Bang and Olufsen A8
Nov 8, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
Why do you have to be a troll? Your just gonna piss people off saying things like that. And, fyi, they don't cost anywhere near $250. I think they retail for $160.

-BT

I apologize if I offended you... just a light-hearted comment, didn't really have ill-intent there. They really aren't horrible, it's just that here in Canada, they actually do cost $250, and that, combined with the fact that they are only available at B&O stores, thus always that expensive, really annoys me.

It's only my opinion, which, the last the time I checked, were allowed?

Quote:

I bought mine through ebay for $90. If people are going to throw money away and buy through the ipod store or the B&O store that's their choice. But it's a really stupid one if they don't have the money to throw away.

IMO, I don't think it's stupid at all buying at B&O store. Some people don't want to take the risk of buying online, which, especially with eBay, can be a significant one. Scammers aside, tons of things can go wrong, such as warranty or if it arrives defective etc. I'm not saying it's bad buying online or anything, it's just that the risk is there (albeit small), and some people choose not to take that risk.

So, regarding your comment about people who prefer face-to-face transactions as stupid..... "Why do you have to be a troll? Your just gonna piss people off saying things like that."
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium
Hmm... the prices should not vary all to much. Bang & Olufsen has a policy that means that their products should cost the same whereever you buy them! Basicly the only way you can get them cheap, is if they have a scratch or something that reduces their value.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I have a friend who picked up some A8's and Form2's in Hong Kong for like $130 CAD ... compared to almost $250 here....
confused.gif

Is it true that Audio Technica headphones are dirt cheap in Japan? How about for brands like Sony and Panasonic (not headphones, but in general)?

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkKLC
I apologize if I offended you... just a light-hearted comment, didn't really have ill-intent there. They really aren't horrible, it's just that here in Canada, they actually do cost $250, and that, combined with the fact that they are only available at B&O stores, thus always that expensive, really annoys me.

It's only my opinion, which, the last the time I checked, were allowed?

IMO, I don't think it's stupid at all buying at B&O store. Some people don't want to take the risk of buying online, which, especially with eBay, can be a significant one. Scammers aside, tons of things can go wrong, such as warranty or if it arrives defective etc. I'm not saying it's bad buying online or anything, it's just that the risk is there (albeit small), and some people :choose not to take that risk.

So, regarding your comment about people who prefer face-to-face transactions as stupid..... "Why do you have to be a troll? Your just gonna piss people off saying things like that."
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry about the troll thing, it's hard to figure out tone from words. People keep saying the A8's sound worse than the ipod headphones which is a complete overreaction. They may disappoint for whatever reason, but the ipod earbuds are terrible in comparison.

The point about the warranty through the B&O store is valid. I was trying to make the point that if money is really tight then to spend $200+ for something that could be had for <$100 is kind of a no brainer. These things are so well made that I wouldn't worry much about them breaking.

I can't wait to try out the ATH-EC7. I ordered them (on backorder sadly) for $108. It's for my dad for xmas, but I may try them out before then...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominode
Quote:

Elite Series: Available with platinum, yellow/white gold or sterling silver and, optionally, with diamond, ruby, emerald and other precious and semi-precious stone. Pricing starts at $4,999 through market pricing - depending on materials.

And they likely sound as good as E5's,UM2's,etc. Maybe better. Maybe worse.
Dominode is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote

Bit off-topic, but these have to be THE MOST ridiculously pointless "phones" in the world. However, given the money, I'd still buy them. Just like people will buy B&O A8 despite their price and value.

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #35 of 41
To truly hear what the B&O A8 can do, you have to wait until about a month or two's usage until you can really say. The sound improves quite noticeably during the month or two, with the EQ becoming much more balanced and bass becoming fuller and tighter. Highs and mids are quite good to start with, but as mentioned it works very well across the spectrum after a while.

They admittedly do not share the enthusiastic bass representation of many other earphones, but for my types of listening it works perfectly. I really enjoy the gentle and tight bass, as opposed to something that sounds visceral in your ear but muddled (dare I mention the ex71s?
redface.gif
)

I think that a lot of people end up returning them, not realising the improvements in sound that takes place over a month or two. That's why you have one camp (they're crap, returned them after 2 days), and the other (love them, had them for ages).

Also, they have 3 year warranty and getting the shop to exchange them is usually a very pleasant affair -

You: "Hey, these don't work anymore"
Shop: "Oh, I'm sorry about that, take this new pair and come back if you have any problems"... etc.

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #36 of 41
The B&O A8 I purchased in Hong Kong about three years ago was bought from the B&O boutique store at the Pacific Place mall. It cost me US$75 at the time.

I doubt they were fake. They definitely sounded better than iPod earbuds. I enjoyed using them for several years and gave them to a friend who is enjoying them now.

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
The B&O A8 I purchased in Hong Kong about three years ago was bought from the B&O boutique store at the Pacific Place mall. It cost me US$75 at the time.

I doubt they were fake. They definitely sounded better than iPod earbuds. I enjoyed using them for several years and gave them to a friend who is enjoying them now.

For $75, they're probably worth it though. The build quality is impressive and the attention to detail is also rather phenomenal. However, the new ATH-EC7 GM look extremely good as well. Knowing their excellent track record, I'd try the EC7 before the A8s.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium
I have listened to a wide range of cans, currently listening to my sr-225 and Dire Straits.

Oh! You must be in heaven! I listen to a lot of Dire Straits on my SR-325i and it sounds incredible, especially the guitars!

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gt123
Could someone tell m whether or not these earphones are suitable for those who wear glasses?

I haven't tried them in a while, but I think it is suitable.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #41 of 41
I gave mine away. eyeglass wearing folk will have trouble with their over-the-ear design competing with their glasses. I tried to like them and I wanted to like them, but they didn't sound as good as my regular Apple iPod buds. Bought them in Toronto while I was on vacation a few years ago. Their beautiful design seduced me!

First class design, but functionally (for eyeglass wearers) and disappointment in the sound caused me to give them as a gift to someone that might be able to appreciate them. Maybe they just didn't fit my earholes well enough? If the sound works for you all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back