Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs - A Newer & MORE POWERFUL Sith Lord Emerges??
Dec 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #421 of 432
Hey chux,

I'm sure the bass on the H6 2nd Gen is not as pronounced as the Beats one. It HAS bass, but I'd never say it was overdone by any means.

Yes, you can def tweak the sound using a custom EQ. I actually do that with my Meze 99 Classics (and other HPs I own), which I just put on sale earlier today. They sound AS good as the 2nd Gen H6s but are way more comfortable, and def more premium looking as well! I had to sell my H6s off actually b/c of the comfort issue. That ribbed headband and those ear pads (over-ear my foot! lol more like on-ear) were too much for me. Even a buddy of mine who bought them had to return his as well due to the same issue.

Let me know if interested in the 99 Classics.
Oh, great to know...my ears are about 5cm-6cm long, would it hurt tho it feels on ear ?... im far away, the 99 looks cool but i prefer the modern look of the h6...thanks :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #422 of 432
Oh, great to know...my ears are about 5cm-6cm long, would it hurt tho it feels on ear ?... im far away, the 99 looks cool but i prefer the modern look of the h6...thanks :)

Yeah. Mine are maybe just under 5 cm tall/long, and yeah I thought they were too small. So maybe yeah. lol

Ok that's cool. They both actually came out last year. If you change your mind, let me know.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #423 of 432
Hey chux,

I'm sure the bass on the H6 2nd Gen is not as pronounced as the Beats one. It HAS bass, but I'd never say it was overdone by any means.

Yes, you can def tweak the sound using a custom EQ. I actually do that with my Meze 99 Classics (and other HPs I own), which I just put on sale earlier today. They sound AS good as the 2nd Gen H6s but are way more comfortable, and def more premium looking as well! I had to sell my H6s off actually b/c of the comfort issue. That ribbed headband and those ear pads (over-ear my foot! lol more like on-ear) were too much for me. Even a buddy of mine who bought them had to return his as well due to the same issue.

Let me know if interested in the 99 Classics.

After ALL that hype and praise, you are selling the Meze 99's?! :) - What happened?! lol

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #424 of 432
After ALL that hype and praise, you are selling the Meze 99's?! :) - What happened?! lol

LOL.........Hey Mix, what up?!

Basically it came down to a comfort issue. After stretching out the headband due to some clamping issues (which I didn't really notice initially) and getting upgraded (and enlarged) ear pads as well, I still at times felt some discomfort with the 99 Cs. I also felt that part of that was b/c they seemed SLIGHTLY bulky too. They are full-sized HPs, so I guess that just comes with the territory. The Senn HD1s however sounded just like them with my Meze 99 C custom EQ (since they apparently have very similar sound signatures), but were noticeably more comfortable, much like my old Sony MDR-1As, which were the most comfortable HPs I've ever owned. The HD1s were equal to that or else a VERY close second, and more portable too. So it was VERY close actually.

I will STILL continue to recommend the 99 Cs though. Just because I found them to be a bit bulky doesn't mean most will. I think I'm a bit picky, and most ppl I don't think are. Plus the 99 Cs are arguably better-looking and more premium too (no plastic at all, no glue either.......not that I think the HD1 has any glue lol).

