Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #2,731 of 2,875
I am not sure about the EMU or Fostex headphones. My reference would be my own pair of Denon D5000s which sound more V-shaped than the H6s, with more pronounced highs and high mids. The low bass hits harder than the mid bass. It could be that the sound of the EMU (which to my knowledge is based on the D5000s) and newer Fostex models have altered to a more balanced profile, but I doubt that.
To my ears, although freguency charts show otherwise, the H6s sound pretty balanced. My ears need very little time to adjust to their sound, like the AKG 550MKIIs, which are 'objectively' pretty neutral and tonally balanced. The H6s, to my ears are a tiny bit brighter, Unfortunately I cannot come up with an AKG-branded upgrade for the H6s
The current Denon line I haven't properly auditioned (the D7200 for a short time), but from reading reviews and comments on forums the D5200 and D7200 could be the right candidates. Both easy listening, clear, but not bright sounding, pretty balanced overall. But again, just from what I make out of the reviews and comments I have read the last year or so. (I was interested in one of these)
A good candidate I think may well be a pair of Audio Technica MRS7(B)s. They have a similar gentle brightness as the H6s, bass is equally a bit lean, but the overall sound is more detailed and more resolving altogether.
I’m pretty sure the newer model Fostex/EMU use a different version of that Foster driver, or at least a different implementation. Again, they all sound different. I wouldn’t describe the EMU Teak or Ebony as v-shaped, theyre pretty balanced. The Ebony I have is actually rather warm but in a way that’s still quick and smooth. It’s pretty amazing.

I agree about the H6 being pretty balanced overall despite not measuring that way. It’s a nice sounding headphone, although the thinness of the midrange sometimes wasn’t to my taste. The new AKG K371 is a great sounding headphone but not really an upgrade. I guess aside from the Fostex headphones the Elegia and Aeon Closed 2 are options but not very similar sounding I don’t think.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #2,732 of 2,875
I am not sure about the EMU or Fostex headphones. My reference would be my own pair of Denon D5000s which sound more V-shaped than the H6s, with more pronounced highs and high mids. The low bass hits harder than the mid bass. It could be that the sound of the EMU (which to my knowledge is based on the D5000s) and newer Fostex models have altered to a more balanced profile, but I doubt that.
To my ears, although freguency charts show otherwise, the H6s sound pretty balanced. My ears need very little time to adjust to their sound, like the AKG 550MKIIs, which are 'objectively' pretty neutral and tonally balanced. The H6s, to my ears are a tiny bit brighter, Unfortunately I cannot come up with an AKG-branded upgrade for the H6s
The current Denon line I haven't properly auditioned (the D7200 for a short time), but from reading reviews and comments on forums the D5200 and D7200 could be the right candidates. Both easy listening, clear, but not bright sounding, pretty balanced overall. But again, just from what I make out of the reviews and comments I have read the last year or so. (I was interested in one of these)
A good candidate I think may well be a pair of Audio Technica MRS7(B)s. They have a similar gentle brightness as the H6s, bass is equally a bit lean, but the overall sound is more detailed and more resolving altogether.
I agree with your analysis of the H6 vs Fostex. However, the Msr7b is a different animal imo. To my ears, the H6 is smooth and relatively balanced... Just a really easy listen that still brings energy and dynamics. Bass on the Msr7b is tighter with less quantity. Mids are a little more aggressive with more crunch and bite. Upper mids / lower treble are more in your face with further extension. Also a bit more technical.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #2,733 of 2,875
Pro 82 is a huge upgrade IMHO: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iscussion-thread.849965/page-15#post-13587998
Although it may be too big an upgrade, if you really want to retain the same sound signature...
Pro 82 is more natural upgrade from H7.

For comparison with more headphones, look here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...ns-and-discussion-thread.849965/post-13490895
Wow is the Pro 82 that large of an upgrade? I've read polarizing comments on the Pro 82, will look it up further thank's for bringing this to my attention.
It's odd also because I've seen several comments here finding the H7 to be a downgrade from the H6. Perhaps the H6's quality is inconsistent across units. Or the H7.

I’m pretty sure the newer model Fostex/EMU use a different version of that Foster driver, or at least a different implementation. Again, they all sound different. I wouldn’t describe the EMU Teak or Ebony as v-shaped, theyre pretty balanced. The Ebony I have is actually rather warm but in a way that’s still quick and smooth. It’s pretty amazing.

