop a more confirmed opinion. As it stands now, it is certainly very different than everything else in my collection, let alone bands I've heard or have knowledge of. But it has thus far failed to capture my attention and retain it for any serious duration of time. A side product of the ear wanting its usual diet no doubt.
I know that I grew to like Autechre more the more I listened, so thats likely the case here too. I think I tend to appreciate instrumental manipulation far more than vocal manipulation.

For me, the best aspect of this album (the only one I've heard from Battles at this time, or Ty Braxton for that matter) is that, while it has that fun schizophrenic quality, it doesn't sound like it was achieved by manipulations in pro tools or time code. It sounds like it was originally performed that way. That is very interesting to me.
wink.gif

I agree, I haven't given it a listen straight front to back yet, only in portions away from each other (few tracks at a time). I just have a very hard time concentrating on music that is mastered so hot and flat. This album could be simply stunning in the right hands.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same opinion here. It's certainly an interesting sound, not one I'm used to, and I may give it another listen or two... but it's just not moving me right now.

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #56 of 64
I was a huge Helmet fan, but I'm not sure what I'll think of this, still, it's a reccomendation I've got to check out. Thanks!

Jun 4, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #57 of 64
I'm surprised that Mirrored appears to be difficult to 'get into' - I hear a rare blend of inventiveness, rhythmn, layering, musicality and downright fun. Of course it's different strokes for folks, but this is way more accessible than I thought it would be. Inventive, technical, progressive music that you want to dance to. Nice.

Jun 4, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was a huge Helmet fan, but I'm not sure what I'll think of this, still, it's a reccomendation I've got to check out. Thanks!

Definitely very different than Helmet, but one hell of a showcase of John Stanier's skill on the kit. The rhythms built in this album are staggering.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #59 of 64
just listening to the video reminds me of a mogwai cross with massive attack almost...

very cool sound to it...

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that Mirrored appears to be difficult to 'get into' - I hear a rare blend of inventiveness, rhythmn, layering, musicality and downright fun. Of course it's different strokes for folks, but this is way more accessible than I thought it would be. Inventive, technical, progressive music that you want to dance to. Nice.

Who needs Pitchfork when this guy is around?
biggrin.gif

You summed it up perfectly, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back