bang per buck giant killers
Jul 16, 2002 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
what are some of the most affordable audio equipment on the market today?

some items that has been raved about are:

1. koss ksc-35
2. outlaw psc
3. art dio
4. diy amp cmoy/cha-47/meta42
5. Markertek mini

so if you have witnessed any great product for an incredible price, please share.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Just picked up a Sony DVP-NS500V DVD player in response to the positive posts on Head-Fi. I'll add my voice to all of those saying this thing puts out some fine-sounding music for the attractive closeout price it can be found at: $180 or less.

Jul 16, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 15
A B.P.T. BP-Jr is a tremendous value.

Jul 16, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 15
Music Hall MMf-5 Turntable(complete package)-$500.00

AES Superamp basic Tube amp-$1200.00

PSB Alpha A/V bookshelf speakers$249.00 ($169.00 street price)

Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Bookshelf speakers-$250.00

NAD C-370 integrated amp-$599.00

Sony DVP-NS500V DVD/SACD player-$180 street price

Clearaudio Aurum Beta Cartridge-$350.00

VPI Scout turntable-$1500.00 minus cart.

Grado PH-1 phonostage-$500.00

Modern Audio Design Silver series cables-$75.00

That's my top ten(in no particular order).you could build a very nice system from any of those components.I would maybe add the MF DAC but it doesn't strike me as a screaming deal,just a very nice bargain.

Jul 16, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 15
well...

i definitely can second the...

KSC35
markertek mini-mini

and...well these aren't actually really cheap normally ..but since i'm trying to be the king of cheap...

how about.....

a pair of HD600s + clou red for only $180 ....
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
..oh yeah..i did....

ray

Jul 16, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 15
Okay, I know many people don't use this amp, but I must give the DIY MOSFET a ring here. I paid 125 to have it built, and the thing sounds better than my old MG Head DT!!! The only headphone amp that I've heard so far that sounds better so far is the Melos, which costs nearly five times the price.

Another great deal out there is the Corda HA1... I don't think that needs any explaining either.

Jul 17, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 15
I know, I know. Some of these things might be a little expensive, but I still think there is some serious value for the money here.
NAD C370, and NAD C541i - I think the NAD products pretty much speak for themselves.
NHT 1.5s - I have seen these on the internet for 300 bucks a pair. Put these up against your Bose 301s, and see what you get.
Etymotic canalphones - I've heard $10,000 stereo systems not have that much detail.
Sennheiser HD-600s - Clearly, one of the most well balanced products I have ever heard. Detail, musicality, dynamics, and openess all in the same package. What more could you want.
Sony V-6 - Killer price, durable, and dynamic with lots of detail. Very exciting!
Klipsch Chorus II, and Forte II - Massive, heavy, well built, and somewhat expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. I have heard $10,000 speakers that can't match their speed, and dynamics. These are definitely the gems in the Heritage Series line. Super efficient, and SET friendly also!
Parasound HCA-3500 - What a monster! Built like tank, nothing in it's price range will drive speakers easier, extremely dynamic bass, and works well with a wide varity of speakers. Well worth the money.
Arcam FMJ-23 - As you climb the ladder of high-end sources, one needs to decide what attributes are needed for their system. I believe the FMJ-23 represents a serious value in comparison to CD players costing 2 to 3 times the price. If detail, dynamics, extension, and resolution are what you are looking for check the FMJ-23 out.
Denon DCM-370 - One of the best 5 disc changers I have ever heard at that price range. Somebody on a budget grab one of these.
Paradigm Studio 100v.2 - Give Paradigm a little bit of money, and see what they come up with. Best build quality of any $2000.00 tower speakers I have ever seen. Great bass, easy on placement, and a wide sweet spot. I think these guys know what they are doing.
Sony SRF-M35 AM/FM WALKMAN - Now this is real value! Great power, 15 digital presets. What more could you ask for, for 30 bucks.

Jul 17, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 15
Tim
Man, I'd love to hear that Mosfet. Why aren't you coming to the Dallas meet?
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD600, to me, is not a very good value if you have to pay anything close to retail ($450!) but at less than half that from some German dealers, it becomes a good value. That you can still get the DT931 a little cheaper than that even is where the real giant killer is.

A lot of the DIY stuff are exceptionally good values, even if you contract it out to someone else.

I'm sure you guys already know that I consider the RKV to be a good deal.

I'm also a fan of NHT speakers for price/performance. And I'm somewhat seduced by the Vandersteen 3A Signatures, too. (For those of you who don't know, the Vandersteens have a lot of design principles found in more expensive speakers but cut out most of the fancy case work to bring the cost down--thus they are covered by a black speaker cover almost entirely.)

Jul 17, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 15
Okay Tim- Your comment about the mosfet amp (Skeres) perked up my ears- I have had all the parts laying around for 6 months and have not been motivated to solder it up yet. (lazy person that I am). I guess I will get started on it now. Your fault.

Jul 18, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
I keep hearing about this markertek mini to mini...

will somebody buy me one?
biggrin.gif
......stupid canadian customs adding like 30% to each purchase
mad.gif

Put a wanted to buy add up. The shipping cost for a mini-mini to Canada is an unbelievable 15$ U.S.
A headfi member in the states shipped me one for $2 hehe...

Biggie.

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 15
1. Virtual Dynamics--- ICs and power cables. Head and shoulders above the rest. A true bargain no matter which cable of theirs you buy.

2. Melos (anything). Melos is GOOD. Very very GOOD. Especially at the prices they are available used.

markl

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by markl

2. Melos (anything). Melos is GOOD. Very very GOOD. Especially at the prices they are available used.

markl

but they only come used
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, but that's a good thing.... A used Melos is half what a new one would have cost you...

markl

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 15
the markertek cables are a fantastic deal, however, I would like to make clear that they are really a Canare Star Quad L-4E6S cable with Canare F-12 terminations. You can find these cables elsewhere, Markertek is simply one place that sells them.

I also agree on the Outlaw Audio PCA. Fantastic construction, wonderful cables for the price. A winner!

I don't know if I would consider any DIY project applicable, or, maybe inversely, all DIY projects would fall into this category. A matter of opinion, I guess.

Finally, it isn't really a "giant-killer" per se since it is an accessory, but I would highly recommend the vanguard series of cases. I bought one to carry my portable system, and it is incredibly rugged, and only $20, shipped. A steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back