Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Feb 22, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #32 of 2,875
So I managed to hold out for a whole 12 hours before the lure of the local Apple store became too much. Bought the black ones. 12 months ago I would have gone for the natural but I like the classic, under-stated black more. I already knew how good these were, like many others I'm sure, I demo'd them a couple of times in the Apple store next to the B&W P7. I've had MANY closed cans over the years, Beyer DT-250, AT ESW9, DT1350, Momentums, HD-25II and more. All of those had flaws either in SQ or build or usability. I'm not going to rush to declare the H6 better than all them but it is off to a very promising start.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #34 of 2,875
Had been listening this arvo and was a bit disappointed, they didn't seem as clear as I remembered from the Apple Store. Burn in maybe I was thinking. Then I remembered I still had my iMod EQ set to treble reducer from using my Fisher DBAIIs... That's more like it!

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #36 of 2,875
  I don't even know if a regular 3.5-3.5mm male trs jack cable will fit in the headphone input since B&O seems to have put a proprietary design  (there's an aluminum protector thingy around the ends of the cable). Anyone with Beats/V-moda detachable headphone cable and H6 can try it out?

I have both V-moda M100 and Beoplay H6,

The V-moda M100 cable fits perfectly, My M100 is white, the cable is grey, totally match my Silver Beoplay H6.

I throw away the H6 original cable, it degrades the sound quality and is a crappy cable....completely ********...
I also tested with a Furutech OFC cable (I have to brutally grind the insert of cable to fit in by some power tools),
OFC cable makes the sound less "Thin" and maintaining the Airy sound of H6... add a bit "warm" feeling.

Btw, I feel that H6 must be Amped to show it's full potential... only on iphone or ipod (me is ipod 5G), sound too thin and weak...
After Amped with Corda Stepdance + Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC....  Perfect for Jazz !

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #37 of 2,875

I have both V-moda M100 and Beoplay H6,

The V-moda M100 cable fits perfectly, My M100 is white, the cable is grey, totally match my Silver Beoplay H6.

I throw away the H6 original cable, it degrades the sound quality and is a crappy cable....completely ********...
I also tested with a Furutech OFC cable (I have to brutally grind the insert of cable to fit in by some power tools),
OFC cable makes the sound less "Thin" and maintaining the Airy sound of H6... add a bit "warm" feeling.

Btw, I feel that H6 must be Amped to show it's full potential... only on iphone or ipod (me is ipod 5G), sound too thin and weak...
After Amped with Corda Stepdance + Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC....  Perfect for Jazz !

Thanks for confirming this man! Now I don't have to worry about getting replacement cables because my local headphone store sells V-moda headphone cables.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #38 of 2,875
Hmmm... the longest cable vmoda have is 175cm which is an awkward length, too long for portable, not long enough for home use. B&O told me they have longer audio only cables available and to contact a local outlet to order them.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #41 of 2,875
  So I managed to hold out for a whole 12 hours before the lure of the local Apple store became too much. Bought the black ones. 12 months ago I would have gone for the natural but I like the classic, under-stated black more. I already knew how good these were, like many others I'm sure, I demo'd them a couple of times in the Apple store next to the B&W P7. I've made MANY closed cans over the year, Beyer DT-250, AT ESW9, DT1350, Momentums, HD-25II and more. All of those had flaws either in SQ or build or usability. I'm not going to rush to declare the H6 better than all them but it is off to a very promising start.

What was your impression of the P7s?

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #42 of 2,875
  What was your impression of the P7s?

I listened to them side-by-side with the H6 a couple of times. I reckon the two headphones are very close in terms of technical ability (detail, separation, clarity etc.) but the P7 is warmer and thicker. I quite liked the P7, it was surprisingly clear and detailed for such a warm headphone, it's rare that closed phones don't become muddy when they are warmish like that, like the momentums for example. I prefer a flatter response so preferred the H6. I also think the P7 is a bit big and chunky for portable, they're also too shiny.

It's interesting that the P7 thread has 60 pages but there is very little interest in the H6 here. It is such a great headphone, definitely the best full-sized closed headphone I've heard.

I've ordered a couple of audio only M100 cables from v-moda. Then I'm just gonna use a generic extension cable with them, I decided coiled will be too much of a pain in the bum.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #43 of 2,875

I listened to them side-by-side with the H6 a couple of times. I reckon the two headphones are very close in terms of technical ability (detail, separation, clarity etc.) but the P7 is warmer and thicker. I quite liked the P7, it was surprisingly clear and detailed for such a warm headphone, it's rare that closed phones don't become muddy when they are warmish like that, like the momentums for example. I prefer a flatter response so preferred the H6. I also think the P7 is a bit big and chunky for portable, they're also too shiny.

It's interesting that the P7 thread has 60 pages but there is very little interest in the H6 here. It is such a great headphone, definitely the best full-sized closed headphone I've heard.

I've ordered a couple of audio only M100 cables from v-moda. Then I'm just gonna use a generic extension cable with them, I decided coiled will be too much of a pain in the bum.

If one listens to acoustic or classical music, I'd go witht he H6s pretty much every time. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #44 of 2,875
  If one listens to acoustic or classical music, I'd go witht he H6s pretty much every time. 

I noticed you posting in the P7 thread, do you have both? What's your thoughts on them?
I actually quite like a thick warm headphone for acoustic and classical, it's louder, busier music that gets muddy. Strings particularly would sound beautiful and rich on the P7 IMO.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #45 of 2,875

I noticed you posting in the P7 thread, do you have both? What's your thoughts on them?
I actually quite like a thick warm headphone for acoustic and classical, it's louder, busier music that gets muddy. Strings particularly would sound beautiful and rich on the P7 IMO.

Pretty much all summed up here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-13-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back