Basshead dockworker here! DT770 vs Bose Triport for indie and industrial, and other stuff
Feb 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BeatsByConrail

New Head-Fier
For the past couple of weeks I've been looking for sub-$200 'phones to finally decommission a five-year old repaired/modded headphone as it is obscenely unsuitable for outside use other than home and listening to some Aslan Faction and Combichrist at lunch (think of electrical tape securing broken headband and driver housing unit, and more electrical tape on the cables themselves; butchered a JVC earbud just to get the 3.5mm jack working again). I know they are past due, and they have done a great service for their sub-$50 cost they have, but they're not the "sharpest knives in the drawer" they used to be. I have been leaning HEAVILY to the Triports for a while (coworker had one, seems ok but not enough kick for the songs I listen to), and then found a possible candidate: Beyerdynamic DT770. Said to have very good bass, good build quality for a closed headphone. Don't like people hearing my stuff when I crank it. Original budget was around $150 so as not to drain my meager budget but adding $30 more won't hurt a bit. Guess it might last 5+ years on me and by the time I want to retire it, I have enough money to acquire another one (having recouped the $180 cost on Amazon for the 250 ohm version). 

There are some things I need to point out:

-Any words for Bose's Triport if songs are heavily re-EQ'd so as to get more bass out in exchange for muddy mids/trebles; or am I better off getting the DT770?

-Are there any comparable cans out there that can match its performance but cost less (I aint no audiophile but see a lot of recommendations for the m50's, a dozen Sennheisers and probably the MDR-V6 if on a totally hamstrung budget for your rivethead needs)

-Opinions on portability: You know, use them on the commute and stuff like that. Some say that sucker's a bit big, but I am not sure of it unless I have it in person.

[size=10pt]-I can't use earbuds nor IEM's regularly anymore. Developed hearing loss due to using stock Zune (and iPod and cheapo Walmart) buds/IEMS at elevated volumes.[/size]

-I dont mind using an unamped DT770 if it will play loud enough (Zune 80gb), but not real loud. Just ENOUGH to shut out outside ambience (except aviation and heavy industrial equipment). Speaking of unamped 250-ohm 'phones - has anyone here done a breadboard cmoy amp with enough juice to power 250+ohm headphones? I have been looking at jdslabs and tangentsoft's altoid cmoy plans (and mini^3 too) but not sure if they are up to the job. Fiio's E11 is said to work well with it, but I want to know if they will work well with the e5/e6 series. Their specs say they can run up to 300 ohms, but I want head-fi's opinions on breadboard amps vs consumer-ready ones.

-Servicability. Has anyone done soldering work on headphones here? I have done a bit of fixing headphones and boy those real-thin wires are really telling me to stop drinking coffee.

I might edit and re-edit this post to add more stuff, but this should be enough for now.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 21
The DT770 does indeed have emphasized bass, although it is mostly sub-bass (the frequency response peaks at about 40 Hz). It most likely has much more treble than the Bose, which you may or may not like (clearer but more fatiguing sound). The disadvantages are recessed upper midrange, and the bass may be "slow" with some types of music. Other than that, it is not bad.
I am not sure how much voltage the Zune can output without amplification, but for that the 80 Ohm version might be a safer choice (it has a slightly darker and bassier sound than the 250 Ohm model).
CMOY type amplifiers are actually not bad for higher impedance headphones, as long as they have sufficient supply voltage (i.e. at least a 9V battery) and gain.
The E5/E6 will work, although these may not be better for a 250 Ohm headphone than a good CMOY.
The DT770 does not have a detachable cord, if that is what you are worried about when referring to serviceability. So, if it breaks, soldering is needed. The ear pads and the headband padding are easily replaceable.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 21
The Ultrasone HFI550 are closed cans with really good punchy bass and it offers wide soundstage due to S Logic and detailed mids, highs. The other cans like V_Moda M80 (overall very detailed and offers good punchy bass), JVC on ear with NC and Klipsch Image ONE (deep punchy bass and get louder without AMPs help and offers good noise isoaltion) are recommended.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 21
The DT-770 is great for industrial (I love that you mentioned Combichrist), though not so much indie and other non-bassy types of music.  It has good isolation, doesn't leak much at all, is very comfortable for hours of listening, and is quite durable.  The HFI-580 and HFI-780 are also good options, and tend to be a little cheaper.  They're not as comfortable, but are more musically versatile, and don't need amplification like the DT-770 does.  They are all very portable.  I've heard the TriPorts, and didn't care for them.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 21
Heya,