I agree about the H6 being pretty balanced overall despite not measuring that way. It’s a nice sounding headphone, although the thinness of the midrange sometimes wasn’t to my taste. The new AKG K371 is a great sounding headphone but not really an upgrade. I guess aside from the Fostex headphones the Elegia and Aeon Closed 2 are options but not very similar sounding I don’t think.
AEON Flow Closed 2 is on a pretty good deal, but I'm concerned about their lack of bass in comparison to the H6.
The AEON's are quite portable, whereas the Fostex are not. That said, I really like the D5000s. I also wonder whether the upcoming PM-3 successor, the Drop + Panda THX, is worth an upgrade or just a sidegrade (audio quality wise).

I agree with your analysis of the H6 vs Fostex. However, the Msr7b is a different animal imo. To my ears, the H6 is smooth and relatively balanced... Just a really easy listen that still brings energy and dynamics. Bass on the Msr7b is tighter with less quantity. Mids are a little more aggressive with more crunch and bite. Upper mids / lower treble are more in your face with further extension. Also a bit more technical.
Do you prefer the H6 vs the Msr7b when it comes to bass heavy songs? I noticed you own both and the H6 came back into your ownership just recently, after owning the Msr7b.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #2,734 of 2,875
daijoubu86 - Honestly, if I could only keep one of the two for all my listening, I'd roll with the H6. It's just so soothing, yet at the same time can get you moving. I consider the Msr7b bass light for my tastes, while I consider the H6 ever so slightly North of neutral. If I could find a can that took on all the best traits of both, I'd be in heaven. Throw in some of the mids characteristics from the 99 Classics, and I'd be set for a very long time. The H6 is the only headphone I ever truly regretted selling, and now I have it modded for balanced use. From what I've read thus far about the ATH-WP900, this just might be the one.

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #2,735 of 2,875
daijoubu86 - Honestly, if I could only keep one of the two for all my listening, I'd roll with the H6. It's just so soothing, yet at the same time can get you moving. I consider the Msr7b bass light for my tastes, while I consider the H6 ever so slightly North of neutral. If I could find a can that took on all the best traits of both, I'd be in heaven. Throw in some of the mids characteristics from the 99 Classics, and I'd be set for a very long time. The H6 is the only headphone I ever truly regretted selling, and now I have it modded for balanced use. From what I've read thus far about the ATH-WP900, this just might be the one.

Thanks for sharing. When I tried the H6 i was initially wasn't too impressed with the bass, but after trying in a quiet place and fiddling with the seal, I find that the bass is just there, just enough for it to be exciting, without being boomy and uncontrolled. I hear for once sub-bass that I do not hear previously, although it isn't too loud. But I do find the mids to be slightly recessed/missing.
Perhaps I am in the same boat as you, and if you do end up with something you consider an upgrade do share with us =D.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #2,736 of 2,875
A rather late reply I guess, but I didn't realize you were discussing the 2nd generation H6s, I own the 1st gen of H6s, which bass is leaner, a bit less mid-bass.
Not that I think the 2nd gen has THAT much more bass than the 1st gen H6s, but with a more bassy sound in mind, the MRS7Bs may be a bit too different, I think I can agree with that.
But still I think the mids and highs are rather similar, the MRS7Bs are tuned slightly brighter. The 2nd gen H6s are slightly more V-shaped than the 1st gen, if I remember it correctly.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #2,737 of 2,875
Recently ranked every headphone I own, which made me revisit these 1st generation H6s again. And they still sound absolutely wonderful.
Every now and then I feel like a moron for owning this many headphones (and to think that it aren't nearly as many as most users own here at Head-fi). I could hapily live with only one pair of H6s for the rest of my life. (true, the same thing could be said for every other pair I own).
They sound so open, easy going, never strained, with lots of clarity but not overly bright. What strikes me the most with these is their bass. I favor a bigger than neutral bass and these H6s have objectively, similar to the K550s, the least amount of bass. But subjectively I don't mind, I just don't feel a lack thereof.
The main critique I can find with these headphones is that their timbre is a bit thin-ish, instruments seem to lack a bit of body, less tactile, less defined in texture and volume. And although the sound isn't laid-back, the overall impact and dynamics are a bit reticent, a bit too reserved. Difficult to explain, they get physically in the front row, where all the action is, but only act as a bystander, they don't want to get their feet wet.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2,738 of 2,875
Hellooo,
i still like my h6g2 a lot but i will buy a Headphone amp with balanced outputs and wondering if someone tried it and if there are any difference. I still have the stock cable so i need to buy something anyways

