Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Nov 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #211 of 2,875
  I just picked these up from the Apple Store yesterday after a few long months of researching and reading reviews on just about every single closed back, over ear headphone out there. I considered all sorts of different models such as the Mad Dogs, Focal Classics, DT770's as well as these H6's. After a first few initial listens, I am very impressed. Firstly, I am using these non amplified on an iMac (primarily for work). When at home these are paired with a MacBook Pro, iPhone 6 and a iPad 4. Reading the various reviews on the H6's, many have said they are pretty light on the low end but I am very satisfied with the bass on these headphones. I can only imagine the sound getting better once an amp is utilized. Definitely looking into some portable and desktop amps. Very impressed so far.

I pair mine with the Oppo HA-1 when at home and can say the difference in base is very noticeable. They sound absolutely great. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #212 of 2,875
  I just picked these up from the Apple Store yesterday after a few long months of researching and reading reviews on just about every single closed back, over ear headphone out there. I considered all sorts of different models such as the Mad Dogs, Focal Classics, DT770's as well as these H6's. After a first few initial listens, I am very impressed. Firstly, I am using these non amplified on an iMac (primarily for work). When at home these are paired with a MacBook Pro, iPhone 6 and a iPad 4. Reading the various reviews on the H6's, many have said they are pretty light on the low end but I am very satisfied with the bass on these headphones. I can only imagine the sound getting better once an amp is utilized. Definitely looking into some portable and desktop amps. Very impressed so far.

You'd probably get a better upgrade with an external DAC than an amp. Although a combined DAC/amp unit would be evern better. You can get cheap USB DACs (eg. sabre) that are significant improvement than apple onboard.

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #214 of 2,875
My current (kinda finalised, because I'm a broke ass student) set up now is H6 with FiiO's RC-MH1 headphone replacement cable with PCOCC-A copper wire, FiiO E07k Andes, Apple Lightning to USB CCK and iPhone 6 Plus. Never been happier.

The cable is the final jigsaw puzzle piece. The high quality copper giving the H6 the warmth it has always, slightly, lacked. Its midrange is now more pronounced and bass more hard hitting. But the original brilliant clarity of the H6 is still there. And now the H6 is an all-rounder, suitable for all music genres. All I need to do is tweak the treble and bass gain from within the E07k DAC. I think I'm a happy man now. I should stop visiting head-fi so often. HAHAHA

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #215 of 2,875
I really would like to try these to compare to p7's.  Is anybody from this thread looking to sell their H6?
redface.gif
 I am looking for a black or agave green pair in excellent to mint condition.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #216 of 2,875
I really would like to try these to compare to p7's.  Is anybody from this thread looking to sell their H6?:xf_eek:  I am looking for a black or agave green pair in excellent to mint condition.

IMO, you will probably get more fun factor from the P7

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #218 of 2,875

From my brief audition I believe the H6 will be the portable I have been looking for.  In due time I will know for sure.

I own the H6 but have auditioned the P7 a lot at the Apply store. The P7 is thicker and warmer, much more bass. But it's still retains good detail and treble extension. I find it very hard to pick between them. I went for the H6, I think the P7 is a little too blingy to wear out but if I has unlimited money I'd definitely have both.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #220 of 2,875
  I own the H6 but have auditioned the P7 a lot at the Apply store. The P7 is thicker and warmer, much more bass. But it's still retains good detail and treble extension. I find it very hard to pick between them. I went for the H6, I think the P7 is a little too blingy to wear out but if I has unlimited money I'd definitely have both.

I am trying to be thrifty in my old age! 
smile_phones.gif
 I am also noticing enhanced bass starts to wear on me after long listening sessions even when executed as well as the P7's.  I think that is a sign of getting older as well.
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #222 of 2,875
I auditioned a pair at the store but the assistant was pretty unkind so I just pulled the trigger on Amazon. Personally, I found them to be a little better than the P7s but they are both fantastic. I could be very happy with either of them.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #223 of 2,875
My H6 became my portable headphone on account of ordering the new McIntosh cans. I actually bought a 2nd pair of H6s because the way they can link together is perfect for travelling on a plan with the wife. iPad + 2 H6s + soon to come Oppo HA2 = perfect portable travel theatre for two

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #224 of 2,875
I know this question was already asked back on page 11, but I thought I'd check for an update: has anyone auditioned the DJ Khaled version?  The H6's got my attention when they were first announced because I liked their look, but everything on these forums confirms that they're fairly neutral; meant for acoustics and natural bass.  Since there's nothing on these forums about the Khaled version, I went and e-mailed B&O and this is what I got back:
====
Thanks for contact us.
Here is some information about BeoPlay H6 with DJ Khaled:
How BeoPlay H6 with DJ Khaled differs from the well-known BeoPlay H6?
While keeping the overall design and delivering the best of craftsmanship and sound, we have adjusted H6 to fit DJ Khaled’s audience:
- The DJ Khaled headphone has a completely new driver that can deliver the performance fit for the hip hop genre – and to be more specific, the staging has been narrowed, and the headphone has an extra bass port
- Headband has been made thicker and the aluminium arms changed dimension to become even more robust
- The earcups rotate 180 degrees
- The cord has become longer, with the coiled section and the angled jack
- We include a ¼ inch to 3,5 mm adaptor into the box, but remove the flight adaptor and the carrying pouch
- The colour scheme has been chosen by DJ Khaled to fit his favourite clothing pieces.
The headphones will only be marketed in the US and we will not be able to support the campaign in other regions.
====
So not much information besides that first line.  A whole new driver means none of the comments I've read on the original H6 can be taken into account, and I have no clue what a bass port is.  (Does that require a battery?)  Was hoping they might be in the same vein as a Denon AH-D2000 or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm, but I think I'm gonna have to pass unless someone's actually tried 'em on.  Don't wanna take a chance and pull the trigger only for them to be Beats knockoffs.  I mean, I like a little bass, but I've got my limits.  And sound quality is priority numero uno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back