See here for more info.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #428 of 432
Well looks like I'm a bit behind on this thread then, ..lol. Only found it today. As I'm normally a Grado ooen back person ( 8 sets ) But apart from the clised back bluetooth headphones I wanted , needed a full size wired Closed back pair. After a week looking round reviews, prices , places to buy. Etc. I went for the Sennheiser HD569. Closed from anazon , £106. And for me for now at keast I have been impressed. Could have got cheaper on ebay...but chose Amazon just in case ........no worries so far. Early days. Wearing them as I'm typing this . So far tried from my hifi playing vinyl . Via schiit magni 2 amp. Low gain. And not turned up much lol
Playing the new ....Saturday Night Live In San Francisco - Al Di Meola, Paco, etc Brand New jazzy guitar album. Check thus out ....essential.
And also playing direct from mp3 players Inc, Fiio M7. All good . No amp, 20 ish volume .
Very easy to drive....music sounds good to me. Maybe needs more burn in . Plus let ears get used to clised back. Prefer my Grado open. BUT needed a closed type ........don't want music escaping.
These. HD569. Come with two cables. A long 2,5mm to 6.3mm top. Great for hifi amp. But I already have the Senn adapter 6.3mm to 3,5mm. To use mp3 or phones. ( save me keep swoping the cables over. As the other lead is a shorter one with 2,5mm to 3,5mm but Inc a one button unit to answer phones etc. Which also does play, pause, skip to next track. Useful I'm sure . But I only need these 569 for indoor use. Anyway back over to the megga long Grado threads. Lol
So for 2022 at around £100 I'd say these are a good one if need Closed Back.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #429 of 432
Well looks like I'm a bit behind on this thread then, ..lol. Only found it today. As I'm normally a Grado ooen back person ( 8 sets ) But apart from the clised back bluetooth headphones I wanted , needed a full size wired Closed back pair. After a week looking round reviews, prices , places to buy. Etc. I went for the Sennheiser HD569. Closed from anazon , £106. And for me for now at keast I have been impressed. Could have got cheaper on ebay...but chose Amazon just in case ........no worries so far. Early days. Wearing them as I'm typing this . So far tried from my hifi playing vinyl . Via schiit magni 2 amp. Low gain. And not turned up much lol
Playing the new ....Saturday Night Live In San Francisco - Al Di Meola, Paco, etc Brand New jazzy guitar album. Check thus out ....essential.
And also playing direct from mp3 players Inc, Fiio M7. All good . No amp, 20 ish volume .
Very easy to drive....music sounds good to me. Maybe needs more burn in . Plus let ears get used to clised back. Prefer my Grado open. BUT needed a closed type ........don't want music escaping.
These. HD569. Come with two cables. A long 2,5mm to 6.3mm top. Great for hifi amp. But I already have the Senn adapter 6.3mm to 3,5mm. To use mp3 or phones. ( save me keep swoping the cables over. As the other lead is a shorter one with 2,5mm to 3,5mm but Inc a one button unit to answer phones etc. Which also does play, pause, skip to next track. Useful I'm sure . But I only need these 569 for indoor use. Anyway back over to the megga long Grado threads. Lol
So for 2022 at around £100 I'd say these are a good one if need Closed Back.

That's cool Martyn!

I would've suggested if you like Sennheiser to get the HD 598 CS, but then I'd read that they look almost exactly the same as the 569, but more importantly that they sound EXACTLY the same as the 569 too! It's possible to find them the 598 CS cheaper new, but right now, neither Amazon or Sennheiser has them in stock anyway and I think they MAY have been discontinued too, so sounds like to me that you were better off buying the 569.

Glad you like them though! I've owned the $600 Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, and I remember getting the 598 CS for only $170 at the time and comparing them to the 1770 Pro, and I thought the 598 CS sounded BETTER! Not only that, but the 598 CS (so same with 569) DIDN'T need EQ'ing, where the 1770 did IMO. That's when I learned that buying expensive headphones doesn't ALWAYS mean they will sound better.

Yeah, open back will always IMO outdo closed-back, but you can't always use open-back in every situation.

Yeah the Grados do have that long thick cable! lol

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #430 of 432
Rock Star , Agree with some of your points. Grado do have thick cable but great sound if you can use open back. Got 8 sets Inc, PS1000, GS1000i, RS2e, Gold SR325i, SR225e, SR125e, two sets and SR60. But needed a closed back pair. Didn't want a Bluetooth type. Already have a Anker soundcore q30 for that. And these Senn hd 569.fit the bill, well built, comfort, sounds good too.....lol. And didn't want to spend loads ... £106. Was ok . Plus can return within about 30 days etc. Useful. Could have got cheaper on ebay . But needed to try first. Yes I could now return , and go the ebay way. Lol. But for now I'm keeping them. Been looking on market place tonight ?.A nearly new Senn hd 660s £200 + post. Got me thinking ....lol. But already have a mint hd580 I bought 20 years ago....hardly used . Lol

