basic questions on my new Denon D5000
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my Denon D5000 headphones. My previous headphones are Sennheiser 595. I am not an audiophile, so these Denons are really my first step up from mid-fi to hi-fi. Some questions:

1. The Denon's earholes (the hole in the interior of the pleather cup) seems to be oval but horizontal. That seems odd. Why is the oval earhole not vertical to match the orientation of the human ear?

2. At the same volume coming from my source, the Sennheiser 595 are clearly louder. Is this what is considered "bright"?

3. The Denon D5000s definitely have more bass, which is what I had read about here. But it is not an overwhelming bass. In fact, when I listen to music on my computer, I turn the bass and treble up a bit on the equaliser (to make a mild "U" shape). These Denons sound fine, yes?

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe your source isn't enough to power them.

This. Eventhough they are comparable (50 I think for the 595, and 25? for the D5000) the drivers are very different, so sound levels are going to be different obviously.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why should I need to turn the ear cups? My Senn 595 did not need that. Do all Denon D5000s have mis-aligned ear holes?

No, the earpads can be removed. If you just press firmly against the pleather you should be able to turn them vertically.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

1. The Denon's earholes (the hole in the interior of the pleather cup) seems to be oval but horizontal. That seems odd. Why is the oval earhole not vertical to match the orientation of the human ear?

That strange, another user have report the same thing, is it possible that fakes denon are on the market or maybe its the new stock revision model that is like that ?
confused.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Why should I need to turn the ear cups?

You only need to turn the cups so that the ear-holes match your anatomy more closely if you care anything about comfort and sound quality.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That strange, another user have report the same thing, is it possible that fakes denon are on the market or maybe its the new stock revision model that is like that ?
confused.gif

No, no, NO!

The ear pads on the Denon line of phones (D2000, D5000, D7000) all are capable of rotating. Simply rotate the pads so that the holes line up with your ears, making sure that the thickest part of the pads are BEHIND your ears. SImple really. The only real mystery here is why the headphones were shipped with the earpads rotated in such a way.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no, NO!

The ear pads on the Denon line of phones (D2000, D5000, D7000) all are capable of rotating. Simply rotate the pads so that the holes line up with your ears, making sure that the thickest part of the pads are BEHIND your ears. SImple really. The only real mystery here is why the headphones were shipped with the earpads rotated in such a way.

Yep... mine are oval too. They came turned forward a little bit and I found that I could rotate them. It's probably just a production thing... from how they're assembled to how they're moved during packaging.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 18
Some drivers are more sensitive than others, hence one headphone may sound louder than another while being driven at the same volume.

The ear cups are designed to rotate and they do so easily. Who cares the position they're in upon receipt since they're fully adjustable. It's really like complaining that the headband is fully extended and that the drivers are now below your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe getting them in a horizontal position is a good thing. It encourages the discovery of their being rotatable. In that way, you can fine tune the fit to your desire. It's one of the perks of a really great pair of cans.

The D5000 are quite heavy on the bass and I'm really surprised that you need to further boost the base with your eq. In fact, the D5000's should take you in the realm of listening to music without the need for changing the sound with an equalizer. But then again, what's your source? Are you using them without an amp?

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 18
So all the new denon are rotate this way ? That a good thing because we can tell if the headphone is the last model or not, some claim that the last d2000 revision have the d5000 cable, if its true that a good thing.

By the way i should receive mine tomorrow or Saturday, i bet the pads gonna be rotated too.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 18
Yo. I'm set to receive a spanking new pair of D5000 tomorrow afternoon, and I'm a wee bit worried about causing cosmetic damage to the cups. Is carnouba wax the best way to protect it? And will any cheap wax do fine?

Aye, how have yours stood against time? Still shiny as ever, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back