Battle of the balanced DACs
Dec 15, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #31 of 75
I read in one of the more respectable German hifi mags that you should always use the balanced output of the Benchmark DAC, even if your system is single-ended. In that case you should use wires that connect the DAC's balanced outputs to your systems's single-ended inputs.

Reason: Apparently the DAC1 uses a completely balanced signal processing internally, and the signal that goes to the single-ended outputs is de-balanced by means of substandard ICs.

1.) Has anyone here heard the same?

2.) Has anyone here experienced the same, i.e. that (in the case of the DAC1) balanced-to-single-ended sounds better than single-ended-to-single-ended?

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
I read in one of the more respectable German hifi mags that you should always use the balanced output of the Benchmark DAC, even if your system is single-ended. In that case you should use wires that connect the DAC's balanced outputs to your systems's single-ended inputs.

Uh, that might be worth a try even with the AQVOX - I think I'll drop them a line inquiring whether they'd recommend it. It's definitely a good excuse for just another pair of interconnects or adaptors
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Uh, that might be worth a try even with the AQVOX - I think I'll drop them a line inquiring whether they'd recommend it. It's definitely a good excuse for just another pair of interconnects or adaptors
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lerrus know, dude.

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #36 of 75
I voted other. Given the incredible reviews and press that the Benchmark DAC1 has received, my experience with it (a brand new version, which does in fact have a slightly less recessed mid-range, and an old version, which I agree should be considered neutral before bright), I would never consider anything else unless I could do EXTENSIVE comparisons between them, which, as far as I can tell, nobody has ever done between these DACs and a DAC1.

Buying any of the others is something of a gamble in my opinion, and given the incredible support for the DAC1 here and elsewhere, I don't understand why anyone would even consider it without serious evidence to back up claims that any of these DACs is clearly superior.

The amazing versatility of the DAC1 seals the deal for me.

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
I voted other. Given the incredible reviews and press that the Benchmark DAC1 has received, my experience with it (a brand new version, which does in fact have a slightly less recessed mid-range, and an old version, which I agree should be considered neutral before bright), I would never consider anything else unless I could do EXTENSIVE comparisons between them, which, as far as I can tell, nobody has ever done between these DACs and a DAC1.

Buying any of the others is something of a gamble in my opinion, and given the incredible support for the DAC1 here and elsewhere, I don't understand why anyone would even consider it without serious evidence to back up claims that any of these DACs is clearly superior.

The amazing versatility of the DAC1 seals the deal for me.

My reasons for not going with the DAC1 are many. Mainly, the two DAC1s I have been able to audition both fell short of even my VDA1/VAC1 and Nixon TubeDac+ /psu. The DAC1 (this years version) still sounds too cold and sterile to me. I’m not a purist. I love warmth and body, not detail and speed.

That said the DA10, having a discrete design, intrigued me. I have always found discrete designs to be a bit smoother then opamp based, which is something I like.

That and its always fun to try something new. I can always return it or resell it should I find I do not like it.
icon10.gif

While the DAC1 is an excellent Dac I would not say its the end all be all. For some perhaps, but not for me.

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san

Reason: Apparently the DAC1 uses a completely balanced signal processing internally, and the signal that goes to the single-ended outputs is de-balanced by means of substandard ICs.

1.) Has anyone here heard the same?

2.) Has anyone here experienced the same, i.e. that (in the case of the DAC1) balanced-to-single-ended sounds better than single-ended-to-single-ended?

Thanks.

1) Don't know if it is true.

2) After switching between XLR-to-RCA and original RCA in many system configurations. XLR-to-RCA seems to have a tad more clarity, but in some cases it also sounds a tad thinner. The XLR output voltage is so high that some amps can't really cope with it. Using volume control to attenuate signal generally can solves the voltage problem but also sacrifices a bit of clarity. My conclusion is that it is synergy that matters the most, and no output mode on DAC1 is necessarily the best. I have preferred every mode (including headphone out to amp) in one case or another. Now I am using fixed, balanecd output directly into a passive preamp (volume controlled by relays and resistor networks), and I am very happy.

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
1) Don't know if it is true.

2) After switching between XLR-to-RCA and original RCA in many system configurations. XLR-to-RCA seems to have a tad more clarity, but in some cases it also sounds a tad thinner. The XLR output voltage is so high that some amps can't really cope with it. Using volume control to attenuate signal generally can solves the voltage problem but also sacrifices a bit of clarity. My conclusion is that it is synergy that matters the most, and no output mode on DAC1 is necessarily the best. I have preferred every mode (including headphone out to amp) in one case or another. Now I am using fixed, balanecd output directly into a passive preamp (volume controlled by relays and resistor networks), and I am very happy.

Time for me to make some XLR-RCA, XLR-XLR, 1/4"-RCA, 1/4"-XLR and have some fun
icon10.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #40 of 75
Liteaudio DAC-60

The DAC-60 has a tube output with a 24bit 96kHz DAC D/A chip using BB famous 24-bit PCM1704U-K, DIF CS8414, digital filter is DF1704, VCO for low jitter, optical and coaxial input selectable with input frequency display. Two 6922EH tubes with sampling frequency display board, optical and coaxial input, Dale resistor, OS-con, etc, tubes are new and using audio grade components with two R-core power transformers.

http://www.gr-research.com/components/lite_dacs.htm
Quite amazing.

dacfront.jpg

dac60guts.jpg

dacback.jpg

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhm5
Liteaudio DAC-60

Looks like a good visual match for Exposure components. Nice internals too. Won't get me off Team AQVOX though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #44 of 75
I just ordered a DAC-60 to test against my DAC-1, will be fun to see how it ends up.

Maybe we have a true winner here?
biggrin.gif

Afterwards, I will try a VDA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back