Balanced (Rudistor NX-33) or Single Ended (RPX33)
Oct 24, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

adriKA

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am deciding between these two amps, and also how to order my MD5000 from Mark. I read about the physics of balanced audio and now I would like some views, experiences from you. The NX33 is balanced for 950eur, the RPX33 is SE (with some flashier components) for 1150eur. I don't know from which would I benefit more. thanx

music: acoustic, vocal - jazz, classical, a bit of rock & pop

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 4
it would really depend on your headphones, whether balancing would be worth it

that being said, why wouldnt you want to go balanced? :p

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 4
That is a very good question indeed, and the answer could definitely help the community to make a huge step forward in the understanding of this non-ending war balanced vs SE...

On one hand, the RPX-33 seems to have better components, but has SE topology...

On the other side, the NX-33 balanced is using les "flashy" components but still show a very significant improvement compared to its SE output (at least with HD650)...

I expect however the result to differ vastly between headphones.... My guess, based on comparison read between the RPX-33 and NX-03 SE output, is that headphones which respond better to balanced operations (HD650, K701, RS1, GS1000...) would in the end offer better sound when balanced from the NX-33. The improvement seems far more significant when upgrading from NX-33 SE (or NX-03) to NX-33 balanced than going from NX-03 SE to RPX-33 SE.

For those who do not seem to benefit a lot from balancing (D5000?, etc...), that would be a tight and exciting competition...

RudiStor solid state amps line seems to share similar house sound, and should make extrapolation valid for the war between balanced and single ended topology.

Any candidate for such a review ?

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back