Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Mar 27, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #1,651 of 2,875
I have to agree. There is something magical about these cans! My most recent headphone purchase was Focal Elears. Truly a magical headphone. But since they are SOOOO open, I need total silence to enjoy them. Also they can get a little heavy after a while. As a result I find myself reaching for my H6s (2nd Gen) over and over. They are just FUN!!! I also thought I'd mention that the V-moda 3 button cable has a slightly smaller connector diameter than the standard (remote-less) cable. Not sure why they did that but they make some some awesome cables so I'm not complaining.
My next buy is going to be the K712s. Even though they're open (semi open?) I'm curious as to how they will compare.  
[/quote my friend has a b w p7, will conpare it against mine. Hope p7 would be better as they are in another price class i am not wrong

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #1,652 of 2,875
  Auditioned a few cans yesterday via an Audeze Deckard headphone amp with lossless files fed by an Astell & Kern Ak240 II DAP.

All comments are in comparison to my B&O H6v1:

MrSpeakers Alpha Prime - really disappointing; uncomfortable, definitely not a long wearing headphone; imaging was weaker though the bass was more detailed (more noticeable) but not significantly so.

Audeze Sine - very uncomfortable and fatiguing; imaging not as good; not as detailed.

Audeze Closed EL-8 - horrid sounding, I didn't enjoy them at all; muffled sounding; the bass is much weaker, less detailed; super heavy and uncomfortable just like my open-back LCD-2s (circa 2012) which I recently (and happily) gifted away as they were gathering dust (too heavy; sweaty; poor isolation). 

Audeze LCD-2 (circa 2016) - a much newer version LCD-2 which seemed to be a bit stronger in the bass and mids (but still weaker than my H6s) with the same imaging as my older version LCD-2s... imaging which I honestly find is only slightly better than my H6s if not almost comparable!  But like my older version LCD-2s these are still way too heavy, hurt within minutes upon wearing, and offer poor isolation.

Audeze LCD-4 - I know open-backs but I couldn't resist trying them out... wow, these are the best sounding headphone I have ever listened to!  Marvelous sounding; imaging and timbre was insane; much, much better than my H6s, however they are open-back and unfortunately, uncomfortable (just as heavy and tight feeling as my LCD-2s
triportsad.gif
  too bad).

Audeze LCD-XC - very nice, also better sounding in all regards than my H6s, however they are very uncomfortable (heavy and clampy; sweaty)

Oppo PM-3 - surprisingly, I didn't like these at all... not as comfortable (too clampy/sweaty); imaging and clarity was weaker with a narrower/smaller sound stage

B&O H6v2 - just for kicks I compared the new generation model to my old H6s... really couldn't hear much of a difference sonically, maybe they were a tad louder especially in the bass?  I too had some difficulty inserting/unplugging my V-MODA cable (an extremely tight fit) into them and upon closer examination I discovered that the input on the headphones is indeed slightly smaller than on my older H6s as reported by another member.

Now awaiting to demo the new MrSpeakers Aeon... but my H6s actually just might be my end game cans which would be great financially if true!

Definitely learned something new today concerning my B&O H6s... that they actually scale well with a nice amp.  I will need to think more on that; maybe due to their slight inefficiency (low sensitivity of 97 db)?

What I love about my H6s:

~ Comfort (I can wear them for hours on end without ever noticing them)

~ Balanced Sound (neutral, from the bass across to the treble; though there is something unexplainable about the highs... they seem more there (present) than most other headphones)

~ Imaging & Timbre (open and natural sounding; awesome clarity with excellent instrument presentation and separation; they pretend to be open-backs!)

~ Soundstage (one of the widest I ever experienced with any closed-back; far better than the HD650 and dare I say nearing that of a HD800 in fact!)

~ Isolation (offering just the right amount of isolation for my needs, tastes, travel, and work environment)

I had the xc's and used to think of my h6 as poorer mans xc's, but found myself not being able to take the xc's weight.
And frankly the ether c and now ether c flow for me and many solved the xc's issues, it's a shame audeze's single sided magnet cans haven't quite hit the mark.
I also didn't like the pm3's or the alpha prime when I tried them either, both of those also didn't really want to seal on my large head something the h6's don't struggle with.

I have to agree. There is something magical about these cans! My most recent headphone purchase was Focal Elears. Truly a magical headphone. But since they are SOOOO open, I need total silence to enjoy them. Also they can get a little heavy after a while. As a result I find myself reaching for my H6s (2nd Gen) over and over. They are just FUN!!! I also thought I'd mention that the V-moda 3 button cable has a slightly smaller connector diameter than the standard (remote-less) cable. Not sure why they did that but they make some some awesome cables so I'm not complaining.
My next buy is going to be the K712s. Even though they're open (semi open?) I'm curious as to how they will compare.  

