Bass+gaming headphone
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

quastar

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of budget headphones for general purpose use, but mainly with emphasis on bass and gaming.  My current everyday pair are the Samson SR850 (EQ'd) and for me, these do the job well.  I'm looking for something to spice it up a bit.  I've tried the Sony XB500 and the Panasonic HTF600, but neither really fitted the bill in terms of having both bass and gaming capability.  In short, the XB500 just had too narrow of a soundstage for my gaming taste, and the HTF600 didn't really 'wow' me on the bass department (also broken now).

I'm don't want to spend any more than $80; the cheaper the better, and I don't mind buying used either.  Just off the top of my head, I remember expressing an interest at the CAL! and M Audio Q40.  Other suggestions would be great.  Thanks!    

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the link, socks. I think I can suddenly stretch my budget out a little further now that I've cancelled plans on other purchases
gs1000.gif
.  My top contenders for my next purchase are:

CAL!
DT 770
DT 990
takstar HI 2050
Superlux HD 330

(PC) Gaming is still my priority, but nothing competitive.  As of now, I'm leaning towards the Beyer DT 990.  I used to own the DT 880 and though I enjoyed it, the bass quantity just wasn't to my satisfaction.  And I currently own the Samson SR850, and from my understanding, it's pretty much identical to the Superlux 668.  If that's any indication, then I'm sure the HD 330 would be a fine value as well.  I'll need to look up on more info on them, as well as the HI2050.  Choices, choices.... decisions, decisions.   

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Given your needs, the DT770 pro80 is a good option. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 6
From the options you listed, the DT990 outperforms all the other options by quite a bit. It provides satisfying and immersive audio, which is very good for single player gaming, and even tackles multiplayer reasonably well.

Alternatively, look into the Ultrasone HFI-2400, sharing similar traits to the DT990, being slightly more impactful.

There are better options, but they are beyond the price point of both those headphones.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 6
I think I'll go with my initial hunch and roll with the Beyer DT 990. If it doesn't work out, I'll continue down the list :D. I'd love to try the Ultrasone HFI-2400 too someday; maybe if I find them on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back