Bass Rolloff With Cowon D2
Oct 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

V3lier

New Head-Fier
I love the D2 but I keep hearing about the bass rolloff. How can I stop that from happening? The D2 is one of the best in SQ and I love i but I'm thinking of buying a Sansa Fuze.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 9
What impedance phones are you experiencing weak bass with?

Generally,

To prevent roll-off:

1) place a little shim under the player. (sorry)

2) use an impedance adapter. Many available commercially or you can get custom job done. If you search around here a bit, you will find varying opinions on the "sweet spot" for extra impedance. I use one from Head Direct and it does the job with RE2s...not to shill, just...this is what I use...

3) try a portable amp. Probably anything from a $40 cmoy to an iBasso or Pico/Predator will do it. Your phones may or may not really benefit that much from amping, especially if they are the low impedance variety what have the most problem with bass roll-off.

4) use higher impedance phones.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What impedance phones are you experiencing weak bass with?

Generally,

To prevent roll-off:

1) place a little shim under the player. (sorry)

2) use an impedance adapter. Many available commercially or you can get custom job done. If you search around here a bit, you will find varying opinions on the "sweet spot" for extra impedance. I use one from Head Direct and it does the job with RE2s...not to shill, just...this is what I use...

3) try a portable amp. Probably anything from a $40 cmoy to an iBasso or Pico/Predator will do it. Your phones may or may not really benefit that much from amping, especially if they are the low impedance variety what have the most problem with bass roll-off.

4) use higher impedance phones.

In addition to the above, setting the equalizer v-shape below the 0 'normal' point will help a bit. Like -2, -4, -7, -4, -2 for example.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bass rollof": a certain blackness coupled with grainy nuances between the upper middle lows of the deeper end of the spectrum and the lower higher mids; often encountered in groups.

Any clearer definition not in Audiophile speak
wink.gif

Did a search & found this by sgrossklass in 2006:

"Generally this refers to the frequency response dropping off quite noticeably towards the lower frequencies in the bass region. This typically lends bass a certain softness."

More understandable
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 9
What phones are you using? New headphones would be your easiest fix. With my (admittedly older) E4C's I set the mach3bass on the D2 at 10 and there is barely enough bass for me--and I'm not a bass-head. With the Sony PX-100s I like to set the bass to zero and the equalizer flat. I think those two headphones are kinda near the opposite ends of the spectrum.

The PA2V2 amp seems to provide a little more bass than my CMOY or Bithead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back