balanced out to unbalanced in help!
Jun 16, 2012 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

musicbased

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm using a Line 6 UX2 and i would like to use the balanced analogue outs(jack) to go to my new matrix mstage amp (rca), which is not balanced ...

Does anyone know what cable i can use for this?

Is it ok to use a standard stereo rca to jack cable?

I don't want to damage anything or have a worse sound!-I'm fairly new to this as you can probably tell!
normal_smile .gif

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 13
This is fairly easy:
the 1/4" analog outputs are both tip, ring and sleeve, i.e they have tow outputs per channel, the tip and the ring of the 1/4" jack.
They represent the Non-inverting output, the Inverting output and ground PER CHANNEL.
You want the Non-inverting and ground from each channel.
Really what what you need for each channel is a 1/4" balanced to RCA cable for each channel, in other words, you need two cables, one for left, one for right.
the thing you don't want to do is short the Inverting output to ground, which can happen, if you use the wrong cable.

Can you provide a link to which cable you are looking at?
Hard to tell if that is the right cable from the description.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 13
http://www.guitartrader.com/Insert-Cable-99-Ft-14-M-TRS-to-Dual-RCA-M

you could use one of these for left and one for the right output.
so you would need to buy two.

You would only use the white RCA from each cable as the White is Non-Inverting.
Ignore the RED, i.e. do not use the Red RCA as that is the Non-Inverting output.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks so much for that,that's really helpful!
I will get a couple of those leads then.
I'm in the UK so i will see if I can find the same thing here somewhere!
:D

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 13
blue jeans cable can make you cables in any length you want.  The problem is that sometimes (and mostly with SS gear) ballanced outputs are a much hotter signal than SE outs are - so that could cause you to run into issues (overdrive amp etc).  I have no idea what level output your DAC is.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 13
That would be ideal, but i'm the UK so after shipping and import tax, things tend to double in price.
I wish there was a company like that here, but i haven't been able to find one yet!

Thanks for the warning on signal level too, i'll keep an eye/ear on it.From my experience,and i also read somewhere i think, the UX2 out isn't that loud though.
My dad is also lending me his 'Alesis i/o 14' so i can compare the sound. I think it is supposed to have better converters in it so might be better, but i also have no idea what the level output is on that thing!

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the warning on signal level too, i'll keep an eye/ear on it.From my experience,and i also read somewhere i think, the UX2 out isn't that loud though.
My dad is also lending me his 'Alesis i/o 14' so i can compare the sound. I think it is supposed to have better converters in it so might be better, but i also have no idea what the level output is on that thing!

Balanced signal level being hotter than a single ended level:

it depends:
some equipment outputs a hotter level than other equipment.
in addition, you are only taking half the signal level if you use one of the cables I showed you.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks again Chris,

I've got 2 of those cables on the way...

I'm just trying to understand this whole balanced thing in the meantime!

Is it more of an issue of signal noise and level, rather than signal quality?
For example, if i were to just plug in two standard unbalanced jack leads (with rca adapters) in this setup, what might be the difference between doing it properly?

Bonus question! -On the balanced jack to rca cable the 'tip' is the white and 'ring' is the red, right?

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Thanks again Chris,

I've got 2 of those cables on the way...

I'm just trying to understand this whole balanced thing in the meantime!

Is it more of an issue of signal noise and level, rather than signal quality?
For example, if i were to just plug in two standard unbalanced jack leads (with rca adapters) in this setup, what might be the difference between doing it properly?

Bonus question! -On the balanced jack to rca cable the 'tip' is the white and 'ring' is the red, right?

Yes, it is more of a signal noise and level thing.
If you plugged in standard (unbalanced) 1/4" cables, you would short 'ring' signal to ground, not good.
If the UX2 had RCA outputs it would output less level and the signal in the cable would be more susceptible to noise.

Bonus Answer!
From the UX2, each cable really outputs a mono signal, so you need the white from both cables, one cable is left, the other cable is right,   i.e. the two whites are actually left and right.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Thanks Chris. The cables should arrive tomorrow, looking forward to trying it out. 
smile.gif

No problem, let me know how it works out!

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 13
Hey!

That's great!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back