Batteries and the portable amp
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
For awhile I've been using rechargeable 9v from Thomas Industries. Now, though, there have been posts on various amp threads about the wonders of the Tysonic, Lithium Polymers, etc. So here's the question: while the Tysonics have appeared on teh SR-71a thread, are these the best for all portables taking 9v?? And what about the disposable lithiums??

Do these newer technologies improve sound quality, soundstage, etc?? IF so, this seems to be the least expensive way to give your listening pleasure a little extra boost without spending a fortune.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 6
IMHO there is no audible difference when using different types of batteries. It all sounds the same to me. The only main difference would be battery life. Like I said though, this is my opinion.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 6
power supplies DO have an effect on SQ; they effect the ability to handle different loads that are place on the amp to drive your cans, so yes get the best batteries that you can afford. in effect the battery becomes a sort of capacitor in some amp designs actually thats how RSA was able to lessen the uf in the caps in the new P-52. all IMO of course
icon10.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 6
I've noticed differences in term of dynamic on my Iqube from one battery to another. The higher the mAh, the better, but i have to test non-rechargeable 1.5v (contrary to 1.2v
rechargeable batteries) to see how better it is. And i know it is, cause i've been faced to this issue with portable radio Sangean PR D5: this was less good with rechargeable than with regular, which feat. a higher voltage...

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed differences in term of dynamic on my Iqube from one battery to another. The higher the mAh, the better, but i have to test non-rechargeable 1.5v (contrary to 1.2v
rechargeable batteries) to see how better it is. And i know it is, cause i've been faced to this issue with portable radio Sangean PR D5: this was less good with rechargeable than with regular, which feat. a higher voltage...

exactly the better the battery, the better its able to cope with large voltage swings ie. dynamics

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Much of this has to do with the internal resistance of the battery and the chemistry. The faster the delivery of current the better the transient response, there will be less smearing of the frequencies and in general the entire sound spectrum will improve. NOthing can be built on a power supply that is substandard. The batteries are the power supply and by improving them you improve the sound, if the amp is of decent design. You have to have a solid foundation and that is what a power supply is or isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back