Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
Jul 6, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #317 of 374
Can someone pls comment if I can use h8 during my gym workout?

They are way too loose for most people to do that. Maybe for indoor cycling where you sit almost still but if I move just a little bit the easily fall off and move around the ears. They are not recommended for other than a little walking if you ask me. Also they feel heavy during workout even though they are the lightest wireless headphones I know of. Why not get a pair of good earbuds? 

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #320 of 374
Can someone pls comment if I can use h8 during my gym workout?

The H8 is not purposed for gym workout. They can fall easily, and they have a slight thud sound with the NC on when you walk hard. I guess your best choice would be the new H5, which are wireless, sweat proof, in ear. Haven't tried them yet, but if the sound is close to the H3, they should provide a nice and spacious B&O sound signature.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #321 of 374
I was recently able to purchase a pair of these at a deep discount, and I only have good things to say. The touch controls have been fantastic for me, bluetooth is extremely reliable with my iPhone 6+, and the sound is excellent in both bluetooth and wired modes. Comfort is obnoxiously good, and the isolation is better than any other set, at least that I've tried. They're both my walking and office set, now, and I couldn't be happier. ANC is fine, though I don't care for ANC in general, so I'm the wrong person to ask. It hurts the music enough that I wouldn't use ANC while listening unless I had to.

Just wanted to put that out there for those still wondering about the H8s. I'm thankful for the price that I got, but, having them now, I wouldn't have an issue recommending them at $500 to those whose lifestyle would fit them. In my opinion they're plenty good enough to be someone's only pair, serving home, office, and walking duties equally well. 

Sorry for gushing.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #322 of 374
It might seem like the H8's got the same bluetooth hardware as the H7's with it's latest revision which also added the "Natural" and "Black" colour options. The horrific range and bluetooth stability issues seems to be long gone on the Black ones I've tested. I still can't enjoy the sound signature when using the active noise cancellation, it just doesn't feel or sound right to my ears. With ANC disabled they sound and feel much better, but they are still too warm for my liking so I enjoy the brighter and flat signatures of the H7's more.

With all the bluetooth issues out of the way, I could really love to own one of these. Their warm sound signature is more fitting for podcast listening and some music generes. There is only one huge problem left, their on-ear design. I hate designs that push onto my ears, it gives me headaches and starts hurting my ears after very short time. I can't use the H8's for more than max 30 minutes before it becomes really uncomfortable.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #323 of 374
One really irritating thing is the fact that B&O decided to make it so that the ear muffs of the H7 and H8 are not interchangeable. The headphone drivers are of the same size on both models, and the H7's muffs are just a hair too large to fit onto the H8.. Just why?

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #324 of 374

How does the bass compare to the Beats? Also how does the ANC compare?

Finally had a chance to compare the ANC on both the H8 and Beats Studios Wireless directly. Took couple flights with my H8 and had a passenger next to me wearing his Beats. Both of us had to admit that the H8 filters the regular airplane noises better than the Beats. With the Beats we could still hear some of it despite the ANC. The usual change of sound of the H8 with the ANC on / off is not really perceived in a noisy environment.

Btw. I use the H8 connected through the 3.5mm cable for some hi-res listening while away from home - the quality is very good. It has more detail and soundstage and a deeper bass than via BT.

So overall very happy with my black H8. Definitely a keeper for all those flights (with some nice IEMs for the office environment).

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #326 of 374
No, it doesn't support multipoint. I tried in store and to be able to connect to my phone I had to disconnect to the computer and then connect the phone. 
However it has been written here that this was supported in a previous version of the firmware. 

This and the fact that you can't start Siri from the headphones in any way made me not buy them and instead get the Philips 9850. A LOT less premium but it has the features I need. :) I also have a pair of Backbeat sense that has good multipoint, but it has a high latency which makes them impossible to use for anything else than music. It's not possible to watch a video with them which is not the case in any of my other headphones.

I also tried the multipoint in QC35 which didn't work at all. If I connected the phone while playing on the macbook there was constant stutter. Not a single second of music without stuttering. I think it's only made for two mobile devices...

Jonas

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #327 of 374
As B&O seems to have great focus on Apple products I really hope they are in talk with Apple regarding integrating their Apple W1 chip within their headphones. The W1 still relay on Bluetooth and seems to be using Bluetooth AAC 256kbps so nothing really special there, but still a great solution for iOS devices where 99% of playback within apps is AAC to begin with. But from what I can tell from feedback on the Apple AirPods and their new Beats headphones sporting the W1 chip it seems to be _handsdown_ the best way to handle multi-device connectivity. It will only work with Apple devices of course, but the reports claim that the synchronisation between devices is stellar and the fact that you won't even need to setup a connection to your other devices to begin with as long as they all use the same Apple/iCloud account sounds amazing for me with multiple Apple devices.

