Basic Car Audio?
Oct 15, 2002 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Well, my family is getting a new 96 VW Jetta. Stick!
biggrin.gif
What's a 16 year old to do. . . anyway, there's a problem with the speakers. One of them just doesn't work, and the other one just farts out sound.
rolleyes.gif
So, being the gracious son, I offered to do some research.
wink.gif
So, can anyone introduce me to some good offerings? We're not looking to spend too much. Under $80, if possible. No, I don't need 6 12 inch subwoofers. I'm not quite ready to rice the jetta out. . .
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 16
A '96 - '98 Jetta uses a 6 3/4" round driver in the front door and the same size driver in the rear deck. There are different clearance measurements that you have to work with depending on the location of the drivers you're replacing. Go to www.crutchfield.com and click on "What Fits My Car?"

Just slap something cheap in there and you should get at least a couple years out of them. Stay away from paper cones when installing in the dash or rear deck because a couple summers worth of heat will tear them up and every song you play will sound like it has a kazoo in it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Hrmm. I think this is the same size driver as the front speakers in my 94 Del Sol VTEC, so I'll be interested in the replies too.

From my previous auditions, MB Quart were my favorites but the dealer renegged on the display discount he initially offered me and I never got them (new price was somewhat high).

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Well, my family is getting a new 96 VW Jetta. Stick!
biggrin.gif
What's a 16 year old to do. . . eek:

Are you sure it's not used?

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 16
car audio always seems to be somewhat of an enigma to me....I can understand andrzejpw's desire to replace something that is broken, that is fine, but these people who spend 3000 dollars on a kick-ass car audio system just amaze me. Don't they realize that they are trying to make a good listening environment in a metal box that is bumping down the highway at 80 mph? I just don't think cars are the best place to manifest your audiophile tendencies...my passat has a monsoon audio setup that was an inexpensive upgrade from the regular car, and the thing sounds great to me....and I am used to very good expensive systems in cars because my last used car had a huge tricked out (several thousand dollar) alpine system. To me, once you reach a certain level in car audio (i.e. basic), you have pretty much peaked. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Oct 17, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 16
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions! Now, has anyone heard pioneer/kenwood? I know, basically, I'm shooting for something that sucks the least.
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 16
andrzejpw,
Well, for a headphone site it looks like to me that many of us certainly have no problems branching out to other forms of audio. Guess it's just that love of music thing going.
Anyway, if your looking for a set of coax speakers for your car I will totally agree with Lockheed about the Infinity Reference 652i. They don't cost an arm and leg, sound great, can be driven by head units, and the magazines even like them. I would certainly spend the extra 20 bucks over your 80 dollar budget to get them.
Now, at the high-end MB Quart components are killer awsome.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 16
I have some Kenwood component speakers in the door on one of my cars. It's a 5 or 6 inch speaker with a seperate tweeter mounted up high. They seem to be alright, although the Infinity reference series 2 ways in the doors of my pickup sound about the same. I would buy Kenwood speakers before I would buy another Kenwood stereo. Get some that sound decent but will live a long time. They always sound different when you're going down the road vs when your setting still. Cars are too noisey to hear the fine detail difference in speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back