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #431 of 432
Rock Star , Agree with some of your points. Grado do have thick cable but great sound if you can use open back. Got 8 sets Inc, PS1000, GS1000i, RS2e, Gold SR325i, SR225e, SR125e, two sets and SR60. But needed a closed back pair. Didn't want a Bluetooth type. Already have a Anker soundcore q30 for that. And these Senn hd 569.fit the bill, well built, comfort, sounds good too.....lol. And didn't want to spend loads ... £106. Was ok . Plus can return within about 30 days etc. Useful. Could have got cheaper on ebay . But needed to try first. Yes I could now return , and go the ebay way. Lol. But for now I'm keeping them. Been looking on market place tonight ?.A nearly new Senn hd 660s £200 + post. Got me thinking ....lol. But already have a mint hd580 I bought 20 years ago....hardly used . Lol
Damn Martyn, 8?!! lol Wow!!

Yeah I actually had the RS2e a while back. I really liked it a lot, but I found issue with the comfort on them, even when I upgraded to the over-ear "G" pads. But also, another issue is at the time I found the AKG K702 to have a better sound (to me anyway), and were much more comfortable, so I'd switched to them. Finally about a year or so ago I switched again to the HiFiMan Sundara. The comparison there was much more of a preference vs. me thinking the Sundara was actually better. By that I mean, the K702 has a very wide "speaker-like" soundstage to it, where the Sundara is a bit more "narrow", but I also feel more detailed BECAUSE of the "narrow". I can hear the same details really on the K702, but they sound at time a bit too far away. I still think they're incredible though and would never stop recommending them.

I can understand that. Again, open-back doesn't work for EVERY scenario. lol

That's cool. Sounds like a good setup! For me, I got the Sundara for home "serious" listening, and the Sony LinkBuds for traveling and more so for outdoor workouts. They are essentially the world's first open-back earphones. lol I pair the Sundara with the iFi xDSD amp/DAC, which is an excellent option for top sound.

lol Yeah it's more work, but saves money. But sometimes it may not be worth it. Haha!

That's cool. If you're looking for another open-back over-ear to check out aside from the 660S that's wired and sounds amazing in the $300-$400 range, then yeah the Sundara would be my suggestion. You could also try out both and see which you like better. If I were to upgrade, it would be to the "step-up" headphones by HiFiMan the Sundara, which would be the Ananda. Supposed to be same great sound signature, but like a notch (or half notch?) better. I'm in no hurry to do that though. lol

Jul 8, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #432 of 432
Damn Martyn, 8?!! lol Wow!!

Yeah I actually had the RS2e a while back. I really liked it a lot, but I found issue with the comfort on them, even when I upgraded to the over-ear "G" pads. But also, another issue is at the time I found the AKG K702 to have a better sound (to me anyway), and were much more comfortable, so I'd switched to them. Finally about a year or so ago I switched again to the HiFiMan Sundara. The comparison there was much more of a preference vs. me thinking the Sundara was actually better. By that I mean, the K702 has a very wide "speaker-like" soundstage to it, where the Sundara is a bit more "narrow", but I also feel more detailed BECAUSE of the "narrow". I can hear the same details really on the K702, but they sound at time a bit too far away. I still think they're incredible though and would never stop recommending them.

I can understand that. Again, open-back doesn't work for EVERY scenario. lol

That's cool. Sounds like a good setup! For me, I got the Sundara for home "serious" listening, and the Sony LinkBuds for traveling and more so for outdoor workouts. They are essentially the world's first open-back earphones. lol I pair the Sundara with the iFi xDSD amp/DAC, which is an excellent option for top sound.

lol Yeah it's more work, but saves money. But sometimes it may not be worth it. Haha!

That's cool. If you're looking for another open-back over-ear to check out aside from the 660S that's wired and sounds amazing in the $300-$400 range, then yeah the Sundara would be my suggestion. You could also try out both and see which you like better. If I were to upgrade, it would be to the "step-up" headphones by HiFiMan the Sundara, which would be the Ananda. Supposed to be same great sound signature, but like a notch (or half notch?) better. I'm in no hurry to do that though. lol
Hey up . Lol I bought a mint senn HD660s this week , good price ....snd so far I like them.

Attachments

• 20220708_093319.jpg
    20220708_093319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back