DT770 PRO all the way for isolation & a little more low end. Very comfortable. Good sturdy cord (plus you could re-do the cord for something that suits you perfectly since you have some experience with things maybe).
An alternative that is comfortable and even more isolating is the Fischer Audio FA-003 (or Brainwavz HM5, the same headphone, but rebranded and maybe more available/easier to get).

Very best,

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 21

malveaux:
DT770 PRO all the way for isolation & a little more low end. Very comfortable. Good sturdy cord (plus you could re-do the cord for something that suits you perfectly since you have some experience with things maybe).
An alternative that is comfortable and even more isolating is the Fischer Audio FA-003 (or Brainwavz HM5, the same headphone, but rebranded and maybe more available/easier to get).

Them pros are the DT770's improved cousin?

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
Them pros are the DT770's improved cousin?

No, actually the non-pro version (like this) is the "improved" one, although the differences are not large. These have been discontinued in favor of the T70 (but the 32 Ohm version is still available as the MMX300 "gamer" headset with a microphone), currently only Pro (80 and 250 Ohm) and M models are made.

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 21
Another option for a closed, well-isolating can that has lots of bass is the M-Audio Q40. It has more bass than the DT770 and also does not have the dip in the mids that people complain about with the DT770 (and rightfully so). It does not have as much sparkle in the treble as the DT770 but you can easily attach Beyerdynamic velour pads to it to get some of that sparkle.

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 21

And now I am completely baffled by the regular and the pro versions. What are the differences between the 250-ohm and the 80-ohm pro? (which is supposed to give more oomph due to its stronger clamping)

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 21
Bump. *train horn*

Pretty much set sights to three items now, based on price range: 

1. Fostex T50rp
2. Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 (if i buy this i will be building an altoids cmoy amp and post the results here on head-fi!)
3. HD25-1 ii

Tell your opinions about these three cans. Let's get the ball rolling! :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
And now I am completely baffled by the regular and the pro versions. What are the differences between the 250-ohm and the 80-ohm pro? (which is supposed to give more oomph due to its stronger clamping)

The regular versions are discontinued, but some stores may still have them in stock. These have lower clamping force, and different housings than the pros, and as a result somewhat less and different sounding bass. Of the pro versions, the 80 Ohm one has slightly more bass, and maybe more mids as well, while the 250 Ohm is somewhat clearer, brighter, and "thinner" sounding with more extended treble. None of these differences are likely to be really large, though.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 21

Originally Posted by stv014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The regular versions are discontinued, but some stores may still have them in stock. These have lower clamping force, and different housings than the pros, and as a result somewhat less and different sounding bass. Of the pro versions, the 80 Ohm one has slightly more bass, and maybe more mids as well, while the 250 Ohm is somewhat clearer, brighter, and "thinner" sounding with more extended treble. None of these differences are likely to be really large, though.

10-4'd.

I'm totally looking right now at the possibility of getting a broken one from Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-closed-studio-headphones/272025007000007?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=874201609#used) and getting an extra cable/driver later. Anyway, any opinions on the dt770 when digging through fast-paced metal music like Deicide and Morbid Angel (I read on some threads that they have a bit of problem with it).

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #15 of 21
Hey bud, I can't comment on the 770, but one of the weaknesses of the Beyer line is that they distort at high volumes.I don't know about you but I like to feel like I'm at a concert when I listen to headphones. Anyway, I've listened to a ton of phones in your price range and of them and as a fellow bass-lover I recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780. Very nice, clear presentation with solid bass. Also, you don't need an amp to make them sound great. I would also invest in a Digizoid ZO....that device is awesome for not jsut bass but the whole sound spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back