Basshead IEMs (for running)
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JakeBassHead

New Head-Fier
Spent a lot of time reading this thread, so hear me out: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1.761433/

I need really heavy, punchy sub-bass thumping IEMs that I can run with, under $300. I'm used to room-shaking bass with lots of clarity on the high end. I won't be using an amp and I don't want to mod them. I'm looking for out of the box loud skull-shaking bass.

I'm looking at the Sony MDR-7550s, Vsonic GR07s, Sennheiser IE80's, and the Alpha & Delta AD001's.

Which would you suggest? Have a better suggestion?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 11
I too am looking for the best bass head Iem atm the choices for me are the IE80 and rha t10i or non I, I'm stuck between them two.. I'm leading more towards the IE80 though

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 11
Check out the SONY MDR-XB90EX. Not sure how great they will be for running but they sure have a lot of bass. They could potentially work for you.
I've been interested in those, since I can pick them up new on Ebay and Amazon. Is the quality of the XB90EX that stellar? I remember reading up about them years ago, I'm happy they're still being recommended for bassheads.
I too am looking for the best bass head Iem atm the choices for me are the IE80 and rha t10i or non I, I'm stuck between them two.. I'm leading more towards the IE80 though
Glad we're both looking, haha. I was stuck between those two pairs myself. The thread I linked actually doesn't recommend the IE80s for some reason, while the IE80's are Reddit's "Basshead" headphones in the $200 price range, the bass is apparently not skull-shaking enough to beat out other pairs on the list. I think the RHA T10is also have a tinge more clarity than the IE80s but not as much sub bass, as far as what I've read about them. Their build quality is supposed to be superb, though.

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 11
I've been interested in those, since I can pick them up new on Ebay and Amazon. Is the quality of the XB90EX that stellar? I remember reading up about them years ago, I'm happy they're still being recommended for bassheads.
Glad we're both looking, haha. I was stuck between those two pairs myself. The thread I linked actually doesn't recommend the IE80s for some reason, while the IE80's are Reddit's "Basshead" headphones in the $200 price range, the bass is apparently not skull-shaking enough to beat out other pairs on the list. I think the RHA T10is also have a tinge more clarity than the IE80s but not as much sub bass, as far as what I've read about them. Their build quality is supposed to be superb, though.
Which iems you think have more bass than the IE80? :/

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 11
Which iems you think have more bass than the IE80? :/
Like I said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have no idea, that's why I came here. I had heard a great deal about how basshead-y the IE80s were, until I read this: http://www.basshead.club/top-10/top-10-basshead-earphones/
On it, it mentions both the IE80s and the RHA T10s.
Bassy – Not Basshead
Below this line, I don’t think these are basshead IEMs. They’re various levels of warm or v-shaped, but I don’t feel my ear canals shaking with them.

• Sennheiser IE80 – Possibly the best sound stage for a bassy IEM, but more expensive and less bassy than everything above it on the list.
  • Yamaha EPH-100 – Bass emphasis definitely present, but not basshead and can’t be pushed hard enough to reach basshead levels.
  • RHA MA750 – Nice clean sound, good punch. Not quite to basshead levels.
  • RHA T10 – Honestly, I like their cheaper earphones better despite loving the idea and design of these.
  • Dunu DN-1000 – I enjoyed these at first, but they become fatiguing quickly with their treble. Also don’t reach basshead levels.
  • Logitech Ultimate Ears 500 – I still use these now and then. They sound great for the price and are versatile. More bass than the 600 model.
  • Xiaomi Piston 2.1/3.0 – Both give up when you EQ too heavily (before getting into real canal-rattling basshead territory). That said, I use the 3.0 as my standard phone headset/workout earphone because they sound good for the price and have decent bass.
  • MEElectronics M-Duo – Sound a bit like the M6/M6 Pro but with a second driver for extra bass. Not as good a deal as the M6 Pro (but bassier). If you are looking for a basshead IEM, these aren’t them. If you’re looking for something halfway between the M6 and a basshead IEM, these are what you are looking for.
Other IEMs I’ve owned or tried extensively aren’t worth mentioning for their bass quantity. Feel free to ask if they’ve been tested in the comments, though.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 11
Do also check out the Campfire Audio Vega. Powerful, clean and precise bass.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 11
Spent a lot of time reading this thread, so hear me out: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1.761433/

I need really heavy, punchy sub-bass thumping IEMs that I can run with, under $300. I'm used to room-shaking bass with lots of clarity on the high end. I won't be using an amp and I don't want to mod them. I'm looking for out of the box loud skull-shaking bass.

I'm looking at the Sony MDR-7550s, Vsonic GR07s, Sennheiser IE80's, and the Alpha & Delta AD001's.

Which would you suggest? Have a better suggestion?

As far as bassy UIEM's go, the Sony MDR-XB90EX is the clear winner and will blow all of those out of the water. However I'd recommend going for the Sportsbud Silver by Perfect Seal which is a CIEM, I think you will thoroughly enjoy the sound signature of it, also as you wont find a better fit than what customs offer!

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide to purchase in the end.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 11
As far as bassy UIEM's go, the Sony MDR-XB90EX is the clear winner and will blow all of those out of the water. However I'd recommend going for the Sportsbud Silver by Perfect Seal which is a CIEM, I think you will thoroughly enjoy the sound signature of it, also as you wont find a better fit than what customs offer!

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide to purchase in the end.
Interesting suggestion! I might check them out. Any idea how the Gold compares to the Silver with the two bass drivers?

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Are you currently running outdoors with IEMs? Just asking because there are downsides. I run several times a week outdoors and have learned that heavy sweating will kill a lot of headphones even if advertised as sweat-proof. I also won't consider IEMs because there are too many nitwits out there who have no regard for your safety; and the rare cases of someone with malicious intent. Awareness of surroundings outweighs everything for me. I use Plantronics BackBeat Fit. Got 'em at Costco for like $50. They are bluetooth ear pods looped together behind your head. A decent amount of ambient sound gets through, and sound quality is quite good for pods. Not even close to the level of bass you want, but far better than pods that come with smart phones. At $50, if they die in year, I won't be too upset. Mine are nearly a year old now, so just about at the point where they've justified their purchase price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back