bashing the Sony 700 DJ?
Apr 21, 2004 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
Why does everyone hate these, i remember hearing these hooked up to a $15 player in best buy and they sounded good, it`s been a year now so i am not sure if they would still sound like that to me ( is used to use the street style headphones back then ). I remember these headphones being bright and easy to drive..
confused.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 4
V700's sound isn't that bad from a cosumer point of view... the sound is pretty warm, it's not really that resolved or defined. Overall the sound has okay balance, somewhat bloated in the bass region. Its chief advantage for DJ use is the ability to flip the earcup over.

However, for its usual market price ($120~$150), its overall sound quality lacks detail to be a good audiophile headphone even at that price. For example, the Audio Technica A500 is a much better headphone, better soundstage, sound imaging and detail than the V700 with the same range of reproduction.

Worst of all, the hinge that allows it to rotate is all plastic, after a year or so of heavy usage you can expect the hinge to completely crack and fall apart. My co-worker's V700 has duct tape on both side holding them together now.

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 4
The V700s were my first expensive headphones, and I loved them. They lasted about 2 years before the hinge design fault that lindrone mentioned hit them - at which point they're essentially useless.

The bass is bloated, muddy, and too strong, but that isn't too bad if you're just listening to dance music. Still, i'd rather have a nice precise, balanced bass. The highs are dropped off quite a bit, and need to be stronger. Their precision isn't great either.

The combination of their muddy sound, high price, and their tendency to break make them a poor investment compared with other cans out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back