Balancing Act Tube Rolling
Dec 7, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #61 of 471
Great info Blackmore, Thanks.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #62 of 471
Thanks for the info Blackmore. So I guess the only difference is that you can only get the "Princess" from Sophia and apparently they get the best tubes from Full music. Actually TJ Full music has a wider selection of tubes that Sophia: for example they have a solid plate px4. 

I've come to the conclusion that the TJ Full music 300b doesn't sound very good with the Balancing Act -- too warm for my tastes and the bass is rolled-off. I think I prefer the JJ a lot more.
If you believe this 6moons review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/300Bredux/redux.html, it seems like the Balancing Act goes better with the "modern group" of 300b. 

On the other hand, I bought a pair of TJ full music mesh plate PX4 which came in the mail a few days ago. I think they are significantly better than any of the 300b I have tried (JJ and TJ full music). More neutral than the 300bs but also with a subtle bit of tube magic. With this tube, I'm using the Mullard ECC32 to drive them and it sounds perfect but many of the combinations I have tried sounded great as well. I don't think I will stretch for the KR PX4 in the near future.  Maybe I'll try the solid plate px4.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #63 of 471
Jonathan if you go for the SS PX4 make sure it's fitted with a UX4 base not a B4.
Let us know what you think of it.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #64 of 471
[size=10pt]Well, they do claim some changes in glass shape and maybe? some inside construction or material, however they didn't wrote me that in their answer, but sent me the pdf file with this article instead. I think that owner of Sophia may invest some in TJ factory and there for got his own line. On the other hand, TJ also have some expensive line out there, which sells up to USD 600 a pair, so, the only way to be sure if TJ and Sophia close sonically, is compare them next to each other.[/size]
[size=10pt]You can get their tubes directly from Sophia, but also their dealers.[/size]

Quote:
Thanks for the info Blackmore. So I guess the only difference is that you can only get the "Princess" from Sophia and apparently they get the best tubes from Full music. Actually TJ Full music has a wider selection of tubes that Sophia: for example they have a solid plate px4. 

I've come to the conclusion that the TJ Full music 300b doesn't sound very good with the Balancing Act -- too warm for my tastes and the bass is rolled-off. I think I prefer the JJ a lot more.
If you believe this 6moons review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/300Bredux/redux.html, it seems like the Balancing Act goes better with the "modern group" of 300b. 

On the other hand, I bought a pair of TJ full music mesh plate PX4 which came in the mail a few days ago. I think they are significantly better than any of the 300b I have tried (JJ and TJ full music). More neutral than the 300bs but also with a subtle bit of tube magic. With this tube, I'm using the Mullard ECC32 to drive them and it sounds perfect but many of the combinations I have tried sounded great as well. I don't think I will stretch for the KR PX4 in the near future.  Maybe I'll try the solid plate px4.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #65 of 471
Craig FINALLY shipped my KR PX4 tubes yesterday after I purchased them with my BA in June. I've been using the Sophia PX4 pretty much exclusively since I got the amp so I'll be able to compare the KR and Sophia next week.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #67 of 471

Quote:
definitely post impressions. i would like to get a pair of PX4 tubes for my BA soon.

x2 I'm very interested in the difference between the Sophia and KR PX4.

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #69 of 471
Dec 13, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #70 of 471
I just dont get it how folks are paying such crazy prices to not really trusty sources. I mean, tubes can die just like that and then what?! They must be crazy...
Not sure myself, but read elsewhere that WE will restart the production around MID 2011, they just re-allocating thier production, but where I dont know. Maybe we all can write them an mail with the same question and possible one of us gets some answer...

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #71 of 471
For a par of WE300B with broken glass the seller wants $880, but shipping is free!!!!!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-300B-Tube-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-Matched-1968-Glass-Holed_W0QQitemZ230560582985QQcategoryZ50598QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D220707237369%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5627586846318640640#ht_1320wt_1141

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #72 of 471
I did some comparisons between the KR PX4 and the Sophia PX4 on the BA. I've been listening exclusively to the Sophias for a few months prior to getting the KR's so I have a pretty good feel for how they sound. I immediately noticed a difference when I put the KR's in. The sound seemed a little more refined and detailed. I even thought my speakers sounded better with the KR tubes in and emailed Craig to see if this was possible or only my imagination (he said he agreed the KR was a better tube in all and would make the BA a better preamp). Just to make sure I wasn't suffering from new toy syndrome I put in a pair of KR 300B tubes for a couple days to adjust my ears. The KR 300B are a nice pair of tubes and while I enjoyed the sound I prefer the sound of the PX4 tube in the BA with the KR offering a little better sound than the Sophia. For now I'm going to stick with the KR PX4 along with a Tung Sol black plate 6F8G.

Craig did mention he was testing the 842 tube in the BA and that may be an improvement over the PX4.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #73 of 471
I like the KR300B it's a nice tube. However the KR PX4 is better than the Sophia PX4 IMHO.
Is the 842 a direct replacement of the PX4?
audiosceptic have you tried the TS 6SN7 BGRP?

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #74 of 471

Quote:
I like the KR300B it's a nice tube. However the KR PX4 is better than the Sophia PX4 IMHO.
Is the 842 a direct replacement of the PX4?
audiosceptic have you tried the TS 6SN7 BGRP?

I agree that the KR PX4 is better than the Sophia.

I'm not sure if it's a direct replacement. Craig indicated he was testing it and it was promising.

I have a single Tung Sol 6SN7 Black Plate that I'm saving. In my listening tests I could not tell the difference between the TS 6F8G and the TS 6SN7.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #75 of 471
Quote:

Craig did mention he was testing the 842 tube in the BA and that may be an improvement over the PX4.

About to receive my new BA from Craig and have also bought a pair of PX4's and 842 tubes from him. Expect to receive delivery by end of January. Not to sure what the stock 6SN7 is but after having read this thread it would appear i need to acquire others to get the best out of my amp. Great thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back