Bass heavy DAP recommendations?
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Vicx

New Head-Fier
I've been using a FiiO X3 mk1 since 2013, totally love it but thought it's time to move on so I bought the X3iii thinking it'd be a big upgrade. However the bass is extremely lacking compared to the mk1. I've been going back and forth between both for hours, updated the firmware, testing the same songs, tweaking with the EQ constantly but the best the mk3 can do is still lifeless. When I go back to the mk1 the bass is so much spacious and deeper, I feel cradled like a baby whereas the mk3 is soulless in comparison. I'm stunned it's such a huge step backwards.

I've been looking at the Shanling M2s but thought I'd ask for some recommendations. I've also checked reviews on the X3ii and X5iii but even they seem to be lacking in bass. To give an idea of my kind of bass I use Denon D2000 and Audio-Technica ATH-CKS550iS.

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 11
Budget DAP? I think it's shanling m2s or sony A series.

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 11
sony a series would give a same bass response as x3 mk1 while M2s is tighter and little lesser than x3 mk1 but still consider as basshead DAP.

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 11
latest is A45/A46

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 11
Do you have a budget in mind?

Tried out many DAPs and still love the Calyx M for the bass and sound quality. You will have to sacrifice on the battery power per charge though.

I've been using a FiiO X3 mk1 since 2013, totally love it but thought it's time to move on so I bought the X3iii thinking it'd be a big upgrade. However the bass is extremely lacking compared to the mk1. I've been going back and forth between both for hours, updated the firmware, testing the same songs, tweaking with the EQ constantly but the best the mk3 can do is still lifeless. When I go back to the mk1 the bass is so much spacious and deeper, I feel cradled like a baby whereas the mk3 is soulless in comparison. I'm stunned it's such a huge step backwards.

I've been looking at the Shanling M2s but thought I'd ask for some recommendations. I've also checked reviews on the X3ii and X5iii but even they seem to be lacking in bass. To give an idea of my kind of bass I use Denon D2000 and Audio-Technica ATH-CKS550iS.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 11
latest is A45/A46

The A46 looks like what I'm after, still not quite sure about the bass though.

Do you have a budget in mind?
Tried out many DAPs and still love the Calyx M for the bass and sound quality. You will have to sacrifice on the battery power per charge though.

Wouldn't be more than $300 or so. The Calyx is definitely above my budget.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 11

Go to sony shop. I think it is available in every country.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 11
$300 should be able to get you a Cowon Plenue D which gives you lots of EQ choices to pump up bass.

Another good value (current price) DAP will be AK Jr if you could live with the slightly slower interface. Price dropped a lot for this great sounding DAP, though it is the entry level of AK, it's sound is really good with great bass.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Ok I've done a lot of research on the Plenue D, AK Jr, AK70, Cayin i5 and N5ii - I think I'm leaning towards the PD, i5 or N5ii. The i5 and N5ii are way above my budget but it seems worthy as I've heard a lot of good things about the bass. What would you guys recommend out of the PD, i5 and N5ii?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back