Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jun 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #5,191 of 5,854
  I dont see myself buying a HE90 ever (even if bill gates donated 1 billion to me) mostly due to the fact that its 1 HP with no warranty and no way to fix it if it breaks.
I dont consider the cheaper stax or the 009 for now at all (two things have to happend before that. Have the money, audition them, so earliest that its possible is september).

I still have to hear the HD800 as well, so I have a long road before I decide on what HP ill buy. One thing is for certain, im not dropping any kilo buck until I hear the damn thing :D.

Also note that diminishing returns hit so hard at this level that I might just get a 207 with a better amp and mod them (I read somewhere that 207, 307, 407 and 507 uses the same driver, just the enclosing and pads vary). 
If thats is the case... anyway, its been around 3 years sicne I bought my HE-400, so it might be time to look for something better/different.

I believe Sennheiser provides service and parts for all HE 90s. (Not for free, of course.)

That's understandable. Don't want to risk so much money when you haven't even heard the thing. (Though I'm hardcore, so I just buy stuff before hearing it. lol)

I hope this whole diminishing returns thing is overblown. I was disappointed with many of the more expensive headphones I've heard and was hoping that the best four figure ones would be on a much higher level of sound quality.

Yes, they all use the same driver. The cables have different resistance and capacitance. Some of them have the same pads and enclosure as well. All I know for sure is that the 507 has genuine leather pads and a metal enclosure, unlike the cheaper ones.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #5,192 of 5,854
Hello,
First of all let me thank you for this amazing list.
It was a lot of work, but I'm sure it has helped many people so it was worth it! :)
Secondly, I'd like to say that you've finally convinced me of buying the HD 600.
They are in my price range and it feels right that my first serious pair of headphones is one of the most cost effective.

What I'd like to ask is between the 2 amps that you listed (TTVJ Millett 307A / SPL Phonitor) what are the differences that you found? Are there any? Which is best for what kind of music?
I'm obviously directing the question to OP, but I'm sure he doesn't have time to answer so anyone with some insight is quite welcome to tell me the pros and cons of both amps.
Also, as a side note, I have a Pioneer SA-3000. Would that do the trick? I'm sure it's outdated and most likely not as good as the ones listed, but saving some extra $ would be nice!
Here are my amp specs
 POWER AMPLIFIER SECTION
Continuous Power Output is 40 watts per channel min. at 8 ohms from 20 hertz to 20,000 hertz with no more than 0.02% total harmonic distortion,
or 40 watts per channel at 4 ohms from 20 hertz to 20,000 hertz with no more than 0.02% total harmonic distortion
Total Harmonic Distortion:frowning2:20 to 20,000Hz, 8 ohms from AUX) 
Intermodulation Distortion: (50 Hz:7 kHz = 4:1,8 ohms from AUX) 
No more than 0.005 % (Continuous rated power output)
No more than 0.004% (20 watts per channel power output)
Output.: Speaker: A, B
Damping Factor:30 (20 to 20,000Hz, 8 ohms)
PREAMPLIFIER SECTION
Input Sensitivity/Impedance:
PHONO: 2.5 mV/50 Kohms, TUNER, AUX, TAPE PLAY: 150 mV/50 Kohms
PHONO Overload Level: (1kHzT.H.D. 0.01 %) 230 mV
Output Level: TAPE REC: 150 mV
Frequency Response.
PHONO: 20 to 20000 Hz ± 3 dB
TUNER, AUX, TAPE PLAY:
10 to 100.000 Hz + 0 dB, - 3 dB
Hum and Noise: (Short-circuited A network) 
PHONO: 86 dB (MM) TUNER, AUX, TAPE PLAY: 100 dB
Tone Control: Bass: ± 10 dB (100 Hz), Treble: ± 10 dB (10 kHz)
Loudness Contour: (Volume Control set at- 40 dB position) + 6 dB (100 Hz),+ 3 dB (10 kHz)
Semiconductors: Transistors: 30, Diodes: 22
MISCELLANEOUS
Power Requirements: 220/240 V (switchable) 50-60 Hz
Power Consumption: 330 watts (max.)
Dimensions: 380 (W) x 83 (H) x 295 (D) mm
Weight : 7.6 k

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: Alright, I just checked the amp prices and they are well over my budget, so they're a no-go. Any cheap alternatives? Or even better, does mine do the trick? Hopefully!

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #5,193 of 5,854
  Hello,
First of all let me thank you for this amazing list.
It was a lot of work, but I'm sure it has helped many people so it was worth it! :)
Secondly, I'd like to say that you've finally convinced me of buying the HD 600.
They are in my price range and it feels right that my first serious pair of headphones is one of the most cost effective.

What I'd like to ask is between the 2 amps that you listed (TTVJ Millett 307A / SPL Phonitor) what are the differences that you found? Are there any? Which is best for what kind of music?
I'm obviously directing the question to OP, but I'm sure he doesn't have time to answer so anyone with some insight is quite welcome to tell me the pros and cons of both amps.
Also, as a side note, I have a Pioneer SA-3000. Would that do the trick? I'm sure it's outdated and most likely not as good as the ones listed, but saving some extra $ would be nice!
Here are my amp specs

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: Alright, I just checked the amp prices and they are well over my budget, so they're a no-go. Any cheap alternatives? Or even better, does mine do the trick? Hopefully!

