Bassheads Only? Sony Announces "Extra Bass" Series
Dec 5, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reasons I'm really drawn toward the X700. Must resist...

Why?
Think 'Christmas gift' and you don't feel bad.
You should go for it and tell us all about your experiences.

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #17 of 41
But hey, if you get punched in the face at least your landing should be soft with those planet sized pads.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #19 of 41
Oh yeah. I'd definitely agree with an earlier post that "Extra Bass" usually ends up being a bloated, muddy sound but I know from owning a pair of Sony's in the past when I was just getting in to slightly higher quality headphones from the iPod stock buds that some of their products definitely sound pretty nice for the money, IMO.

Then again, whaddo I know? I'm just some silly noob.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wear those outside and you'll get punched randomly in the face.

And then when you fall and hit your head on the ground, the pads will save your life.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt they will be as good as the 770s

Why would Sony aim that low?

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reasons I'm really drawn toward the X700. Must resist...

Same here but the difference is I pulled the trigger so the comfy cushions should arrive next week
L3000.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here but the difference is I pulled the trigger so the comfy cushions should arrive next week
L3000.gif

A quick review ...or just a few words about them would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #24 of 41
More likely i'll pull the trigger soon too. Honestly I quite like the sony bass. they are not the "Loud" type bass. they can touch me in some weird way. :p

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resurrecting this older thread somewhat but I haven't seen much written about the XB series.

Briefly auditioned the XB 700 at Sim Lim Square in Singapore this afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't have my Zune on me, so music was supplied by Sony (and could be coloured by the music they use to test devices).

Build looks interesting. It's light like an SA series and feels a bit fragile, however, the finish is pretty tight and the flat cables certainly add to the appeal of the unit.

Comfort was absolutely amazing. Warm on the ears, but soft soft soft. I think I could do a 3-4 hour stretch in these, no problems. Felt like they disappeared on my head. They were extremely light and felt secure (I have a narrow head, so there could be clamping issues for larger noggins).

Isolation was again, a surprise. I've read a few translated Japanese reviews that were a bit scathing on isolation. My wife was along with me and she could not hear the music once I put the cans on, so leakage was minimal to none. I could not hear her or the background din of a very crowded mall once the music started so in my opinion, I'd say they isolate well. Perfect for the office (which may be my preference with these cans).

Now, onto the sound. As I mentioned, I didn't have my own music with me, so I can't easily compare. They are bass heavy, but the bass isn't as sloppy as I was expecting it to be. In fact, if I had to compare the sound, it is similar to my Eggo D66 but a bit richer and fuller. Being closed the soundstage is much closer than the Eggo also. Overall, a non-fatiguing sound that enjoyed a lot. Definitely not analytical, more groove for your money though
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll likely pull the trigger on these in the next few weeks.

Did you try the 300's? How do they compare to the 700?

The 700 is just too big for me i think, my hed will disappear between the pads
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 41
They had all three cans at "Sonystyle" (Sony Store). I tried them and I have to agree that the bass is muddy and very bloated. Used my Fuze as a source. But, I was comparing them to my TF10s which I was listening to at the time. So that may not be a fair comparison as these phones cost half as much and are not marketed at the same audience.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #28 of 41
just bought the xb500 on a whim, looking for some basshead phones. they don't sound bad.. really. good not great, i would say. but they absolutely POUND with an amp, literally making my head feel like it is shaking. its fantastic to listen to, well.. feel really. but seriously, they sound pretty good for an $80 'phone, and if you are looking for bass that reaches low with power (read: amped), then these deliver at least that much.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

With those headphones it doesn't matter if they punch you...you won't hear/feel a thing.
beyersmile.png

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

And you'll get robbed.

Although I don't think the the robbers would want the fuglyphones!!
tongue.gif
ortaprofuglyphonesmiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back