Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #5,806 of 5,854
@Redcarmoose, understood! The two episodes of The Mandalorian and The last Avengers movie were well worth the monthly subscription to Disney+ already, but the Goldblum show was a nice bonus, especially that first episode. Recommended.

May 23, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #5,807 of 5,854
Alas,
I bump into another DavidMahler extraordinary contribution. A researcher's dream it is.
Vito

May 31, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #5,808 of 5,854
Part of the hobby is learning your sound preference. If someone is not grounded then every new color of flagship can come off as a new level of excitement. At times you’ll read of folks finding it in older flagships too.

But to me this thread was about headphone research and looking for an end goal, which of course many of us have. There is nothing wrong with attempting to obtain clear and accurate electronic music reproduction. Though I don’t think we are meant to be like hamsters in a cage going round and round running on a wheel of confusion.

The Head-Fi goal should be to listen to music for 10 years straight with gear you have respect for and don’t question. Getting off the buying train should be an end goal. That is unless opening new boxes gives the member an endorphin influx......worth doing over and over again. If that’s the case they should keep going. But after a certain level, I don’t think upgrades can really change the enjoyment of music? Certainly some of the equipment in the photo would be good enough to ride off into the sunset with even though we all know there is a reality that better gear has been produced since that photo was posted.

The issue for many is curiosity. HOW do you know unless you try a bunch of gear....or own a bunch of gear. What’s out there, and what does it do? How much closer to the music can I get? It’s true that the quest is more admirable than basic consumerism, and more difficult than simply buying all you can find.......but who knows.....maybe with unlimited funds a person could find the lost unicorn? The goal for many though should be to simply enjoy the level they reached and discover music.

Nicely said. It is curiosity and we're all driven by that, is there someting better? question. Really we should all just find what we like and concentrate on enjoying it.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #5,812 of 5,854
I remember reading this back in HIGH School! Senior year... insane how time files... I had a DT 880 then which I was happy to see got an A+... and now I'm here re-reading it with a 009! Crazy stuff!

A shame the post it self didn't age well as a lot of it's kinda jumble'd now between dead links and old formatting

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #5,813 of 5,854
I remember reading this back in HIGH School! Senior year... insane how time files... I had a DT 880 then which I was happy to see got an A+... and now I'm here re-reading it with a 009! Crazy stuff!

A shame the post it self didn't age well as a lot of it's kinda jumble'd now between dead links and old formatting
That was the outcome of Head-Fi's move to the new platform, a couple years ago. Sadly, the links and formatting in David's original post were lost or jumbled.
I still refer to this thread when someone asks about a particular HP or wants an idea when they're starting in the hobby. Many of the HP's listed by David are still in production :)

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #5,814 of 5,854
That was the outcome of Head-Fi's move to the new platform, a couple years ago. Sadly, the links and formatting in David's original post were lost or jumbled.
I still refer to this thread when someone asks about a particular HP or wants an idea when they're starting in the hobby. Many of the HP's listed by David are still in production :)

I always forget about this thread, but yeah lots of information in it and imagine the time involved in doing such a version as this.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #5,815 of 5,854
I always forget about this thread, but yeah lots of information in it and imagine the time involved in doing such a version as this.
When I joined Head-Fi, seems like years ago :), this was one of the first threads I read, looking for advice on HPs. I was amazed by the amount of detail, the structure and objectivity of David's reviews. Then, I read about his digital source and was blown away. Who ever heard of a femto clock before?
David also used multiple genres of music for his listening, in that way somewhat like me.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #5,816 of 5,854
This thread is like an unfinished work of art.

If David could come back and review the latest flagships then this thread would be even more epic and timeless.

I also wonder how Tyll's Wall of Fame would look like today.

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #5,817 of 5,854
David's list was up to date when he posted it. Then, the HP industry really took off. He did review the LCD-2 and LCD-3, but sadly missed a few big ones like the LCD-4, Dan Clark Audio, Focal and ZMF.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #5,818 of 5,854
We need a reviewer of similar dedication and objectivity to create a new ranking like this. Currawong is pretty close in ability, but the actual crafting of this review catalog must have taken weeks.
Maybe we should make a gofundme for someone to do this? Pay them to take a week off of work...

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #5,819 of 5,854
We need a reviewer of similar dedication and objectivity to create a new ranking like this. Currawong is pretty close in ability, but the actual crafting of this review catalog must have taken weeks.
Maybe we should make a gofundme for someone to do this? Pay them to take a week off of work...

David owned all the headphones he reviewed...and Tyll didn't give a crap about who he pissed off with his reviews.

Whoever you chose for this job, he should not receive the equipment he reviews directly from the manufacturers. And he should not get to keep that equipment in exchange of an "honest review".

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #5,820 of 5,854
David owned all the headphones he reviewed...and Tyll didn't give a crap about who he pissed off with his reviews.

Whoever you chose for this job, he should not receive the equipment he reviews directly from the manufacturers. And he should not get to keep that equipment in exchange of an "honest review".
Josh Valour and Metal571 do a lot of their reviews by fans sending them stuff, so that is an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back