Battles - Mirrored
May 18, 2007 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
It has been far too long since the last time I can remember thinking, "Wow, this is a rock band that's really going to change the progression of music forever." I believe I may have just found the next band to be my "Todd Rundgren" of the 21st century.

The band is Battles, which is constituted of only a quartet of young and talented musicians in the NYC music scene. One notable member (they're all brilliant, though) is Tyondai Braxton, son of avant-garde legend Anthony Braxton. I've had my copy of their new album Mirrored now for a couple of weeks, thanks to the nonstop generosity of Mr. Braxton himself and the drummer of the band, John Stanier (a powerhouse drummer, if I may say so myself). It comes out in a matter of days, I believe... I've taken some time now to listen throughout the album thoroughly, and I can safely conclude that this is one of the best rock albums I've ever heard.

The sound throughout has a very avant-pop hook to it; very fun and catchy. But it's not difficult at all to look beneath the surface and hear the vastly brilliant instrumentation and excellent (and VALID!) use of studio technology. Tyondai is no stranger to electronics - for years, he's been a pioneer implementer of avant-garde electronics in his performances, sometimes doing electronic noise drones for hours at a time for one set. Mr. Braxton has discovered how to implement these technologies in more practical settings, while still sounding extremely fresh, innovative, and original. How to classify the sound exactly? Think Aphex Twin meets Phish meets The Talking Heads. Extremely edgy, extremely catchy, and extremely funky - at the same time, FOR EXPERIENCED EARS ONLY!

This album truly is the most sophisticated and intelligent that rock music gets. Doused with just the right amount of electronics, without drowning out or causing negative effect, this band breaks all of the rules of rock/pop music. They use voice as an instrument, and not a portrayer of pseudo-emotional garbage lyrics. They have both technical AND emotional sophistication - it's both math rock and Bjork! They have incredible beats and rhythms, and yet explore massive improvisational themes and experimental structures. And best of all, it sounds damn good!

I highly recommend this release to everybody, especially fans of avant-jazz, post rock, pop, and electronic music. I just found through a google search that this album received a 9.1 from Pitchfork. I predict a lot of great things happening as a result of this group...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...42910-mirrored

May 18, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 64
Yeah I've been introduced to Mirrored as of about a month or so ago right when my setup skyrocketed in quality... and its good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
<3

Also, I heartily recommend Japanese instrumental groups: Natsumen (Or their previous incarnation with some vocals BoAT), Special Others and Toe.

May 18, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 64
I know that Pitchfork gets a lot of flack and its reviews should be taken with caution but I would be musically malnourished if I never visited the place.

I've ordered this album a few days ago and your comments Aman make me anticipate its arrival even more. Do you think they're a band that could become mainstream (I guess you could say they're moving towards that level as 'Atlas' was Single of the Week in the NME) or is their use of electronics, complex structures and untypical voicing too 'out there' for the general population?

May 18, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 64
A friend of mine heard them in a local music shop and was telling me about them, but I wasn't sure if the album had dropped yet. Looks like their myspace page has the whole album though.

http://www.myspace.com/battlestheband

edit: looks like it comes out next Tues, May 22nd.

May 18, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think they're a band that could become mainstream (I guess you could say they're moving towards that level as 'Atlas' was Single of the Week in the NME) or is their use of electronics, complex structures and untypical voicing too 'out there' for the general population?

I'm not sure anymore. When I first heard The Mars Volta I didn't get it, but I knew something was there - but I didn't think it could ever be mainstream. About a year later my buddy(same one who told me about Battles a month ago) said he loved TMV - and I guess it was on MTV and people listened to it then. It suprises me how people can just follow what's "popular" and they just take whatever is given to them.

May 18, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 64
2 month ago, I was on the road late at night, then on the radio I hear the speaker talking about an new album of a "math rock" band called Battles. The track was Leyendecker and it was really 2min 48 seconds of pure pleasure.

Don't miss this album and the previous EP's.

May 18, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 64
My pleasure guys!

I don't see this group ever becoming mainstream, especially since I know Tyondai to be far too experimental to be "popular". Their work is certainly brilliant, especially for a rock band, these guys will definitely be remembered two decades from now. But I don't think we'll be seeing these guys on MTV any time soon...