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #2,739 of 2,875
Hellooo,
i still like my h6g2 a lot but i will buy a Headphone amp with balanced outputs and wondering if someone tried it and if there are any difference. I still have the stock cable so i need to buy something anyways
The H6 has to be modified to be used balanced. In stock form, the headphone is not wired to accommodate it.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,740 of 2,875
How does the H6 (2nd Gen) compare to the H9 (1st Gen) sound-wise? I've searched through both this thread and the H9 thread but I can't find a detailed comparison of them (apart from someone mentioning that the bass on the H6 is cleaner / more detailed). Are the mids and highs on the H6 similar to the H9?

I found the H9 quite bassy, sometimes overwhelmingly so, and the overall sound signature to be somewhat fatiguing. I thought parts of the H9's frequency response were nicely detailed, but the bass was muddy to my ears. It was a more forward sound compared to my Beyerdynamic headphones (DT1350 and Lagoon ANC), which are more open sounding. Is the H6 similar to the H9 in terms of bass quantity (just cleaner) or is the bass more reined in? Does it have a more forward sound like the H9 or is it more open/airy like the Beyers?

I was thinking of picking up a pair of H6s for at-home use based on the reviews and posts I've read on how they sound, but my experience with the H9s is making me second guess that thought.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #2,741 of 2,875
How does the H6 (2nd Gen) compare to the H9 (1st Gen) sound-wise? I've searched through both this thread and the H9 thread but I can't find a detailed comparison of them (apart from someone mentioning that the bass on the H6 is cleaner / more detailed). Are the mids and highs on the H6 similar to the H9?

I found the H9 quite bassy, sometimes overwhelmingly so, and the overall sound signature to be somewhat fatiguing. I thought parts of the H9's frequency response were nicely detailed, but the bass was muddy to my ears. It was a more forward sound compared to my Beyerdynamic headphones (DT1350 and Lagoon ANC), which are more open sounding. Is the H6 similar to the H9 in terms of bass quantity (just cleaner) or is the bass more reined in? Does it have a more forward sound like the H9 or is it more open/airy like the Beyers?

I was thinking of picking up a pair of H6s for at-home use based on the reviews and posts I've read on how they sound, but my experience with the H9s is making me second guess that thought.
Based on how you describe the H9, I don't think my H6 sounds like that much at all. I've never heard the H9, so I can't make a direct comparison. H6 is definitely not heavy on the bass, and it never sounds fatiguing to my ears. It's one of the more open and airy closed backs I've owned. It's smooth and musical, yet maintains good energy and liveliness.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #2,742 of 2,875
Based on how you describe the H9, I don't think my H6 sounds like that much at all. I've never heard the H9, so I can't make a direct comparison. H6 is definitely not heavy on the bass, and it never sounds fatiguing to my ears. It's one of the more open and airy closed backs I've owned. It's smooth and musical, yet maintains good energy and liveliness.
Thanks for the insight. That sounds more to my liking. May have to pick up a pair.

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,743 of 2,875
Just wanted to report back after picking up a pair of H6. The sound is much more balanced – it doesn't have the overwhelming bass and harshness that bothered me with the H9 (1st Gen). It's a more open sound than the very forward sound of the H9, though not quite as open and airy as my closed-back Beyers. The sound is really quite impressive for such small and lightweight headphones.

Side note: the cable that ships with the Beyerdynamic Lagoon fits the H6. It's a bit tighter fit than the stock cable, but it does fit. Funnily enough, I find the H6 sounds better with the Lagoon's cable – it has a bit more body, sounds a touch livelier and opens up a bit more. I was surprised how much it changed the sound (I thought it would sound about the same).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #2,745 of 2,875
How does the sound of the H6 change with a well-paired amp? (from what I gather, it does benefit from being amped) Does it open up the soundstage a bit more, bring out a bit more detail? Any (preferably sub-$500) amps that you would recommend?
Yes, it does, you will be surprised.
However, from my experience, the H6 gen1 scale up better with amplifier.
The changing cable will result in much different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back