Base Station for Cosmic
Jul 22, 2001 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

holderlin

New Head-Fier
Do people have experience with the base station for the Cosmic? How much difference might I notice between that and the wall wart that comes with it? I know what Headroom says on the web, but I'm still a bit reluctant to spend $300 for a dedicated power supply to only one component.

I guess I'm not really sure how this thing works to improve sound. Is there a way that I can use the Base Station for my entire system -- to supposedly improve the sound of my integrated amp?

Thanks,
Bob

Jul 22, 2001 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 5
well, the cosmic uses DC-DC converters normally to get the +/-15 volts. Basically it takes the DC, converts it to AC, and uses a switching supply to step up the voltage, and convert it back to DC. This adds noise to the signal path. If you add the base station, it bypasses this dc-dc converter and replaces it with a true power supply.

you can't use the base station 1 with anything else. It is VERY different from those power conditioner things you see.

Basically, all electronics run off DC electricity, the cleaner it is, the better the sound. The base station is a power supply, in other words, it converts 120 VAC to the correct DC voltage, using high quality parts. Each componant in your audio system probably uses a different voltage/current draw, and would not work. (there's no way that a PS designed for a headphone amp will supply enough power for a poweramp) Also, very few componants allow you to input DC, since they have powersupplies built in.

Power conditioners are totally different, they claim to clean up the AC power. But this clean AC doesn't mean good sound, since it still must be converted into DC. I don't think they will offer anywhere near as much improvement as upgrading a power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back