Balanced power for my rig?
Oct 16, 2001 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mcbiff

100+ Head-Fier
I've become somewhat interested in balanced power after all the talk of it here lately. But I'm wondering if my lowly rig is worthy of such treatment or if the money is better spent elsewhere? See profile for details.

Oct 16, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 13
Your rig is definetely worthy of a balanced power unit... check out BPT, they have a head-fi discount too...

Get some nice powercords too...

Oct 16, 2001 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 13
I agree with chych, mcbiff. Your rig is definitely worthy of balanced power. Your "lowly rig" isn't any more "lowly" than mine!
smily_headphones1.gif
The improvements the BP-3 brought to my rig are very significant, and something I still marvel at. morphsci also seems to be enjoying his new custom BPT unit.

Check out http://www.head-fi.com, and click on the news item regarding Alpha-Core's new balanced power unit. I have no idea how it sounds, but it also looks like a nice component. Of course, if you're not in the U.S., make sure to contact these balanced power manufacturers to let them know about your power requirements / specs in your country.

Oct 16, 2001 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 13
This sounds very interesting. But how would you guys rank balanced power along side say a source upgrade? Is it good enough to be considered as a new component, or is it merely a very good tweak?

I have made contact with the people at b-p-t, they said that european units are quite possible. Currently I'm awaiting some more advice from them on which route to take. That 10% discount also sounds nice.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 13
jude, morphsci, how long did it take from ordering before your units arrived? This waiting for my BP-Jr is killing me...
frown.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
jude, morphsci, how long did it take from ordering before your units arrived? This waiting for my BP-Jr is killing me...
frown.gif

I received mine within a week. I think morphsci may have received his in about the same amount of time. When did you order yours? Make sure to call Chris if you have any questions (I had better luck in the late afternoons, but leave a voice mail if you get his voice mail).

Oct 17, 2001 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 13
It's been about a week since they received my payment. So I guess I'll call tomorrow if it hasn't arrived after work.

Oct 17, 2001 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 13
Mine took about a week and a half because I paid using a money order. But I had constant (every few days) updates from Chris on where my unit was.

McBiff: I consider this on par with a source upgrade. It is much more noticeable than most tweaks. The benefit I see is it has upgraded all my components simultaneously. I will have a better idea of the magnitude of the change when I compare my CDP upgrade, with and without the BPT unit in line. Either way this is the only upgrade I have done in recent memory with absolutely no buyers remorse.

Oct 18, 2001 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 13
Woohoo, my BP Jr got here! And even though I'm still partly under new-toy influence, I have gotta agree w/ morphsci: This is a very blatant improvement, at least as good as upgrading the source! Gotta get back to listening now!
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Woohoo, my BP Jr got here! And even though I'm still partly under new-toy influence, I have gotta agree w/ morphsci: This is a very blatant improvement, at least as good as upgrading the source! Gotta get back to listening now!
biggrin.gif

dhwilkin,

I was just playing around with my rig yesterday, shifting things around (because the new interconnects were so stiff that I had to reconsider my gear layout), and, at one point, tried my gear sans balanced power. Didn't last long. I consider it a must in my rig. At some point I'll have to give a PS Audio PowerPlant a go in my setup to see how it compares, but I'm very happy for now on the power conditioning front.

Congrats on the BP-jr!

Oct 18, 2001 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 13
I also got a BP-7 power cord for my Max. That thing is huge, I could easily use it as a weapon! I had to do some creative wrapping of the cord around my audio rack to keep the cord from trying to pull out of the Max.

What will be really interesting is after I get all this new equipment I got settled in. I want to try balanced power on my home theater setup. If the improvements that I got on headphones appear there, I will be in heaven! Heck, even w/o hearing it there, I'm SO tempted to make an impulse buy for one of their units w/ more inputs. Somebody stop me, please, my bank account is begging you!!!

Oct 18, 2001 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 13
After reading nearly the entire PS Audio site, I am really wanting one of their generators, but as far as I can tell, their cheapest model, the P300 is ~$1200, whereas the BPT Jr. can be had for around $300. It would be great if someone could comment on whether the P300 is four times better, or $900 better (whichever you like).

Also, do you BPT owners leave them plugged in all the time? I'm not thrilled at the prospect of leaving it plugged in and using power when I'm not there, but also don't want to unplug everything in order to avoid tripping the circuit breaker every time I want music.

The more time I spend here, the longer my wish list grows. I honestly feel like a little kid wishing for baseball cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back