Band Name Game II
Aug 1, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #53,057 of 126,926
Aug 1, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #53,058 of 126,926
  Hiss Golden Messenger

Great band. Haw is one of those amazing records that you hope people will continue to discover into the future, though I'm not sure good music has that kind of longevity any more. Maybe just too much music now. Be a shame if it's only known for that short moment, and then gone. The also very great collaboration with Steve Gunn on Golden Gunn from the same time is one not to miss too.

I'll go with Richmond Fontaine, a similar band that is also far far better than their meager following would suggest. Post to Wire from 2003 is one of my favorites ever, but still just one of a string of very nice records. Should be a new one soon, though I think leader Willy Vlautin is still kind of tied up touring with the great Delines, whose Colfax debut was one of the highlights of the last year.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #53,059 of 126,926

Great band. Haw is one of those amazing records that you hope people will continue to discover into the future, though I'm not sure good music has that kind of longevity any more. Maybe just too much music now. Be a shame if it's only known for that short moment, and then gone. The also very great collaboration with Steve Gunn on Golden Gunn from the same time is one not to miss too.

I'll go with Richmond Fontaine, a similar band that is also far far better than their meager following would suggest. Post to Wire from 2003 is one of my favorites ever, but still just one of a string of very nice records. Should be a new one soon, though I think leader Willy Vlautin is still kind of tied up touring with the great Delines, whose Colfax debut was one of the highlights of the last year.

(I usually get the song of the week from iTunes and Starbucks, and Hiss Golden Messenger's Saturday's Song in their Lateness of Dancers album is the one that I was able to obtain.

Thanks for the insight regarding everything, very enlightening!)

EPMD

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #53,060 of 126,926

(I usually get the song of the week from iTunes and Starbucks, and Hiss Golden Messenger's Saturday's Song in their Lateness of Dancers album is the one that I was able to obtain.

Thanks for the insight regarding everything, very enlightening!)

EPMD

Cool, glad to hear they are getting some recognition. They did a spot on Letterman last year, I guess their TV debut, pretty nice stuff, though I think the previous record Haw is really their masterpiece (I love their previous incarnation as The Court and Spark too, their Bless You record is a big favorite) ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2aopu0_hiss-golden-messenger-southern-grammar-live-on-david-letterman_music

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #53,062 of 126,926
Aug 1, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #53,064 of 126,926
Aug 1, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #53,066 of 126,926
Aug 1, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #53,068 of 126,926
Aug 1, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #53,070 of 126,926

Users who are viewing this thread

Back