The HD 600 is not hard to drive. You don't need an amp that costs thousands of dollars. A $99 Magni 2 has far more than enough power, for example. Any speaker amp has far more power than that, so you're already good, though I can't guarantee that it would have the best sound quality. That type of thing is a bit more subjective than mere power requirements.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #5,194 of 5,854
Agree with. Magni. . In my opinion this amp with the 600 is at the good enough level and although I have used more expensive amps, there were no significant improvements that I could hear. I will not not upgrade

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #5,195 of 5,854

The HD 600 is not hard to drive. You don't need an amp that costs thousands of dollars. A $99 Magni 2 has far more than enough power, for example. Any speaker amp has far more power than that, so you're already good, though I can't guarantee that it would have the best sound quality. That type of thing is a bit more subjective than mere power requirements.

Agree with. Magni. . In my opinion this amp with the 600 is at the good enough level and although I have used more expensive amps, there were no significant improvements that I could hear. I will not not upgrade

Alright. Thanks guys.
For now I will keep my SA-3000 and maybe will upgrade in a while.

Take care.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #5,196 of 5,854
I have been using the Senns 650's for a few years now, I have used several amps with these but the one I am currently using has been the best, we call her FrankenEmber.  The triodes are 7193 vintage 1942, Ken Rads.  Enough volume to make your ears bleed if that is what you want, but  the sound just grows more, well more of everything, not just louder.  Hard to explain, wide soundstage, great bass with the Ken Rads.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,197 of 5,854
connieflyer  i still await mine adapter , and each of your words transform my patience in a burning envy
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,198 of 5,854
Hope you get the adapter soon, waiting is such a waste of valuable listening time!

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #5,199 of 5,854
L3000.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5,200 of 5,854
  I have been using the Senns 650's for a few years now, I have used several amps with these but the one I am currently using has been the best, we call her FrankenEmber.  The triodes are 7193 vintage 1942, Ken Rads.  Enough volume to make your ears bleed if that is what you want, but  the sound just grows more, well more of everything, not just louder.  Hard to explain, wide soundstage, great bass with the Ken Rads.

go_quote.gif

This just looks amazing! How big is the amp actually? 

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #5,201 of 5,854
http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_004.htm

The amp itself is 6.25 inches long by 4.75 inches wide by 2.75 inches high.

The amp is very versatile, very easy to do tube rolling, as it has auto bias, so you do not have to set bias for each different tube.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #5,202 of 5,854
STAX has been discussed every once in awhile in this thread. Just wanted to mention that I recently got an entry-level STAX system that (to my ears) sounds much more realistic than everything else I have heard, regardless of price. (Pretty crazy that I got it in a trade for some of my CDs!) Very excited to upgrade to better STAX. Just not sure whether I should go for the SR-207 first or straight for the SR-009.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #5,203 of 5,854
  STAX has been discussed every once in awhile in this thread. Just wanted to mention that I recently got an entry-level STAX system that (to my ears) sounds much more realistic than everything else I have heard, regardless of price. (Pretty crazy that I got it in a trade for some of my CDs!) Very excited to upgrade to better STAX. Just not sure whether I should go for the SR-207 first or straight for the SR-009.

I felt the same way upon first listening to the SR-007Mk1, right after listening to the HD-800, LCD-3, and HE-6.  I thought it was on a different (higher) level.  The only non-electrostatic that wow'd me about that much was the HE1000, which I heard about a year later.  I want to hear a direct comparison.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #5,204 of 5,854
  I felt the same way upon first listening to the SR-007Mk1, right after listening to the HD-800, LCD-3, and HE-6.  I thought it was on a different (higher) level.  The only non-electrostatic that wow'd me about that much was the HE1000, which I heard about a year later.  I want to hear a direct comparison.

The HE1000 is one of the best headphones I have heard, but did not sound convincingly realistic to me, primarily due to how warm, lush, and subdued it is despite its technical advantages. It was like all the music (and I listened to all the genres I could, with my own test tracks) was wrapped in caramel, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you're looking for. I know at least a few people put vegan Audeze pads on it to make it sound more engaging, but after hearing how much better STAX sounds (again, to me, not necessarily others), I've decided to focus on electrostats for the most part, then perhaps add lots of other stuff to my collection once budget isn't an issue. I would probably get the Abyss and HE-6 before other non-electrostatic flagships. Those two sounded more direct and straightforward to me.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #5,205 of 5,854
With the Franken-Ember  ( pre amp) i prefer now Stax basic system to the he 400 by a  very very great margin...Sometimes headphone are greatly affected by  tube pre amplification ....
ph34r.gif
  And stax is very good for sure..... But without the 7193 tube i had prefered he 400 (more incarnated sound )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back