Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #1,471 of 2,875

The fit is exactly the same on V1 and V2 of the H6.  I literally had the H6 v2 and the H7 at the same time for about a half hour.  I never measured them, but to me the size of the plastic ring that locks into place on each was identical...which would mean you can use the H7 pads on the H6 if you found either version of it to be superior.  Personally, in wired mode, the H7 was close enough to v2 that I kept the H7 because of the comfort factor and the bluetooth, even if I don't use it that often.  The depth of the pads really makes a difference.

Exactly how "close" was the sound when wired?

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #1,473 of 2,875
To me there was a touch more bass extension on the H7s but I attribute that to deeper ear pads so I really think they are almost identical. Others have said no way but they mostly are talking BT vs wired H6V2.

I see. I guess that's not so bad then. I'll have to pass by the Apple store and ask to hear the H7s wired. I really did not like the wireless sound at all.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,474 of 2,875
  I've had the B&O H6 for around 2 months now, using them daily during my commute, a replacement for my DT1350.....and I have to say, they are absolutely, stonking brilliant!

I picked them up for a great price on these forums, in mint condition, and while I originally had reservations about the bass, I now hear what "quality" and "layered" bass is all about.

Here is my comparison to my 5+ year old Beyer DT1350, which were previously used on my daily commute Both driven by the iBasso DX50:

Mid Range

DT1350: Forward, clear, at times "shouty" but nonetheless very enjoyable and a focal point of the sound signature (along with bass).
B&O H6: Well balanced, forward but not shouty as the DT1350. Generally very smooth and very pleasing. Its clear and upfront in the soundstage.

Treble

DT1350: Detailed, clear, not piercing at all.
B&O H6: Same as DT1350.

Bass

DT1350: Hits very hard, good slam, lots of mid bass.
B&O H6: Also hits hard, not as much mid bass as DT1350 but better sub (low) bass. Has much better quality bass, the layering is noticeably better. The bass really took me by surprise on the H6.Very enjoyable.

Soundstage

DT1350: Closed, narrow, in your head sound, congested, the low point of the sound signature.
B&O H6: Brilliant, open, clear, out of head sound with certain tracks, the soundstage helps create clarity with instruments, increases perceived detail retrieval. 

Comfort

DT1350: I've worn these for 6 hours straight. Yes, it hurts the ears.
B&O H6: Just lovely, light as a feather, lighter than DT1350, no comfort issues at all.

In conclusion, these are my favourite headphones I currently own. I've owned many headphones over the years, some mid range, some high end. The H6 are one of the cheaper headphones I have purchased and I actually consider these the overall best I have ever purchased. The comfort, the sound, the closed back design, the aesthetics, removable cable, dual entry cable option, build quality; it just ticks all the boxes for me.

The Danish really know how to produce great sound. Thank you Bang & Olufsen for giving us a well balanced headphone, a jack of all trades if you will.
beerchug.gif

Is the B&O the 1st or 2nd gen?

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,475 of 2,875

Is the B&O the 1st or 2nd gen?

1st. Would never dream of buying the 2nd gen due to emphasised bass and other changes people here talk about.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,477 of 2,875

I mean, is the bass lacking on the 1st gen? Or does it just need a small amp to bring it forward?

The comparisons made make it seem like the 1st gen has no bass and is really quiet un-amped. 

The bass is far from lacking, it is in fact tilted slightly more than neutral. It is between the hm5 and hifiman edition s

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,479 of 2,875
  The bass is far from lacking, it is in fact tilted slightly more than neutral. It is between the hm5 and hifiman edition s

I've not tried either of those you mentioned. But i'll take your word for it. I'm looking for a portable set that places the Vocals well in front of the bass. But with Bass that still fills nicely, and is clearly present, just not overpowering the rest. This would also mean clearer details in highs and mids. So i'm not sure which to choose. Gen 1 or 2.

Because, if Gen 1 has more than enough Bass to satisfy, then the extra bass in the Gen 2s would be too much? I'm not sure. I haven't tried either.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #1,481 of 2,875
I've not tried either of those you mentioned. But i'll take your word for it. I'm looking for a portable set that places the Vocals well in front of the bass. But with Bass that still fills nicely, and is clearly present, just not overpowering the rest. This would also mean clearer details in highs and mids. So i'm not sure which to choose. Gen 1 or 2.

Because, if Gen 1 has more than enough Bass to satisfy, then the extra bass in the Gen 2s would be too much? I'm not sure. I haven't tried either.

You'll be fine with both of them but Gen 2 treble goes a tad bit farther and bass gets lower without flooding everything so Gen 2 would be a closer to your described preferences.. Bass in Gen 2 is just like a far away thunder, does not "cover" any sound nearby but you still can feel how powerfull it can be if there is a need for it.

Ive heard both of them and chosen Gen 2 - Gen 1 sound is more relaxed for me while Gen 2 gets more clarity, detail and sub bass while still being pleasant to ear (nothing piercing, nothing standing out without harmony.

If you've ever tried IE800 IEMs (my personal king of clarity, detail and bass) the Gen 2 will be a closer in overall signature than Gen 1. That being said, when I've heard Gen 1 for the first time I just took my wallet out and Id buy them instantly but luckily for me I wanted to check the price online and Ive noticed that there is a ninja called Gen 2 getting even better reviews.

So I thought: if these are alreadt this good, I need to check Gen 2 before buying anything. And since all purchases from B&O made in December came with free returns anyway.... :)

Another TLDR; post :)

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,482 of 2,875

if you want vocals to be ahead of the bass, I think the 1st gen will do it for you

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,483 of 2,875
You'll be fine with both of them but Gen 2 treble goes a tad bit farther and bass gets lower without flooding everything so Gen 2 would be a closer to your described preferences.. Bass in Gen 2 is just like a far away thunder, does not "cover" any sound nearby but you still can feel how powerfull it can be if there is a need for it.

Ive heard both of them and chosen Gen 2 - Gen 1 sound is more relaxed for me while Gen 2 gets more clarity, detail and sub bass while still being pleasant to ear (nothing piercing, nothing standing out without harmony.

If you've ever tried IE800 IEMs (my personal king of clarity, detail and bass) the Gen 2 will be a closer in overall signature than Gen 1. That being said, when I've heard Gen 1 for the first time I just took my wallet out and Id buy them instantly but luckily for me I wanted to check the price online and Ive noticed that there is a ninja called Gen 2 getting even better reviews.

So I thought: if these are alreadt this good, I need to check Gen 2 before buying anything. And since all purchases from B&O made in December came with free returns anyway....
smily_headphones1.gif

Another TLDR; post
smily_headphones1.gif

How would the Gen 2 or Gen 1 compare to the H7s wired?

I went to the Apple store today and bought a 3.5mm cable. Hooked them up to my phone. They were about 30% louder, and 100% clearer. Still had that wireless fuzz, but the sound signature was pretty good. The vocals in front, everything else decently behind. Though the Bass, was very present and thumpy, it did cover the mids quite a bit. 

I like thunderous, just not in my face. (In other words, I like to feel and hear the rumble, but it not bleed into the details).

Such a shame there's no place with H6s in AZ.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #1,485 of 2,875

Haha this is such a difficult choice. I'll probably end up trying the Gen 1 first since it's much easier and cheaper to find used. I'll go from there I guess :p Does it really need a portable amp though? Is it a must for good sound from these?

no it does not require an amp, from a power perspective, even the hd800 can be driven by my phone.... so it's the furthest from the truth. It sounds plenty good and the difference between using your phone and a dedicated amp is minuscule at best. I'm sure you will enjoy them without an amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back