Barking Up The Grado Tree Right For Mee?
Dec 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Figlio Perduto

Head-Fier
you guys, i dunno what to do. im officially stepping into "better sound" territory and i dont want to regret my purchase. i have read all over about Grado's amazing sound and i had my heart set on some 225's, but then i read about the 325i's better bass and detail. i have the money for them so i got my heart set on those. personally, the only thing i have owned, and loved (what did i know) are Bose Tri Ports (i know, im in for an awakening, and im beyond...beyoooond ready), i really enjoyed those things. but i knew it could get better because of all their flaws. i enjoyed the PERCEIVED fullness and bass of them although the bloated/messy bass distorted some of the other ranges. and i dont really know where the rest of the ranges were. sometimes the highs cracked (along with the headphones hah).

i was thinking maybe i was a basshead and i do enjoy it, but i think i would prefer it tighter yet still deep. anyway, like i said i had my heart set on some Grado's even though i know they are in another league, i want to try that league because for some reason i feel it will be for me. now, i was very happy having my heart set on the 325i's....UNTIL i found this site, ive been sitting here literally for hours, i read the whole 225 and 325i owner threads in one day, my butt hurts and im less excited and now more hesitant. i know i would enjoy the detail and tight bass. some words i hoped were in here but werent were "rich" "full" and "deep". would any of you describe them as that way just forgot to say =)? i personally cannot get a listen of the 325i's or the 225's in my area or near. i plan on ordering from headroom for the 30 day return possibility.

part of me feels like i may be barking up the wrong tree with Grado... given i like punchy clean deep bass before my love of amazing detail? i just feel lost now and some help would....well, help. also i dont really plan on going any higher than this quality/price range headphone. also in reading, many of you are audiophiles and i thought i was, but im just not quite there, i love love music and sound and listen pretty much all day, literally. and pay close attention to boot. i have no life other than music. that said, i want a good headphone, dynamic, punchy, rich, deep lows, detailed and crisp highs.

i listen to post rock (godspeed you! black emperor, a silver mt. zion) rock (tool, pink floyd, dylan) Pop (tori amos, bjork, madonna) 80's (depeche mode, the cure) anticon (why?, cLOUDDEAD) a lot of indie with mucho guitars, classical, opera. some hip hop.

im sorry that was so long
frown.gif

Thank you in advance!

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 20
If you are looking for something like the Boses the Denons might actually be a better choice, like the D2000. They'll give you the "rich" "full" and "deep" bass you are looking for. Either that, or one of the ultrasones but the ultrasones are a risker choice.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 20
Thank you for the advice, i was kinda thinking about the D2000 as well. but maybe as my second pair (i only want two), to fill out the bass heavy closed headphone thick side of things. And i wanted a Grado as well (first), to balance it, something with the punch still but more lightness and detail on the higher end. just dont know which. going back and forth between the 225 and 325i really. So far leaning towards 325i. Bah.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 20
I think for the most part Grados 225 will work for you, the only genres the Grados might not work for is classical and opera. The 325i are known to be the brightest Grado, so that might be risky if you aren't prepared for Grado's aggressive, forward sound. Denon D-2000 would probably be better all-arounders.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 20
It's tough for us to guess which of the two you would prefer. The SR-225 are the most typical choice for grado in that price range. The 325i are bright, which may actually bother you.

If you are bent set on the grado house sound, I would go for the 225 and save some money while getting a more typical sound. The SR-225 are considered the budget RS-1.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 20
imo, the 325i's don't go very deep in it's bass but it is very tight and punchy. i agree that they are pretty detailed and are definitely aggressive. it's a VERY different headphone compared to the bose triports. i finally got to listen to some triports the other weekend. i'm not sure if you'll like the change or not. i'm not really sure what other brand to recommend since i don't have experience with that many, but grado might not be for you. you never know though, you might fall in love with the grados.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 20
without auditioning the 225 are probably a safer bet (because of the 325i highs mentioned) but both will not give you the 'full' sound, they are fast and with deep bass (at least 325i for me... ) but not as full/warm as I expect the d2000 to be (and know the HD650).
personally I enjoy my 325i with lots of music, from rachmaninov piano pieces to a big chunck of rock to heavy/crazy electronics like venetian snares with a side step to some hiphop.
I feel like they sound great with almost all well recorded music but most feel they are best/only for rock.
If you want the fullness, I think you're better of with the D2000 or a nice AudioTechnica.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 20
I would first invest in a pair of SR60s and bowl pads. Or better yet get the SR80. Listen to it for a while and get to know its sound. After that, read some reviews and comparisons about how the top models differ to the 60/80. You will be able to make a more informed decision and perhaps spend wisely.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Agreed with Punisher. Get a used pair of SR80's that you can resell for the same price and see what you actually think about the Grado sound. It happens to be my thing but I know it ain't for everyone.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 20
wow thanks for all the advice, this is what i've been looking for. my budget is not quite $300. My source will be my MacBook, no amp (yet). My conundrum is, while i have enough to purchase the sweet spot of the grado line-up the 225, with punchy bass, and aggressive sound (which sounds good to me ideally and i've researched to heck) It's almost as if i know the D2000's are for me i just really want to try the Grado to see if that could be something for me that I didn't even know of. Also the D2000 are just beyond my reach as far as money goes. But i was thinking i could purchase the 225s from headroom now and if i love them keep them if i don't return and continue to save for the D2000's. i have been without headphones for about two years. whereas i always had them on my head. im getting impatient and want my phones back. maybe im doing this backwards and should save for what i think i'll most likely be happy with. Maybe do what Punnisher said and get a low end Grado like the 60 too. i think you all just helped talk me out of this ridiculous state i've been in going back and forth. now i'll have to research the D2000 more hardcore. this site is crazy, turns what you thought you knew upside down and back again! thank you though =)

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 20
I have no idea where you live, but you may want to see if there are any local head-fi meets in the near future. Sometimes, you won't know what you like until you actually try them out. Going to a head-fi meet is a great way to try out different headphones.

Good luck trying to find a nice headphone. (The journey is half the fun I think)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back