Balanced signature with slight warmth/color, strong punchy bass, sparkly treble, high isolation, mids not recessed
Jan 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #32 of 50

Quote:
Not that I would question his objectivity or integrity from any informed perspective, but I am possibly buying his SM2, which would entail, as we call it in the biz, a conflict of interest :wink:

He has both, and the SM2 is the one up for sale. That's an indication of which one he thinks is better IMO

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #33 of 50
I just read a few reviews on other sites that have taken the UM2 out of the picture; I am reconsidering the W3 now, I just wish there was a way for me to test them to hear the mids...

The tricky thing for me is, the mids are where I really derive most of my enjoyment from when listening, but I think from all of the phones I have, the shows I've been to, and the music I listen to, I've just come to expect more bass by default. I don't know why but when I saw infected mushroom live, for some reason the sound they had live reminded me of what I've heard about the W3s and for that reason I find them hard to eliminate from my mind...Im just afraid that the lack of forward mids will really disappoint me coming from Se215, X10, and MS400.

Can't I have the SM midrange and soundstage and the W3 bass together? Pretty please? :p

*prays to hifi gods*

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #34 of 50
Screw everything I said about the GR07's bass earlier. I just listened to Cameras by Drake, and the bass is kicking like a mule! Then I put on Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, and I started jumping around my apartment rocking out. I say get the GR07's, and if you don't like them, you'll have no problem getting rid of them.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #35 of 50

Quote:
I am definitely considering the CK 90 but I'm really afraid I will be underwhelmed by the GR07s bass quantity. I am currently reading reviews on the CK 90 and am hunting for some kind of comparison to the sm2.
Would anyone who has heard the SM2 be able to verify/refute that quote about its bass quantity?
Also is there anyone out there who has heard both the SM2 and the UM2 who could compare their bass quantity and overall signature?

Okay I did a bit more of an extensive listening comparison between the CK90 Pro and the SM3 for reference for you. In terms of bass, the difference is like this: SM3 has quite a lot more mid-bass, and that is what contributes to that 'thick' sound that people either love or hate. The CK90Pro is still slightly dark, but has a far leaner mid-bass. However in terms of sub-bass, the CK90Pro has about the same amount as the SM3 but reaches down deeper and is more defined. The CK90Pro is also more sparkly in the treble and transient response is very fast, so fast in fact that timbre suffers a little. The CK90Pro is electric when listening to things like electronic where the fast transients help, but say in something like slow jazz it's not as satisfying. In terms of imaging and soundstaging, the SM3 is better.

In comparison the GR07, the CK90 Pro is darker, with more mid-bass and equal amounts of sub-bass, but smoother treble.

The CK90Pro is by far the most source sensitive IEM I have ever heard. It will pick up all kinds of hiss and react differently to different players.

Overall I would say that the SM3 is a better earphone. (It should be given the price.) But the 90Pro is also fantastic and will give you a lot of what I think you are asking. Doing this comparison makes me wish I could use them more, but the cable on my pair is almost worn out so unfortunately I am afraid to take them out of the house. ;[

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #36 of 50
Ok, well at least I've got a more precise swatch to choose from now. My list now consists of:

-GR07, which I've been considering for a long time but am afraid I will be under-excited by
-W3, which I've sort of dreamed of and would be stereotypically perfect for the music that I listen to
-SM2, which is probably the safest bet of all, having the closest signature to what I'm used to
-CK90Pro, which seems the most different from what I'm used to but, from what I read, is probably the closest to what I've described as my ideal sound.

From what I'm aware of, the "stats" of the headphones would weigh up something like this:

Bass impact: W3>CK90Pro>SM2>GR07
Bass quantity: W3>SM2>CK90Pro>GR07
Subbass extension: GR07>SM2>W3>CK90Pro
Mids emphasis: SM2>GR07>CK90Pro>W3
Mids quality: SM2>GR07>W3>CK90Pro
Mids warmth:SM2>CK90Pro>GR07>W3
Treble emphasis: GR07>W3>CK90Pro>SM2
Treble extension: GR07>W3>SM2>CK90Pro
Treble air: GR07>W3>SM2>CK90Pro
Soundstage: SM2>W3>CK90Pro>GR07
Isolation: SM2>CK90Pro>W3>GR07

Does this all sound about right?

If I were to make a purchase at this moment, it would be the W3 (I just read a rave review of them that actually mentions Infected Mushroom, my favorite group, which also suggested that they present vocals up front and not recessed at all...wondering about this), but you guys are making me question myself! Also if I am considering the W3, I would feel like a fool to not consider the TF10, just because it's 1/3 or less the price of the SM2 and W3, and potentially half the price of the CK90Pro. But I refuse to go with the TF10s, I won't do it; I know it would just be asking for another upgrade, and I'm not going half way with this purchase. I won't spend more than $400 unless I know I'm going to be both totally satisfied with all of a phone's sonic characteristics and completely blown away by its sound, which, after all my research, I just don't see happening, but I'm absolutely not going to let price be a deciding factor below that point.

On a serious note, thank you, both of you (and others who have responded, of course, but especially eke2k6 and a_recording), for taking time to do critical listening and giving really thoughtful and articulate responses. I've started maybe 3 or 4 threads asking about different phones and the both of you have given me as detailed and straightforward of responses as I have seen in ones and twos, for three pages worth of posts. You guys are true Head-Fi mensch for sure  :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #37 of 50
...Ew, you listen to Drake? 
tongue.gif
 Just playin...

I think the GR07s are definitely the safest purchase all aroud...I am really intrigued by the W3, I feel like I will definitely own SM2/3 at some point simply because they seem to be the only universals with replaceable cables that fit my desired signature, and I have some curiosity about the CK90s now, but the GR07s are definitely my fall-back; however if I do purchase the GR07 it will likely be because I am resigned to buying a different top-tier IEM sooner than I currently intend. It will also be the choice I make if I decide that I just don't have the money for this hobby :p
Quote:
Screw everything I said about the GR07's bass earlier. I just listened to Cameras by Drake, and the bass is kicking like a mule! Then I put on Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, and I started jumping around my apartment rocking out. I say get the GR07's, and if you don't like them, you'll have no problem getting rid of them.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 50

Quote:
...Ew, you listen to Drake? 
tongue.gif
 Just playin...

I think the GR07s are definitely the safest purchase all aroud...I am really intrigued by the W3, I feel like I will definitely own SM2/3 at some point simply because they seem to be the only universals with replaceable cables that fit my desired signature, and I have some curiosity about the CK90s now, but the GR07s are definitely my fall-back; however if I do purchase the GR07 it will likely be because I am resigned to buying a different top-tier IEM sooner than I currently intend. It will also be the choice I make if I decide that I just don't have the money for this hobby :p

No-one does

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #44 of 50
I agree with the statement that the vocals are upfront on the w3 , they definitely are not shy or recessed at all ,combined with the bright treble the vocals can be very sibilant for some people ,including me , i overcome this by using two monster foam supertips on comply cores to eliminate the sibilance, however the gro7 is also very sibilant ,and although drums sounded very good , the treble plus the lack of mid/upper bass just sounded off to me , had the gro7 about 3 weeks than sold it on , had the w3 well over a year and still own them and enjoy there sound, the mid bass does make them a warm sounding but still with a very bright treble and the vocals are always very present and prominent within the mix. The w3 is one of the best i own for isolation by the way ,very good design .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back