Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
May 29, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #991 of 2,875

To my ear, a pair of headphone with very wide soundstage and reveling treble will give a perception of "hollow" mid, but is it really "hollow" mid H6 present, or is it not too reveling treble other headphone present.
Most of recording will likely mix vocal in the middle, and other supporting instruments which likely might have higher note than vocal, at surrounding, and is this vocal in the middle, higher note instruments surrounding with a very very treble reveling headphone like H6, give someone a "hollow" feeling.

If you don't believe me, eq to reduced all high, and you will hear very "non-hallow" sound from same H6 with reveling mid vocal.

It is personally preference, but listening jazz, acoustic rock, or classical with H6, as "portable" headphone, is just incredible hard to match by other "portable" headphone with similar price.

This sounds to have a point. However the statement, very widesoundstage doesn't appear to be true. Infact, though its not a fair comparison :My AKG K551, is clearly way ahead in wider soundstage part compared to these. The only reason I keep the H6 is, they are quite good looking and blends well with any dressing. I never found anything good sounding to be so good looking. (subjective) K551 is an embarassement if worn in public, but for a closed pair of headphone, for the price I paid (69 Euros new from Amazon in a lightning deal!!). Using both the headphones from my FiiO E12 and Objective O2, K551 thought there is an annoying treble peak at times clearly is ahead of soundstage part, and details in midrange are more clear as they are bit mid forward. I wish the H6 were wider. To me the strange thing is they sound wider if I angle them in a way that there is a tiny gap for sound leakage(which fails the isolation). But for my head, on the best isolation position, it sounds closed in. With 551, I never had any such issues, the soundstage is wide always. 

May 29, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #992 of 2,875
the h6 does have a larger soundstage and marginally better separation over the nad viso hp50 imo, and you want to talk about headphone related crimes against fashion try pulling off a pair of red hp50's

May 29, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #993 of 2,875
  the h6 does have a larger soundstage and marginally better separation over the nad viso hp50 imo, and you want to talk about headphone related crimes against fashion try pulling off a pair of red hp50's

To me if its awkward looking, it shouldn't be a closed back! (Defeats the purpose of being outdoor friendly) And at home, we can have the luxury of having an open back. I don't care how it looks if its sounds good at home. Nobody is gonna come in and give that look as if they are seeing an alien. I had such issues, when I tried to take my K551's outside. (I got it back then for outdoor use, and once it reached home, I was surprised about what was running through the mind of AKG designers when they said it was portable!)

May 29, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #994 of 2,875
  To me if its awkward looking, it shouldn't be a closed back! (Defeats the purpose of being outdoor friendly) And at home, we can have the luxury of having an open back. I don't care how it looks if its sounds good at home. Nobody is gonna come in and give that look as if they are seeing an alien. I had such issues, when I tried to take my K551's outside. (I got it back then for outdoor use, and once it reached home, I was surprised about what was running through the mind of AKG designers when they said it was portable!)

It's pretty subjective I didn't mind how the 551/550 looked, it suited my kinda 'style' I didn't really mind the large cups I considered it but when I tested it I couldn't get a consistent seal so I struck it for that, personally I wouldn't wear beats, souls or skullcandy's out even if they were great sounding, they don't suit me, my brother rocks a pair of solo 2's well
I sort of disagree I'm all for people making whatever they like, we the consumer have the right to not buy stuff.
all sorts of people dress differently, wear what you like, the h6's have a pretty broad appeal look but I have friends that the h6 would look out of place on.
But yes please if you're on public transport don't go open back!

I do agree in the comfort of your own home strap on a jecklin float to your hearts content.
I think it was crazier when akg said the k872 sounded like a closed 812, then said it was meant for professional studio use

May 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #995 of 2,875
  So I have been listening to H6 the last couple days. The highs and mids are so beautiful. Listening to Black Hill and heklAa's River and Shore is just magical. There seems to be a major imbalance in bass though. I put one Dre's Nuthin but a G Thang and all the bass is coming from one side whereas it doesn't from any other headphone. Do I have a screwed up pair?

