Basic vinyl setup price
Dec 6, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Hi Dimitri,

I think that the sound of vinyl is unrivaled. That said, there is a lot more convenience to using digital - whether it be cd, sacd or mp3. A very good entry level turntable will set you back around $500 for a Music Hall MMF5 or SOTA Moonbeam. Both perform extremely well for the money and are easy to use. You will need a phono stage and , in my opinion, a good record cleaner. Almost any album is still available in very good condition used and there are a lot of new pressings available. I just bought a boatload of records for a couple hundred bucks. I have been listening to music for over a week and have only gotten about half way through the albums!

SACD is as close to vinyl as anything I have heard but to get into it and buy discs, it will cost you more than a good vinyl source and used records. Give me a call and we can discuss this further...
866-444-3910

Todd

Hi Todd,
How does an old AR turntable with a Shure V15 cartridge compare with the recommended $500 turntable.

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #47 of 53
Hi Todd,

What turntable/phono preamp/catridge combos will you recommend in the $1000 - $2000. Thanks in advance, I live in Europe so MMF is of no use to me. If you recommend something, I will get my dealer to set it up and use MF 3.2CR CDP/Sony XA777ES or similar SACDP as a control device for comparison.

thanks in advance.

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #48 of 53
Mikeg,

The newer tables are built with better engineering and materials. The tonearms have also come a long way. The Shure V15 is still a good cartridge but the improvement you get from the tables and tonearm can easily be heard. They are better isolated from vibration and their motors.

theaudiohobby,

See if you can find a Bluenote dealer near you. Theior tables are made in Italy and are some of the best sounding tables I have heard. they are a good value in todays turntable market. The Piccolo or Bellavista with the U3 or Borghese tonearms will give you a very good idea what vinyl listening is all about.

Todd

Dec 9, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

theaudiohobby,

See if you can find a Bluenote dealer near you. Theior tables are made in Italy and are some of the best sounding tables I have heard. they are a good value in todays turntable market. The Piccolo or Bellavista with the U3 or Borghese tonearms will give you a very good idea what vinyl listening is all about.

Todd

Thanks Todd, I will check out their UK Distributor for any local dealers.

Dec 10, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Mikeg,

The newer tables are built with better engineering and materials. The tonearms have also come a long way. The Shure V15 is still a good cartridge but the improvement you get from the tables and tonearm can easily be heard. They are better isolated from vibration and their motors.

Todd

Thanks very much, Todd.

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #51 of 53
Hi Todd,

Of the Piccolo/BellaVista, what phono preamps/tonerarm/catridges do you suggest as ideal. I am interested in capping expenses @ USD 2000/2500. How much better is the BellaVista signature.

regards.

Dec 13, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #52 of 53
Bluenote has a great combo - The Bellavista, Borghese arm and the Boboli cartridge. I also like the Grado Statement Sonata. Ray Samuels makes the best phono stage I've heard and the Grado PH1 is a great value and a fine phono stage.
The Piccolo sounds great with the U3 tonearm, Grado Platinum or Sonata cartridge, Grado PH1 Phono stage and your favorite album. Both combos are excellent for the money. The Piccolo can be had with the cartridge and phono stage for around 2K. The Bellavista, Borghese, Boboli is around $2500 and Rays phono stage is $1050 and a steal at that price.

Todd

Dec 15, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #53 of 53
Thanks Todd,

I will follow your suggestions, however I think I will give the phono pre a miss and choose one of the locally available one, like Trichord Dino, Project TubeBox etc. are you familiar with British phono preamps

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back