Bang and Olufsen A8
Nov 5, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 41
You pay for the name, you pay for the style, and that's where a big ol' chunk of the money goes, but these 'phones aren't bad at all. I found that they sound much much much better when listening quite quietly in a silent room, but the louder they are turned up, the less extraordinary they sound.

Maybe the sound labs at b&o are a little TOO good!

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 41
I don't think there's anything wrong with the A8's... it's just like buying jewellery or clothes... it's a fashion item.

At least for $240, you get sub-iPod stock bud quality sound VS no sound (ie. earrings).

EDIT: I may have hyperbolized it a little bit
evil_smiley.gif
.... didn't mean to start flame wars...

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 41
Just my two cents since I tried these buds: Im not going to comment on the phones, but I will comment on the fact that I think people not only hear very differently, they perceive very very differently too!

Having said that, I believe a <$100 pair of shure's or just about anything else above $40 would beat out these phones in performance... but we all know that good looks can be blinding!

Neil

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkKLC
At least for $240, you get sub-iPod stock bud quality sound VS no sound (ie. earrings).

Why do you have to be a troll? Your just gonna piss people off saying things like that. And, fyi, they don't cost anywhere near $250. I think they retail for $160.

I bought mine through ebay for $90. If people are going to throw money away and buy through the ipod store or the B&O store that's their choice. But it's a really stupid one if they don't have the money to throw away.

-BT

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
Why do you have to be a troll? Your just gonna piss people off saying things like that. And, fyi, they don't cost anywhere near $250. I think they retail for $160.

I bought mine through ebay for $90. If people are going to throw money away and buy through the ipod store or the B&O store that's their choice. But it's a really stupid one if they don't have the money to throw away.

-BT

Actually, I thought that quote was pretty amusing... Also, he's in Canada where the prices are higher.

BTW I bought a pair of A8s but I think of them as simply a cooler version of the stock iPod buds... To suggest that they provide a lot of "bang"-for-the buck sonically is a bit of a stretch IMHO...

Drew

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 41
Hmm I would buy the ATH-EC7 on site if i could! Buuuttt I live in Denmark so I don´t think thats going to happen somewhere in the near future.

I got my a8 with my beosound2, so i never had an option, but I still love my a8, just as I do with all of my small children
rs1smile.gif

But I can tell you this, they are the best stock buds that come with any mp3 (I know that some "jens of sweden" I think, come with some shures, but not normally)

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

The bottom line is, it is a status symbol for those who want to show their wealth.

While that may be true for other product offerings within the B&O line,I don't think that it applies to the A0-8's. I think the frame is well-designed and finished,but the sound quality,to my ears,is equivalent to stock Creative or Apple ear buds. And to many people,the "stock" offerings sound just fine,so the AO-8's offer a bit of brand cachet and a frame. Yawn....

Personally,I think the ultimate in portable conspicuous consumption or BLING BLING EXTREME (yep,worthy of all- caps as you'll agree upon reading the price)
is Futuresonics Elite line: the metals reference refers to the shell which contains the drivers,listed eye-candy is applied to the shell;a quote from their website follows:

Quote:

Elite Series: Available with platinum, yellow/white gold or sterling silver and, optionally, with diamond, ruby, emerald and other precious and semi-precious stone. Pricing starts at $4,999 through market pricing - depending on materials.

And they likely sound as good as E5's,UM2's,etc. Maybe better. Maybe worse.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #26 of 41
Hmm... the prices should not vary all to much. Bang & Olufsen has a policy that means that their products should cost the same whereever you buy them! Basicly the only way you can get them cheap, is if they have a scratch or something that reduces their value.
This is also the reason why you only can buy B&O from special B&O retailers.

I have heard of those that have bought their a8 really cheap in China, ebay or something, and of those that buy the a8 cheaper than approx. 75 usd.

I find this wierd since those that work at B&O in Struer here in Denmark can´t buy tham that cheap! hmmm Wierd
confused.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium
Hmm... the prices should not vary all to much. Bang & Olufsen has a policy that means that their products should cost the same whereever you buy them! Basicly the only way you can get them cheap, is if they have a scratch or something that reduces their value.
This is also the reason why you only can buy B&O from special B&O retailers.

I have heard of those that have bought their a8 really cheap in China, ebay or something, and of those that buy the a8 cheaper than approx. 75 usd.

I find this wierd since those that work at B&O in Struer here in Denmark can´t buy tham that cheap! hmmm Wierd
confused.gif

They sell them MUCH cheaper in asia. Some guys import them from asia and sell them via ebay. I think they sell for $60usd in china.

I plan on getting the ATH-EC7 pretty soon, myself.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #28 of 41
I think they can only be copies or stolen if they are sold at a price of 60 usd.

Asian companies have made quite a living out of copying danish design like Poul Henningsen, B&O (Jacob Jensen is their most known designer), Børge Mogensen, Piet Hein or Arne Jacobsen to name a few.

In the past month or so, there have several times been news reports, that mentioned those dammed Chinese copy companies and how they steel design worth millions of euros
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium
I think they can only be copies or stolen if they are sold at a price of 60 usd.

Asian companies have made quite a living out of copying danish design like Poul Henningsen, B&O (Jacob Jensen is their most known designer), Børge Mogensen, Piet Hein or Arne Jacobsen to name a few.

In the past month or so, there have several times been news reports, that mentioned those dammed Chinese copy companies and how they steel design worth millions of euros
frown.gif

I have a pair from the B&O store and one from the ebay importer (my dad bought his pair at the b&o store). They are both identical in every respect- even the packaging. I highly doubt they were stolen as the guy I ordered from had a long positive history on ebay, but anything sold on ebay could be stolen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back