Bassiest $30ish Headphones?
Jul 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Rocko1

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a inexpensive set for my 15 year old sons Bday. Bass would be the priority over accuracy.  I have been looking at the Sony MDR-XB300. Are there any others in this price range that I should look at? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 30
im a huge basshead and i love the monoprice's and also have the ath pro700mk2 and xb500's (lol also have the akgk601's you're wearing in your avi) and always been curious about the panasonics

in your opinion, is it worth buying even if you already have the monoprices? is the difference big enough that i wouldnt feel like i have another monoprice 8323 just with a little more bass and panasonic logo on it basically?

i'm always on the hunt for more bass lol, and at 30 dollars, its kind of hard to pass up

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:
You're describing the Panasonic HTF600s.  I definitely preferred them over the Monoprice 8323s.

I have the HTF600's and love them. I have not listened to many other cans(except Beats Studio) to know how the bass stacks up with other budget headphones.

Dutchi,  how is the bass and treble on the Sony XB500 compared to the Monoprice?

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 30
overwhelming would be the word lol, there are no other basshead cans i can think of that i know of or personally heard that can top it in terms of pure bass quantity

the ath pro700's i have can match the xb500's or close to it, but only after alot of eq'ing and still falls a little short in terms of slam, but it doesnt distort or bleed into the mids like the xb500 has a habit of doing unless you eq it, but then again those cose 4x more than the xb500's

i think if you'd be willing to stretch your budget by 20 dollars you'd be happier with the xb500's, plus the comfort on the sony's is really hard to beat at any price range

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:
overwhelming would be the word lol, there are no other basshead cans i can think of that i know of or personally heard that can top it in terms of pure bass quantity

the ath pro700's i have can match the xb500's or close to it, but only after alot of eq'ing and still falls a little short in terms of slam, but it doesnt distort or bleed into the mids like the xb500 has a habit of doing unless you eq it, but then again those cose 4x more than the xb500's

i think if you'd be willing to stretch your budget by 20 dollars you'd be happier with the xb500's, plus the comfort on the sony's is really hard to beat at any price range

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:
You're describing the Panasonic HTF600s.  I definitely preferred them over the Monoprice 8323s.

I second that, i bought two pairs of htf 600's last week just because i was curious about some of the posts put up about these cans and these are insanely good value for the money, I was astounded actually, i originally bought these for my partner and daughter, but they were so good i have kept one pair and will be ordering another pair for my daughter lol.

Don't get me wrong, I own two pairs of Denon ah-d 5000's, one mark L modded and the other stock, i also own some beyer DT 770's so am not inexperienced with bassy cans as a reference, although not as polished as my other cans and 20 times cheaper, the htf 600's bass is excellent as is other parts of the spectrum. I must admit, most of the listening has been through an IMAC>Cambridge Dacmagic>Heed Canamp and they sound great, being low impedence they also sounded very good out of an Ipad/Ipod unamped, for how much they are, simply buy them, you can't go wrong. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:
I second that, i bought two pairs of htf 600's last week just because i was curious about some of the posts put up about these cans and these are insanely good value for the money, I was astounded actually, i originally bought these for my partner and daughter, but they were so good i have kept one pair and will be ordering another pair for my daughter lol.

Don't get me wrong, I own two pairs of Denon ah-d 5000's, one mark L modded and the other stock, i also own some beyer DT 770's so am not inexperienced with bassy cans as a reference, although not as polished as my other cans and 20 times cheaper, the htf 600's bass is excellent as is other parts of the spectrum. I must admit, most of the listening has been through an IMAC>Cambridge Dacmagic>Heed Canamp and they sound great, being low impedence they also sounded very good out of an Ipad/Ipod unamped, for how much they are, simply buy them, you can't go wrong. 

true this, and if you don't like them you can send them back and only lose about $5

I just ordered the pair of the pannies, I hope i have the same experience you did.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:
The Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is similar sounding to the XB but without the veil over it and more detail. A little less bass but it still has a ton. Slightly less comfortable as well.

They are sometimes considered better than the well known JVC Harx700's. 

Way to go. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 30
The htf-600 has good bass impact and slam for $30. I owned the hd428 and the bass was pretty darn good with out the mod the wje described, so with the mod it would be quite impressive I'd imagine. 

gL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back