Balanced XLR cable question for Audeze LCD-2 / Bryston BHA-1
May 17, 2015 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vinyl addict

100+ Head-Fier
Heya!!

Looking for advice regarding which balanced cable to use for Audeze LCD-2 / Bryston BHA-1 combo.

4-pin XLR stereo or double 3-pin XLR?  Are there any significant differences if any??

May 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 17
Heya!!

Looking for advice regarding which balanced cable to use for Audeze LCD-2 / Bryston BHA-1 combo.

4-pin XLR stereo or double 3-pin XLR?  Are there any significant differences if any??

Definitely 4-pin XLR. Dual 3-pin needs to die out. It only got started because HeadRoom took "dual mono" to a needless extreme and designed a chassis that used two chassis that shared common front and rear panels which required two 3-pin XLRs. The significant difference is that using one full size XLR on a headphone cable is bad enough. A pair of them is an abomination that I've likened to a pair of goat testicles. :D

se

May 18, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks Steve....that makes total sense.

I only ask because the front panel outputs of the Bryston offers a choice or dual 3-pin or 4-pin stereo.

So I assume that there is no sonic difference going with either and the connections are essentially identical??

Just wanted to be sure before buying...

Cheers
popcorn.gif

May 18, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 17
Thanks Steve....that makes total sense.

I only ask because the front panel outputs of the Bryston offers a choice or dual 3-pin or 4-pin stereo.

So I assume that there is no sonic difference going with either and the connections are essentially identical??

Just wanted to be sure before buying...

Oh, I thought Bryston had both. Must be thinking of another amp.

But yes, no sonic differences and the connections are essentially...

[video]http://youtu.be/khXgPOLefGc[/video]

:D

se

May 18, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 17
Meant to say "offers both" dual 3-pin and 4-pin.

My Cousin Vinny...great movie :popcorn:

Ah, ok. I thought so.

Yeah, My Cousin Vinny is one of a handful of films that when I see it come up on the channel guide I'll watch it.

I know Dale Lauer who wrote, produced and directed it, along with writing, producing and/or directing a number of other great films like Ruthless People, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Love Potion No. 9.

Back in 2005, he did a little project film to see what could be done on a very minimal budget. But he's never done anything with it. He's had a number of ideas, but it's still sitting in the can (metaphorically, he shot it digitally). I've tried to find someone with the money and just buy it and put it into some theaters, but haven't found anyone with the money and the interest.

Here's the trailer.

[video]http://youtu.be/QiOqeFNzc8A[/video]

se

May 18, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 17
Definitely 4-pin XLR. Dual 3-pin needs to die out. It only got started because HeadRoom took "dual mono" to a needless extreme and designed a chassis that used two chassis that shared common front and rear panels which required two 3-pin XLRs. The significant difference is that using one full size XLR on a headphone cable is bad enough. A pair of them is an abomination that I've likened to a pair of goat testicles.
biggrin.gif

se

I'll never be able to look at the 4 pin to dual 3 pin adapter I purchased from you the same way again
eek.gif

Other than "testing" it to make sure it worked, I haven't ever used it.  It seemed like a good idea at the time......

Well, you did me not to bother, but I wanted the "complete set".

May 18, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 17
I'll never be able to look at the 4 pin to dual 3 pin adapter I purchased from you the same way again :eek:

Other than "testing" it to make sure it worked, I haven't ever used it.  It seemed like a good idea at the time......

Well, you did me not to bother, but I wanted the "complete set".

Hehehe. I guess the only thing worse than than a cable terminated with dual 3 pins would be a cable terminated with a 4 pin with a 4 pin to dual 3 pin adapter on it. Now you've got four ginormous full size XLRs to contend with. :D

se

May 18, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 17
Hehehe. I guess the only thing worse than than a cable terminated with dual 3 pins would be a cable terminated with a 4 pin with a 4 pin to dual 3 pin adapter on it. Now you've got four ginormous full size XLRs to contend with.
biggrin.gif

se

But doesn't every adapter added to the chain automatically improve SQ?
cool.gif

Runs for the exit....

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 17

Steve.. will be sending some business your way soon
wink_face.gif

Just be aware that if it involves dual three pin, you'll be met at the door by a shotgun.
tongue.gif

se

Lol...I have been warned...I knew my kevlar jacket would come in handy one of these days!

This whole balanced connection thing got me thinking.... My source is vinyl and phono preamp has no balanced circuitry or balanced connections.

Will using a balanced cable for LCD-2 / Bryston be advantageous over a SE cable in this situation?

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 17
Lol...I have been warned...I knew my kevlar jacket would come in handy one of these days!

Kevlar jacket? Oh, in that case, you'll be greeted by an ice pick, which goes through Kevlar vests like a hot knife through butter (Kevlar cloth is great for big things like bullets, but an ice pick goes right through between the woven fibers.

Thanks for letting me know so I'll be better prepared. :p

This whole balanced connection thing got me thinking.... My source is vinyl and phono preamp has no balanced circuitry or balanced connections.

Will using a balanced cable for LCD-2 / Bryston be advantageous over a SE cable in this situation?

What the headphone community calls "balanced," the rest of the audio world calls "bridged." This is where two identical channels are bridged together in order to achieve a higher voltage swing when working with limited power supply voltage. This was common in car audio before reliable switchmode power supplies came along to allow for higher power supply voltages than 12 volts.

In the rest of the audio world, "balanced" is all about differential inputs and common-mode noise rejection, which is important in environments like recording studios where very long runs of cable are used.

A bridged amplifier does not have a differential input and offers zero common-mode noise rejection.

The long and the short of it is that the person who got the whole "balanced" thing started in the headphone market didn't really understand what they were doing and misused the word "balanced." And while it has become rather popular in the headphone community, it offers no meaningful technical advantage and has just become a gimmick.

The interesting thing about bridged amps is that all else being equal, they will give you 6 dB more gain. And it's a curious thing about humans in that we perceive a bit louder as higher quality. This is something that unscrupulous stereo salesmen would often take advantage of, making sure to play the system they wanted to sell just a tiny bit louder.

Personally I think this is why "balanced" came to be so popular. That and that "balanced" is typically associated with high quality professional gear although it is something completely different from bridging.

se

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 17

Kevlar jacket? Oh, in that case, you'll be greeted by an ice pick, which goes through Kevlar vests like a hot knife through butter (Kevlar cloth is great for big things like bullets, but an ice pick goes right through between the woven fibers.

Thanks for letting me know so I'll be better prepared.
tongue.gif

(doorbell rings) Honey... can you see who's at the door
eek.gif

Comments deciphered, noted and appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
   Guess I'll stay with TRS connection... don't want/need another phono stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back