1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

basic orientation to Amps?

1. donaldekelly Contributor
    Is there a thread or a faq that gives the introduction to what kind of amps are advised? I have read a little and learned that cmoys are cheap but not great, a meta42 is better or a pimetto?

It just seems to be too much to take in with out a "for dummies" faq.
    I don't want to buy twice and cry twice as they say.

Specifics

Something about $100 or less
    to go with an Sennheiser HD280 pro
    For portable use (smaller the better)
    Source = IRiver 320

Thanks for any help

2. leapincoog
    its a pimeta that you are thinking about I think, not a pimetto. Anyway, for portable use under $100 I guess a MINT is your best choice. There is the xin supermini which is about $150, and some others that would be better then a MINT but for about $150 if you can stretch your budget.

3. donaldekelly Contributor
    Oops! I thought I was doing pretty well with all the abbreviations in the headphones section - then I came here and it is a whole new ballgame!

The amps you are suggesting would be better than a meta42 (I wonder if I have that right). Can I put the pimeta in an olive?

I really have no clue yet!

And yes - I can stretch my budget. First priority is small, second is sound, third is cost.

Of course the Sennheiser HD240-pro is a $100 headphone that can be had for about $60 - so I don't want to get a better amp than my headphone will be able to show the improvement of.

Thanks for the advice!

4. eastside504
    there is a sticky on portable amp at the top of this forum.

5. donaldekelly Contributor
    I noticed two stickies that list amps but do not review them or recommend them. I don't see much help in those stickies for a nwbie like me, though they obviously have their place.

Now, with a pointer in a direction I can SEARCH!!!!

Sticky 1 "a thread listing the existing portable amps along with their price and website link. No reviews here, just a list."

Sticky 2 "the guide will not include information on sound or quality -- for that info, people will have to use the forums and other sources of subjective info. The purpose of this guide will be to provide a reference to specs/features/etc."

6. Big Al
  7. rnd
    If you watch the for amp sale forum you can sometimes find portable pimetas for under $150.