Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,066 of 2,875
  I've requested a replacement H6 2nd Gen from Amazon that will arrive today. My 1st set had a bit of uneven sound; vocals tended to be off center and favored the left side no matter the source. It was very slight but enough to be very noticeable. It isn't my ears, I flipped the phones around and vocals were then stronger (and sounded much closer to balanced) on the right side. Same result using the standard cable and the higher quality cable sold on Amazon. Tested other very cheap headphones that I have and it is definitely the H6; the vocals are "in the middle" of my head on other phones.

Is this a common issue and can I expect this to happen again in the replacement? Is it a defect of sorts? Never happened to me before with any other headphones, ever. Thanks!

It can happen if you are really out of luck :wink: 

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,067 of 2,875
If you had neither and had to buy one, which would it be?

I would be happy with either so probably the cheaper one, however if B&O are saying nothing has changed sound wise they are lying......

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,068 of 2,875
Quote:
  however if B&O are saying nothing has changed sound wise they are lying......

I said this earlier
Quote:
  I was thinking about this last night, I have nothing to back this up but what I'm think is they're comparing the v2's to the dj khaled versions of the v1's I remember people saying they had more bass, I never heard the khaled's but that could be it.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,069 of 2,875
  I've requested a replacement H6 2nd Gen from Amazon that will arrive today. My 1st set had a bit of uneven sound; vocals tended to be off center and favored the left side no matter the source. It was very slight but enough to be very noticeable. It isn't my ears, I flipped the phones around and vocals were then stronger (and sounded much closer to balanced) on the right side. Same result using the standard cable and the higher quality cable sold on Amazon. Tested other very cheap headphones that I have and it is definitely the H6; the vocals are "in the middle" of my head on other phones.

Is this a common issue and can I expect this to happen again in the replacement? Is it a defect of sorts? Never happened to me before with any other headphones, ever. Thanks!

Hi, I have the same "effect" with one particular song, which is "Beyonce Halo", I don't know if there is something wrong with the recording, but I can clearly say that the voice of singer is more hearable in one side of my head (not saying on which side, to not make placebo effect for others, who want to check this). I even did blind test with my gf during which I had no idea where is L and R, and every time I was right with my judgement of which side is which.

Would be great to see your experience of this here :)

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,070 of 2,875

Hi, I have the same "effect" with one particular song, which is "Beyonce Halo", I don't know if there is something wrong with the recording, but I can clearly say that the voice of singer is more hearable in one side of my head (not saying on which side, to not make placebo effect for others, who want to check this). I even did blind test with my gf during which I had no idea where is L and R, and every time I was right with my judgement of which side is which.

I know with my speakers I can tell if the singer is standing slightly off-center.  It's not anything wrong, just that the imaging is good enough to locate someone more precisely in space.  I would wager it just depends on the song, these H6 are definitely good at instrument separation and imagining, so it may just be you are hearing where the singer actually is in space.  

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #1,071 of 2,875
Finally got the Asgard in, this thing is big and solid!  Just after some initial listening, the sound is more dynamic and the low impact is improved.  I feel like the mid-range is a bit stronger too which I prefer in my speakers/headphones.  Will post some more thoughts after I had more time to listen, definitely enjoying it so far!

I feel like the low end detail is much better, I am hearing some things in Helena Beat that I didn't previously.  

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,072 of 2,875

My replacement phones have the same issue, vocals are just tilted ever so slightly toward the left side. Maybe a little improved on this set, hard to tell and could just be wishful thinking. Listened to Beyonce on Amazon music, same experience as you. I've been listening to a variety of stuff tonight and not all music is like this, but it's just enough to be annoying to me. It could just be the headphones exposing aspects of music I haven't heard before and not a defect as Transmaniacon says. I'm not going to return the headphones. About to just accept the future of wireless and buy a Beatback Pro w/ usb aptX dongle for my PC and call it a day, and use both headphones, eventually getting rid of the one I like the least.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #1,073 of 2,875

I'll give all three cables a try this weekend and report if I still hear the differences. Like I indicated I might have a bad cables. I certainly heard an improvement over the stock iPhone style cable. And at the reasonable price asked for the non-OEM you won't regret the purchase.

Did you have the chance to compare the cables again? :)

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,075 of 2,875

Just an update, this may help you as well. You can bend the headband a bit to create more pressure / better seal or less pressure. In my case, I think my head is just barely too small for these headphones. I wear a size 7 1/8 fitted cap. I need to keep the headphones at the smallest setting. Anyway I adjusted the band to create a tighter seal / more pressure and not only did this even out the sound but it made the bass punchier. Maybe there was a slightly uneven amount of pressure on the left vs. right side, now it's all good. These headphones are unbelievable.

I also received BackBeat Pro phones today and tested that Beyonce song and vocals still favor the left side, so it's probably just certain music and not the headphones.  

Try adjusting your headband.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,076 of 2,875
Just an update, this may help you as well. You can bend the headband a bit to create more pressure / better seal or less pressure. In my case, I think my head is just barely too small for these headphones. I wear a size 7 1/8 fitted cap. I need to keep the headphones at the smallest setting. Anyway I adjusted the band to create a tighter seal / more pressure and not only did this even out the sound but it made the bass punchier. Maybe there was a slightly uneven amount of pressure on the left vs. right side, now it's all good. These headphones are unbelievable.

I also received BackBeat Pro phones today and tested that Beyonce song and vocals still favor the left side, so it's probably just certain music and not the headphones.  

Try adjusting your headband.

I'll try this with my headphones.
Thx for your response :wink:.

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,077 of 2,875
Work rig
5a598c7a04e3072804062ff453789092.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,079 of 2,875
Didn't need another pair of headphones, but these gorgeous black BeoPlay H6's (1st generation) were sold for 200 euros at amazon.de.
First impressions: built quality is top notch. The ear cups are large enough to comfortably cover my ears and are still really small to be portable, how did they manage this? It's an enigma.
What about the sound? In two words: neutral and flat. No they aren't fun or euphonic headphones, but very smooth and well behaved. No odd peaks, zero sibilance, no grain and a bass that is just there. I can see why some would find them lacking bass, but I don't agree. Yes my Denon D5000s an Sony MDR-Z7s are bassier, but I don't find the BeoPlays cold sounding at all.
Some people complained about an overall 'trebly' sound. I find the highs to be exceptionally good. They beat the D5000s, MDR-Z7s and ATH-A900Xs in this regard, the highs are open but never peaky, shrill or stingy.
Now the soundstage is not as wide nor as deep as my full sized headphones, but still very impressive.
The sensitivity, which apparantly is improved with the 2nd generation BeoPlays is still good enough. I don't need to crank the volume up that much more. So overall I am pleased with this pair BeoPlays :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back