I have had the v1's & have v2's and had the k712's, I liked the 712's a lot! head to head in a quiet room I'd pick the 712's over the h6's, but of course thats not a fight the h6's are built for, in the portable class I really rate them.
I see the h6's as such. everything closed that looks better than them they sound better than. But everything that sounds better than them doesn't look as good.

Coming from the elear's you'll probably feel like the 712 are filtering details through a wooly jump a bit, but I would describe the wooly jump as a nice one, one that won't weigh you down.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,653 of 2,875

Though they are not exactly K712 you're asking about, I own K7XX (slightly modded) and if I'd have to pick one, for quiet home listening sessions that would be AKG. But for general purpose and especially on the go H6 Gen 2 is a clear winner.

To my ears the difference is mostly in details. The overall sound signature is really similar (YMMV) but K7XX gives you more fine details.

On the other hand, both of them pale when compared to my Sennheiser IE800. I use bigger cans in two cases:

1. Winter outdoor (I hate wearing enything else than headphones on my head).
2. Occasional ear problems.

But wait, scratch that. I've already thought this extensively over: if I had to choose just one, it would be H6. The reasoning is that though AKG's are finer in SQ department, I cant take them on the go. And H6 are a tad bit worse but I can use them both home and on the move. Additionally K7XX shines when driven properly (Mojo in my case) while H6 shines always, scaling with quality of the source.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #1,654 of 2,875
And H6 are a tad bit worse but I can use them both home and on the move. Additionally K7XX shines when driven properly (Mojo in my case) while H6 shines always, scaling with quality of the source.

I agree the h6 do scale, I'm pretty confident in blind testing with the h6's I could differentiate my phone, X5ii and NFB-27h. the hum in left channel I hear when pairing with the latter would be giveaway no1 but what do you expect when you plug a portable can into a audio-gd beast.

Worse might not be the right word, I'd just say slightly less natural. Especially with cymbals and hi-hats vs k712's

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,655 of 2,875
...the hum in left channel I hear when pairing with the latter would be giveaway no1 but what do you expect when you plug a portable can into a audio-gd beast...

At what point does that humming go away?  50+ ohms and/or sensitivity under 90 db? 

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #1,656 of 2,875
  At what point does that humming go away?  50+ ohms and/or sensitivity under 90 db? 

the 27h is just so damn over powered for them
I don't hear the hum when music is playing, I don't hear it with my ether c flows nor did I with ether c before that, based on the fact the ether's are 22 ohm I'd say it's got to do with sensitivity, or maybe the microphone in the stock cable somehow I'm not sure on that one though.
with both the c flow and h6 I actually find I use the same number on the volume dial which is 40, which according to graph on the audio-gd site is just over 2% of the 19ish watts the 27h can output.
When I plug the h6 into my oppo ha-1 I hear no hum.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #1,657 of 2,875

the 27h is just so damn over powered for them
I don't hear the hum when music is playing, I don't hear it with my ether c flows nor did I with ether c before that, based on the fact the ether's are 22 ohm I'd say it's got to do with sensitivity, or maybe the microphone in the stock cable somehow I'm not sure on that one though.
with both the c flow and h6 I actually find I use the same number on the volume dial which is 40, which according to graph on the audio-gd site is just over 2% of the 19ish watts the 27h can output.
When I plug the h6 into my oppo ha-1 I hear no hum.

Gotcha; appreciate the feedback and clarification as I am considering an audio-gd option over low watt monoblock amps now. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #1,658 of 2,875
  I had the xc's and used to think of my h6 as poorer mans xc's, but found myself not being able to take the xc's weight.
And frankly the ether c and now ether c flow for me and many solved the xc's issues, it's a shame audeze's single sided magnet cans haven't quite hit the mark.
I also didn't like the pm3's or the alpha prime when I tried them either, both of those also didn't really want to seal on my large head something the h6's don't struggle with.

I really wish the LCD-XCs were comfortable... they are just way too heavy, sweaty, and clampy for me.  They are the second best sounding headphones I have ever heard after the LCD-4s and are better than the HD800s.  That leaves me now with only two known potential cans to still demo... the Aeon when it finally comes out and the Ether C or C Flow which I have been told are about the same sound as the LCD-XCs but with slightly better imaging and more importantly lightweight and super comfortable.