Tyondai had a lot of input on the mixing/mastering of the recording, and when I asked him if they had put any concern into sound quality over atmospheric environment, I was thinking of you guys.
biggrin.gif
He insisted that the album would sound up to par - the clarity of the recording is excellent, so I would say he lived up to his word. Obviously this recording cannot be reproduced live without the aid of lots of electronic equipment, but I'm telling you; you can FEEL the air coming out of the snare drum every time it's struck with military-like precision...

May 18, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 64
Can't wait to get this (hopefully tonight). I've loved these guys for years--they put on a hell of live show. Glad to see the buzz is good on the album (it's easy for me to put stock in someone's opinion who has the Trout Mask Replica album cover as an avatar).

May 18, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(it's easy for me to put stock in someone's opinion who has the Trout Mask Replica album cover as an avatar).

Thanks! I appreciate that!
smily_headphones1.gif

You've also chosen a good city to live in...
wink.gif

May 19, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 64
Let's see, Don Caballero and Helmet were at one time, two of my favorite bands... so I guess it should come as no surprise that a band with John Stainer (not that young really, he's got to be over 40) and Ian Williams (guiterrorist) would create something worthwhile. I believe this shall be my next purchase. Lots of buzz on this one so far..

May 19, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see, Don Caballero and Helmet were at one time, two of my favorite bands... so I guess it should come as no surprise that a band with John Stainer (not that young really, he's got to be over 40) and Ian Williams (guiterrorist) would create something worthwhile. I believe this shall be my next purchase. Lots of buzz on this one so far..

While this is rather sound reasoning, this band is really flavored more by Ty Braxton. The infastructure itself is indeed significantly stronger because of Stainer's appearance, and I'm sure Iam Williams is excellent (I've never met him, and have no opinion on him as I have not heard his material), but Ty's forward-thinking inventiveness is what makes this rock band so "buzz-worthy". As I said before, this is a real trip; it may indeed confuse the conformist mind. However, it's not like Mogwai was ever that "mainstream" either. I like Battles a lot better than them, nevertheless...

May 19, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While this is rather sound reasoning, this band is really flavored more by Ty Braxton. The infastructure itself is indeed significantly stronger because of Stainer's appearance, and I'm sure Iam Williams is excellent (I've never met him, and have no opinion on him as I have not heard his material), but Ty's forward-thinking inventiveness is what makes this rock band so "buzz-worthy". As I said before, this is a real trip; it may indeed confuse the conformist mind. However, it's not like Mogwai was ever that "mainstream" either. I like Battles a lot better than them, nevertheless...

If you get a chance, check out some Don Caballero. Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but hey, you never know. I'd suggest something from either DON CAB 2 or WHAT BURNS NEVER RETURNS. My favorite Don Cab track is "Repeat Defender"

On a side, I have a couple of Anthony Braxton albums.. I kind of get the feeling from listening to them that probably one day he will be hailed as one of the musical geniuses of the late 20th century.. but I'm not sure I understood what I was listening to... I have to say the man has some imagination..

-jar

May 19, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get a chance, check out some Don Caballero. Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but hey, you never know. I'd suggest something from either DON CAB 2 or WHAT BURNS NEVER RETURNS. My favorite Don Cab track is "Repeat Defender"

On a side, I have a couple of Anthony Braxton albums.. I kind of get the feeling from listening to them that probably one day he will be hailed as one of the musical geniuses of the late 20th century.. but I'm not sure I understood what I was listening to... I have to say the man has some imagination..

-jar

I have their latest album, "World Class Listening Problem". There are parts of it I really like, but I hear it's a bit of a departure from their original sound. I don't find Don Caballero and Battles to have much in common, other than the extremely tight rhythm section. Battles is, obviously, much more keyboard and electronics oriented, and much more focused on theory rather than complexity.

I wonder which Braxton albums you have... if you have only his 70s material (which is usually the case for beginners), check out his 80s and later works such as Ghost Trance Music or the Diamond/Curtain Wall Trio (where he got REALLY inventive and incredible) and then tell me if you think he will "probably" be hailed as a genius, or if he "definitely" will be...
biggrin.gif
Indeed, he has an imagination - he's also one of the kindest, most sincerely good people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting! I've been intensely studying his works, written countless pieces about him, and learning from his genius, for nearly a decade now, and I'm still just barely gripping the edges of everything his music has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back