Bass Guitar CD's?
Jul 12, 2005 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
I picked up Victor Wooten's new Soul Circus cd a week or two ago, cause Victor is incredible. The cd itself is quite cheesy and doesn't come close to what Victor can do. But, I want more cd's that the bass guitar is the main instrument. I have read the victor's first cd 'A Show of Hands' is his best solo cd so I think I'm going to pick that up soon. I am also planning on picking up Jaco Pastorius' self titled cd. What other artists/cd's would be good ideas to check out?

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 15
You can hardly go wrong with Jaco Pastorious. He was a genius (although he certainly shared a genius' fate, too). The self-titled album is very good and two bass players I know absolutely swear on that album. For a live recording the "Birthday Concert" is pretty good, too.

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 15
Pick up Michael Manring's "Thonk". Astounding. Such strange, beautiful sounds from the bass. Think of Joe Satriani, playing bass, on acid. It's close to that but stranger, yet cool.

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 15
"Super Bass" - Ray Brown with John Clayton & Christian McBride
How can ya go wrong with 3 stand-up basses?
Plus it's on Telarc
600smile.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 15
Parliament-"Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome"...two words...Bootsy Collins.

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 15
You may be interested in checking out "Fish Out Of Water" by Chris Squire, especially if you're into bands like Yes or Genesis.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 15
I suggest the Flower Kings' "Unfold the Future", especially the track "Silent Inferno". Best electric bass playing I have heard.

Another great bass player was in the 70s jazz/rock band Brand X.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
I have read the victor's first cd 'A Show of Hands' is his best solo cd so I think I'm going to pick that up soon.

Check out Victa's Live in America double CD. The first song (medley of two, really) on the second CD is VW and Marcus Miller, playing MM's "Panther" and Jaco's "Teen Town." Worth the price of the set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
I am also planning on picking up Jaco Pastorius' self titled cd.

Definitely pick that one up -- be sure to get the remastered version with two additional cuts. Also check out his Word of Mouth CD.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 15
Gov't Mule - The Deep End Vol 1 & 2, and The Deepest End

Basically a tribute album to their former bassist, the monster that was allen woody. EVERY monster bass player still performing plus a few songs by allen thrown in for good measure.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

I'm SO glad I got to spend the time I did with allen. My life was better because of it, and is lacking since he died.

Jul 13, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #13 of 15
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone!! It will be a while before I can check all these out! Some of the people I have heard of and others I havn't. This will be fun!

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Not really bass (it's a Chapman Stick), but similar -- check out Greg Howard's Water on the Moon.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 15
While not exactly a bass guitar cd, Victor Wooten does a side project with Scott Henderson (guitar) and Steve Smith (drums) call The Vital Tech Tones. They have two cds, VTT1 and VTT2. Both are excellent and there is some killer bass solos on both cds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back