According to Walt Mossberg, Apple is not denying anything when he asks whether Apple will allow partners to take advantages of their new W1 chips. So it might seem like Apple is more than willingly to give third-parties access to their W1 chips if they ask for it. At what price, and whether they will strictly limit it to manufactures that seems to be very pro-Apple like B&O only gods know. But I'm hoping we'll see new products from B&O with Apple W1  in the near future.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #328 of 374
  As B&O seems to have great focus on Apple products I really hope they are in talk with Apple regarding integrating their Apple W1 chip within their headphones. The W1 still relay on Bluetooth and seems to be using Bluetooth AAC 256kbps so nothing really special there, but still a great solution for iOS devices where 99% of playback within apps is AAC to begin with. But from what I can tell from feedback on the Apple AirPods and their new Beats headphones sporting the W1 chip it seems to be _handsdown_ the best way to handle multi-device connectivity. It will only work with Apple devices of course, but the reports claim that the synchronisation between devices is stellar and the fact that you won't even need to setup a connection to your other devices to begin with as long as they all use the same Apple/iCloud account sounds amazing for me with multiple Apple devices.

From the history and speed of how things are happening at B&O you will probably have to wait a year or more before you will see that come to pass. We can only hope they are learning from their close neighbour at Libratone that they should work a bit faster in order to keep up with what consumers are looking for. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #329 of 374
I would like to get a pair of Beoplay H7 or H8 but have a couple of questions I've been trying to figure out.   Hopefully someone has seen them all in real-life. 
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Colours
    1. I'm leaning towards the H8 but the colours online show a drastic difference with the Argilla Bright.  In some photos, the colour looks to be more of a cream/beige but in some photos, the colour looks to be more of a light brown.
      http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/styles/flexslider_desktop/public/brands/BandO/bo_beoplay_h8_04.jpg?itok=jjrJn9Nq&timestamp=1455208670
      https://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayh8#buy
      I prefer the lighter colour similar to the natural colour
  2. Bluetooth
    1. It sounds like the H8 Bluetooth is as good as the H7 now.  Does anyone know how to tell if an H8 has the "newer" Bluetooth?
  3. Sound
    1. From what I have been able to find, most people feel the H7 sound is better than the H8.  Most of what I have read has indicated the H8 to be boomy or bass heavy.  I'm wondering if anyone can comment. 
  4. Over-ear vs. on-ear
    1. I already have two pairs of Bluetooth over-ear headphones so I'm leaning towards the H8, thinking they will be a bit more discrete
    2. I have the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless and the AKG K845BT

Thank you in advance.   

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #330 of 374
I will do my best to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. Despite what I wrote above, I ended up buying the H8s after finding them for 320euros and I couldn't resist the temptation.

Colours - Can't say much about argilia. I have the brown and really enjoy it.

Bluetooth - I haven't had one single issue during these 2 weeks that I used it. I had it in my pocket while walking, biking walked around my flat etc. Used with both iPhone and Mac computer. It works like a charm at all times for me. 

Sound - I have tried the H7 quickly in a store once, and only judging by that experience I prefer the H8 sound. It has a more lively, engaging sound. The bass is def. louder than other headphones but I find the bass to be fun and tight independent of genre. I don't find them overly bassy.

Over vs on-ear - The design of these - On ear with great looks is the main reason I wanted to buy them. The earcups with real leather and memory foam are really comfy so you never really think about the fact that it's an on ear headphone. Moreover they isolate passively better than my over ear headphones do. The almost isolate a bit too good at times, which I'm not that used to with on ear headphones.

The only downsides for me are the things like no siri activation - why are you able to double tap to call the last person in your call list. Who would ever need that instead of Siri activation?
As people mentioned the sound is different with ANC on. I prefer the sound with ANC off. However these headphoens sound even better in wired mode without being turned on. The momentums are also good wired passively, but I prefer both sound profile and stage on the H8s over the momentum both in wired and wireless mode. 

You also probably know that the bag is crap - and not very protective. I use a different fabric soft bag for it whenever I'm packing it, but since it's so comfortable to hang around the neck it often sits there when not in use on the go. 

I'll be happy to answer any other questions! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back