Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
May 29, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #5,702 of 5,854
I'm considering getting one TOTL headphone and have somewhat narrowed it down to the two headphones, 1) Meze Empyrean and 2) Focal Stellia. I know it's apples and oranges but for those that have heard both, which is more subjectively enjoyable to you? If you had the choice to pick up either, which would you reach for first?

Looks like many prefer the Empyrean, which I don't get. Empyrean is quite sluggish for a headphone of that price. The so-called "great" bass is slow. Perhaps people think that is "musical"? Treble isn't top notch either: extension is subpar, as is its imaging ability.

To be fair, bass in Stellia is similarly slow (I didn't have a chance to compare them side by side), but it is mostly the decay that is slow-- more acceptable. Plus, Stellia is a closed back ! I can't think of another closed back comparable to it ( had the HD820 for a few weeks, and still owning the Eikon, which is superior to HD820, but a little behind the stellia in terms of resolution. )

However, If closed back isn't needed, stellia is of similarly poor value just in terms.of sound quality alone.

May 29, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #5,703 of 5,854
Looks like many prefer the Empyrean, which I don't get. Empyrean is quite sluggish for a headphone of that price. The so-called "great" bass is slow. Perhaps people think that is "musical"? Treble isn't top notch either: extension is subpar, as is its imaging ability.

To be fair, bass in Stellia is similarly slow (I didn't have a chance to compare them side by side), but it is mostly the decay that is slow-- more acceptable. Plus, Stellia is a closed back ! I can't think of another closed back comparable to it ( had the HD820 for a few weeks, and still owning the Eikon, which is superior to HD820, but a little behind the stellia in terms of resolution. )

However, If closed back isn't needed, stellia is of similarly poor value just in terms.of sound quality alone.
I'm not a headphone guy, I like my IEM's, but I was impressed with Arya and the Focal Clear...

May 29, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #5,704 of 5,854

I have the Empyrean's and also have the Clear's. Though I do not have the Stellia's, I did get a chance to audition it in store with the Questyle 600 and while I was very impressed, the resolution and imaging of the Empyrean more than suits my tastes. I have been breaking it in and boy... I didn't think there would be a headphone that could make me disregard my Clear's (which I also love) but the Empyrean has done it.

May 29, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #5,705 of 5,854
I'm not a headphone guy, I like my IEM's, but I was impressed with Arya and the Focal Clear...

I haven't heard the Arya. But I have demoed the HEKv2 many times. Assuming the Arya is similar to He1000v2 (people say they are extremely similar), it is very good for its price. (In HK, one can get an Arya at around USD 1100!!)

On the other hand, Clear is good in its tuning, but technically it is not good enough for me at that price

May 29, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #5,706 of 5,854
I haven't heard the Arya. But I have demoed the HEKv2 many times. Assuming the Arya is similar to He1000v2 (people say they are extremely similar), it is very good for its price. (In HK, one can get an Arya at around USD 1100!!)

On the other hand, Clear is good in its tuning, but technically it is not good enough for me at that price
Just putting it out there, Audio46 has an open box focal clear for $1,195...

May 29, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #5,708 of 5,854

Hifiman 400 (i). Superb. The 400i is superior to the Focal Utopia. It IS a great headphone. AND, a verifiable bargoon (approx. $300 US$).

pj

May 29, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #5,711 of 5,854
May 29, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #5,712 of 5,854
But a new arya is cheaper ! Of course Made in China vs France. But SQ alone, Arya is better.
And, yes, I love the Arya. When it comes time for me to buy a set of cans, I think those will be it.

May 29, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #5,715 of 5,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back