Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jul 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #4,216 of 5,854
Quote:

biggrin.gif
 I know  I know... I've had a wonderful journey through both the woods and the clearing in this hobby. Not to get all word origin inside this fantastic thread but, for several moons over, the "woods" use to be simply be known as the wood. So, 
wink_face.gif
 who might that chap be who hung an "s" on the end?! 
blink.gif

I've no idea but back to the journey. One of brilliant things I did in this hobby was to get a few different jobs inside the industry. I grew tired of spending-spending-spending. There was always satisfaction to be sure, but it was fleeting. 

Ahhh, then came the Dealer discounts, loaner gear and accessories and gear from customers who always wanted to either demo gear for us inside their homes and/or loan gear out to me; staff members who couldn't always afford stuff.

Not surprisingly, with my own funds no longer at stake, when I auditioned gears and accessories,I had new respect for said gears and also became more objective, indifferent and learn to relax and enjoy the experience. Had a lot of fun being on the other side of the hobby.

I did the same - but used Audiogon and mostly purchased used - then resold if it wasn't staying.  I kinda went through my process in building my Mega system in a prior post. 

Like most things in life: You will get the new gear (carefully chosen based on reviews, etc) - and you'll be pleased - but notice a fault or two. 
If you focus on the pleasing part - bliss - happiness.  If you focus on the faults - frustration - unhappiness. 
When the pleasing gets overwhelmed by the fault focus - get something different.

It all comes down to an illusion!

Just like my avatars:

These are two dimensional representations of multi-dimensional space. 

They're called Calabi-Yau Manifolds - they're based on the multi-dimensional mathematics of quantum string and brane theory.

They are two dimensional here on your screen - but represent 3+x dimensions. So what are they really?  Just an illusion.

Here is an even better one.  This a static picture  - your mind makes it move.  The same for stereo images...illusions...

Notice the little red 'y's don't move.   If you look from the corner of your eye the movement stops.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #4,217 of 5,854
Quote:
Yeah this hobby has been actually really educational for me. The degree I'm working towards has very little to do with the stuff here, but it's really cool to learn some electrical engineering, computer science, and audio engineering from this hobby. I think it's more productive than my old hobby of collecting Magic the Gathering cards at least. :D

++1

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #4,218 of 5,854
Quote:
Here is an even better one.  This a static picture  - your mind makes it move.  The same for stereo images...illusions...

Notice the little red 'y's don't move.   If you look from the corner of your eye the movement stops.

I love this illusion and use it in my lectures in General Psychology!  Microsaccades explain this illusion, my friend.  Cheers!  
size]

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #4,219 of 5,854
Quote:
beerchug.gif

I'd love to be up to something real like Electrical engineering, Computer Science and Audio engineering... bravo! Learning and understanding how stuff is made has got to be hugely satisfying.

Man i've been a CS major for a while now (grad student at the moment) and for me it is not satisfying at all. I wish i had fraction of your enthusiasm. Maybe i would enjoy my current intern job writing image processing algorithms more if that was the case.

Took various courses and done various projects in hardware, software, and EE, it just gets more horrifying and frustrating the deeper you go if you ask me. 

Atleast when your just writing software and doesn't work you know its pretty much 100% your own fault most of the time. But when your working with hardware it gets to you especially when the projects get more complicated. You have a ton of different parts and it could be your software or it would be one of the hardware pieces that screws (hardware just stops working or is just bad) up and the hunt for such errors can get exceptionally messy and frustrating.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #4,220 of 5,854
Man i've been a CS major for a while now (grad student at the moment) and for me it is not satisfying at all. I wish i had fraction of your enthusiasm. Maybe i would enjoy my current intern job writing image processing algorithms more if that was the case.

Took various courses and done various projects in hardware, software, and EE, it just gets more horrifying and frustrating the deeper you go if you ask me. 

Atleast when your just writing software and doesn't work you know its pretty much 100% your own fault most of the time. But when your working with hardware it gets to you especially when the projects get more complicated. You have a ton of different parts and it could be your software or it would be one of the hardware pieces that screws (hardware just stops working or is just bad) up and the hunt for such errors can get exceptionally messy and frustrating.

I feel your pain. I'm finishing up my PhD in CS right now and I'm miserable with it. Once I'm finished I can hopefully move on to some area I can be enthusiastic about.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #4,221 of 5,854
Quote:
I feel your pain. I'm finishing up my PhD in CS right now and I'm miserable with it. Once I'm finished I can hopefully move on to some area I can be enthusiastic about.

hey atleast CS is super flexible in the job market so you can get all sorts of jobs even if you aren't a software engineer. But personally, screw this, i'm getting a MBA next. Rather than writing code, i'll manage people that write code lol

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #4,223 of 5,854
Quote:

One teacher always told me, the further you go into education, the more you know a lot about nothing.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #4,225 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:
go_quote.gif

One teacher always told me, the further you go into education, the more you know a lot about nothing.

Hmm. Sounds like a paraphrase of Socrates to me.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #4,227 of 5,854
Quote:
When are we getting back on topic..?????   just asking..

I did post a link to the 6moons review last month of the $300 Mad Dog headphone...no one commented.  Has anybody heard these?

I might be fun to have an inexpensive semi-closed back headphone for night time listening - or for taking on road trips.

They seem to be very comfortable...and a pretty good 'darkish' sound in the vane of the LCD 3 and 2s.  Not as good, but much cheaper.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/maddog/1.html

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #4,228 of 5,854
Quote:
I did post a link to the 6moons review last month of the $300 Mad Dog headphone...no one commented.  Has anybody heard these?

I might be fun to have an inexpensive semi-closed back headphone for night time listening - or for taking on road trips.

They seem to be very comfortable...and a pretty good 'darkish' sound in the vane of the LCD 3 and 2s.  Not as good, but much cheaper.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/maddog/1.html

I own them (and have owned each of the models as they've progressed).  Here's the appreciation thread.  Personally, they get more head time than my HD800 and HE-6 combined.  Living with a noisy dog, loud air conditioner and other background noises, it's much easier to just grab the closed cans.  I will say that they isolate more that the old Denon D2/5/7K line of closed cans.  The do have a slight venting, but they're really difficult to hear anything from the outside.

Oh, and I think the sound pretty good.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,229 of 5,854
Quote:
I own them (and have owned each of the models as they've progressed).  Here's the appreciation thread.  Personally, they get more head time than my HD800 and HE-6 combined.  Living with a noisy dog, loud air conditioner and other background noises, it's much easier to just grab the closed cans.  I will say that they isolate more that the old Denon D2/5/7K line of closed cans.  The do have a slight venting, but they're really difficult to hear anything from the outside.

Thanks!  I'll check out the thread.  Srajan seemed to like them.  It's always useful to have a pr of closed cans around.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4,230 of 5,854
Quote:

It'll take some time to sift through the thread.  How do they compare with your HE-6s?  Have you compared them with the HE-500s?  May-be a good starter phone for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back