Bassheads
Jul 26, 2008 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jelle Schrijver

100+ Head-Fier
Read it somewhere and it got me thinking. The idea is that bassheads have smaller ears that somehow makes them less sensitive to low frequencies. Hence, the need more bass to hear them. I can not find the picture of some recording engineer that plotted out the different zones of the outer ear and to which frequencies the where sensitive. But the thing about that is, how does this translate to IEM's, because the do not rely on the outer ear. So is there a difference between ears that results in becoming a basshead? And sub question: If you are a bassplayer, are you a basshead or a "flat"head?

For the record, I am a bassplayer and a basshead with small ears...

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im sorry, maybe its jus cos its 12 in the night and ive been up for 50+ hours, but WAAAA?

There was a remark somewhere about being a basshead had something to do with having small ears. I just figured, let's test this in a poll, So what is your vote?

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a remark somewhere about being a basshead had something to do with having small ears. I just figured, let's test this in a poll, So what is your vote?

oh, well why didnt you say so. i would say what i think but i dont really know if my ears are small or not, and the same with the basshead. i thought i hates bass, but when i got my k701s, i missed it.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 16
I am not a basshead, and I have huge dumbo ears. And a huge melon head. Maybe why I like AT 'phones so much.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And sub question: If you are a bassplayer, are you a basshead or a "flat"head?

I typically prefer a more flat response, but if I can get a lot of bass without it becoming muddy or affecting the other frequencies, I'll gladly take it. So I dunno where that puts me.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 16
I'm a basshead with normal ears.

I like a generally reasonable response graph, but the last car audio system I had mic'd at 154db and cracked my front windshield. Different musical tastes for different situations.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm a basshead with normal size ears/ear canals(I guess judging from comments re IEM tips).

I like a lot of bass from my subs in my F-350 truck (2 x 10"/380 watts) and at home but the recording must have fairly tight bass otherwise I'll pass on cranking it. The same goes for what I can squeeze out of headphones with processing.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 16
No, I am not a basshead. But yes I have quite small ears...

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I typically prefer a more flat response, but if I can get a lot of bass without it becoming muddy or affecting the other frequencies, I'll gladly take it.

Same here. And that's why I like my DT990s so much.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm not sure...I like bass a lot but it should not be overpowering the rest. The term basshead is maybe a tad too subjective, I guess.
I'll just vote: Basshead - Small ears.

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 16
I think the term bass head is too vaguely defined. I like bass, but when exactly do I become a bass head? Sure bass is important for the music, but it is not alpha omega. Do you see my point or have I drunk too much coffee...

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I typically prefer a more flat response, but if I can get a lot of bass without it becoming muddy or affecting the other frequencies, I'll gladly take it. So I dunno where that puts me.

x2.

Typically i prefer balanced.

I had CX300's, had an epiphany, too much bass, no mids and highs
eek.gif
Came here, was amazed high end headphones existed, especially a community! Got ER6i's... Not enough bass, great detail and treble
eek.gif
Was offered Livewires...Ahhh, Perfect balanced sound... Mildy shaking bass and nice sparkly highs, clear mids, detail, and a comfortable fit...
cool.gif

Zen Vision M hissed too much, even through the LO with a SM3 i borrowed. Traded for a black 4gb DAB/DMB D2 + 8gb SD. Cranked the awesome effects up, mach 3 bass to 10, wow, more than mild shaking bass and still highs and detail as before, no colouration/little change!! Mixed with some stereo enhance and virtual surround = Amazing Bass, Clear Detailed Highs and a fun sound... And I thought i hated bass and was a purist! If the highs and detail is there, i love ooooodles of bass!
[size=xx-small]
Imagine how much i struggled when i broke the d2 (first time i broke a PMP!) Fortunatley i bought a white non-dab 4gb model with a missing power slider... Loved the white model in person, so put the white case and working screen onto my also 4gb, but DAB, main board...[/size]

I have normal sized ears i think... [size=xx-small]A longggg head though, someone at school measured it behind my back and takes the pi** out of me now, a long 28cm, but i am over 6ft at 15 years old (unusual candidate for a -borderline- basshead who loves detail and highs at 15!? Then again i eat all foods and like almost all music and liked the taste of beer at a young age unlike most, and was brought up properly, and respect things.)[/size]

So, average ears, borderline basshead i guess? The bass has to be tight though in the recording, nothing worse than that boomy bass, but cranked up... I have to turn the effects down! Even worse when plugged into my labtects with the enhancments on and the bass high on the adjuster on the sub, have to turn the effects off again or the bass dial down.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back