Thats a problem with the track. Nuthin but a G Thang is not balanced. My Dali speakers produce the same imbalance. Nothing to do with the headphones.
wink.gif

May 30, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #996 of 2,875

It's pretty subjective I didn't mind how the 551/550 looked, it suited my kinda 'style' I didn't really mind the large cups I considered it but when I tested it I couldn't get a consistent seal so I struck it for that, personally I wouldn't wear beats, souls or skullcandy's out even if they were great sounding, they don't suit me, my brother rocks a pair of solo 2's well
I sort of disagree I'm all for people making whatever they like, we the consumer have the right to not buy stuff.
all sorts of people dress differently, wear what you like, the h6's have a pretty broad appeal look but I have friends that the h6 would look out of place on.
But yes please if you're on public transport don't go open back!

I do agree in the comfort of your own home strap on a jecklin float to your hearts content.
I think it was crazier when akg said the k872 sounded like a closed 812, then said it was meant for professional studio use

Also it completely depends on our headsizes. I am a person with a head on which anything bigger than H6 would look like a helmet, But I remember when one of my friend tried putting on the K551, it looked much better on him(Big headed-person!!). I also wished if Beats sounded better, they know well how to make it a style statement, but nothing beyond that. :wink:

May 30, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #997 of 2,875
  Also it completely depends on our headsizes. I am a person with a head on which anything bigger than H6 would look like a helmet, But I remember when one of my friend tried putting on the K551, it looked much better on him(Big headed-person!!). I also wished if Beats sounded better, they know well how to make it a style statement, but nothing beyond that. :wink:

yeh my head is bigger than the norm I wear a 7 5/8th hat. look early beats sucked balls (testing in store models on in store equipment) my brother's solo2's were tolerable but probably twice the price they ought to be, honestly I don't like how beats look, everybody's different, thankfully the h6 can unite us! 
happy_face1.gif

May 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #998 of 2,875

Thats a problem with the track. Nuthin but a G Thang is not balanced. My Dali speakers produce the same imbalance. Nothing to do with the headphones.
wink.gif

It is a lot worse then other headphones. Also it is noticeable in a number of tracks (non-rap) where it wasn't with other headphones.

I sent them back via Amazon for replacement.

May 31, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #999 of 2,875
  It is a lot worse then other headphones. Also it is noticeable in a number of tracks (non-rap) where it wasn't with other headphones.

I sent them back via Amazon for replacement.

That just implies the tracks are not recorded fully balanced and the H6 are accurately, truthfully showing you as things are. Again, nothing wrong with the headphones.

May 31, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,000 of 2,875
Personally, I DO think it may be a defective pair if it's THAT noticeable. Especially if he has other high end sets that do not do the same thing. The drivers may be unbalanced.

May 31, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,001 of 2,875
  Personally, I DO think it may be a defective pair if it's THAT noticeable. Especially if he has other high end sets that do not do the same thing. The drivers may be unbalanced.

Of course, in that case it should be noticable on all songs if the drivers are unbalanced.

May 31, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #1,002 of 2,875

Of course, in that case it should be noticable on all songs if the drivers are unbalanced.

It is noticeable on a lot of tracks but there had to be some bass present. It wasn't really noticeable (or extremely minor) on an entirely piano or guitar tracks.

I was comparing them to Meze 99s, Sony MDR-7506, AKG K271, JVC SZ2000 and Superlux HD681 EVO.

May 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,003 of 2,875
  It is noticeable on a lot of tracks but there had to be some bass present. It wasn't really noticeable (or extremely minor) on an entirely piano or guitar tracks.

I was comparing them to Meze 99s, Sony MDR-7506, AKG K271, JVC SZ2000 and Superlux HD681 EVO.

Definately a defective pair. Good decision to return them.
redface.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,005 of 2,875
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back