Balanced output and Shure SE846 - A question
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

W84ME

New Head-Fier
I have a Pioneer XDP-300R media player that mentions that the minimum impedance supported at its balanced port is 32 ohm. That is pretty much typical of balanced output of many devices.

Here is the question...

I look at the Shure SE846 earphone (which is well revered) and its impedance is 8 Ohm. So can it be safely used with a balanced cable connected to Pioneer? Pioneer specifically suggests not to use earphones/headphones that are not at least 32 ohm in impedance as it will damage the earphone.

Also, Sure SE846 is not hi-res whereas Sony XBA-Z5 is. I own the latter and love it but its fit is inconvenient since it sticks out by design. Hence, I have been considering Shure SE846 but don't know if the sound quality is as resolving as Z5.

Any insight will be highly appreciated.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 5
Pretty sure you can safely ignore the high-res certification in this context, I wouldn't worry about that part.

One possible solution to your impedance problem might be the ifi iematch. It's designed to let you use low impedance IEMs with higher-impedance sources. It does support balanced output, but you will need a balanced cable that terminates in a 3.5mm TRRS connector, or an adapter.

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 5
Pretty sure you can safely ignore the high-res certification in this context, I wouldn't worry about that part.

One possible solution to your impedance problem might be the ifi iematch. It's designed to let you use low impedance IEMs with higher-impedance sources. It does support balanced output, but you will need a balanced cable that terminates in a 3.5mm TRRS connector, or an adapter.
Good to know about "iematch" but I am confused about its use. Since XDP-300R balanced port is 2.5mm, how can you use it due to 3.5mm plug. 3.5mm port is single-ended in XDP-300R. And I don't see how "iematch" can provide balanced output from that port due to non-use of dual DAC (by Pioneer) on that port.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Use 846 with 0-1 ohm. It doesn’t need balanced output as it’s pretty efficient( Not that balanced hurts) It’s a good iem, but if you want transparent detail, there are better.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Good to know about "iematch" but I am confused about its use. Since XDP-300R balanced port is 2.5mm, how can you use it due to 3.5mm plug. 3.5mm port is single-ended in XDP-300R. And I don't see how "iematch" can provide balanced output from that port due to non-use of dual DAC (by Pioneer) on that port.

You would need to use an adapter for the port as well. Although they recently announced a 2.5mm version of iematch, which is a much better solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back