My requirements for replacing/upgrading my H6s are as follows:

Comfort (Long sessions required)
Isolating (Closed-back)
Neutral (Balanced sound)
Imaging/Timbre (Superb clarity and separation preferred) 
Wide Soundstage (Nearing open-back territory)

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #1,659 of 2,875

I really wish the LCD-XCs were comfortable... they are just way too heavy, sweaty, and clampy for me.  They are the second best sounding headphones I have ever heard after the LCD-4s and are better than the HD800s.  That leaves me now with only two known potential cans to still demo... the Aeon when it finally comes out and the Ether C Flow which I have been told are about the same sound as the LCD-XCs but with slightly better imaging and more importantly lightweight and super comfortable.

My requirements for replacing/upgrading my H6s are as follows:

Comfort (Long sessions required)
Isolating (Closed-back)
Neutral (Balanced sound)
Imaging/Timbre (Superb clarity and separation preferred) 
Wide Soundstage (Nearing open-back territory)

I found the xc's comfortable, I had the vegan pads that reduced the sweatyness a bit but the weight, oh that weight was a killer. The ether c solved that issue for me I can literally wear them all day, the ether headband setup is best on the market imo.
I would say the c flows stereo separation, soundstage & tightness/ accuracy is superior vs the xc. But xc's tuning was good fun, I could've lived with it if they were lighter (dat weight again). I haven't heard the xc's with updated 2016 drivers but the one's I had sounded thicker more tube like if you will than my ether c flow.

I also preferred the xc's over 800's, I prefer the h6's over the 800/s.

The ether c flow's are great but I could see some people preferring other can's over them and they could be too bright for some setups.
I'd suggest adding the audioquest nightowl and sony mdr z1r to your list of closed backs to hear if you haven't yet, I've not heard them but I've read things that have me thinking they could be the logical next step from h6's.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #1,660 of 2,875

I found the xc's comfortable, I had the vegan pads that reduced the sweatyness a bit but the weight, oh that weight was a killer. The ether c solved that issue for me I can literally wear them all day, the ether headband setup is best on the market imo.
I would say the c flows stereo separation, soundstage & tightness/ accuracy is superior vs the xc. But xc's tuning was good fun, I could've lived with it if they were lighter (dat weight again). I haven't heard the xc's with updated 2016 drivers but the one's I had sounded thicker more tube like if you will than my ether c flow.

I also preferred the xc's over 800's, I prefer the h6's over the 800/s.

The ether c flow's are great but I could see some people preferring other can's over them and they could be too bright for some setups.
I'd suggest adding the audioquest nightowl and sony mdr z1r to your list of closed backs to hear if you haven't yet, I've not heard them but I've read things that have me thinking they could be the logical next step from h6's.

Yeah the H6s are hard to beat... I never liked the HD800 S-version much... the original HD800s are just perfect for an Open Back only surpassed by the LCD-4s in sound I believe.

Thank you for the recommendations... I need to try the Nightowls and will add to the list (Aeon, Ether C, Ether C Flow, and Nightowl).  I didn't like the Sony MDR Z1Rs, too much bass for me (kinda boomy) and they were no where as clear as my H6s.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,661 of 2,875
I see What hi fi have just reviewed the H6 and still say the momentums are better..... really. I must have demoed the momentums on 3 occasions but found them dull, bass heavy and non too involving. I can only recommend listening with yourself and make up your own mind as they are way off the mark with this review. Still the days of me listening to magazine reviews is so limiting forums like this are always a wealth of informatin.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,662 of 2,875
I see What hi fi have just reviewed the H6 and still say the momentums are better..... really. I must have demoed the momentums on 3 occasions but found them dull, bass heavy and non too involving. I can only recommend listening with yourself and make up your own mind as they are way off the mark with this review. Still the days of me listening to magazine reviews is so limiting forums like this are always a wealth of informatin.

When I was out to demo and buy the Momentums (Over the Ear) but I ended up with the H6s instead.  I too wasn't very impressed with the Momentums.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,663 of 2,875
When I was out to demo and buy the Momentums (Over the Ear) but I ended up with the H6s instead.  I too wasn't very impressed with the Momentums.
I do not belive whathifi these days. They rate anything good with good midrange, ot midrange boosted. Momentum and akg k550 both are rated 5 stars. Both have boosted mids, and tonally not neutral. Akg has a wider soundstage but still has colouration. H6 sounds more realistic. I think either they are paid, or the people who review headphones has a "mid frequencyhearing loss"!

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,664 of 2,875

+1
My thoughts exactly.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,665 of 2,875
At what point would a headphone amp be overkill for the H6s (1st Gen)?

Would mid-tier level (Audeze Deckard / Cavalli Liquid Carbon / Audio-gd C-2 / Audio-gd NFB-1AMP) be as far I would need to go to squeeze out 100% performance or would there still be some sense (performance gain) going a little higher to a low tier-one headphone amp (HeadAmp GS-X / Cavalli Crimson / Audio-gd HE-9 / Audio-gd Master 9)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back