Balanced ouputs from Naim CDP?
Jul 9, 2005 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Salt Peanuts

Headphoneus Supremus
I apologize if this has been asked before, but didn't come up with anything with the search function.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of it would be possible to get balanced ouputs from Naim CDP's? Maybe with a DIN to XLR cable?

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 5
It’s possible.

I’ve got a 103kb Adobe file showing various types of DIN to (rca) XLR cable adapters with increasing complexity starting with a simple cable. It explains the benefits and detriments of each approach. It’s from a transformer manufacturer and is detailed enough to build the adapters described.

It was an interesting read and I’ll send it to you if you want to email me?

What CDP are you going to use? I’m rocking with a CD5x and the PS1’s now.

Mitch

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 5
I actually don't have one yet, but have been thinking about CD5x for a possible upgrade. It's still couple of months away (possible source upgrade) and it may very well not happen, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start researching now.

EDIT - Oh and YGPM regarding the Adobe file.

Jul 9, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 5
i would email Naim Audio N. America with your query. their excellent service department will be able to sort things out for you. you can't go wrong with a Naim cdp.

Corey

Jul 9, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 5
I use DIN/XLR Chord Cobra II to my valve amps.

NANA can make them up to your specified length. Naim makes their own low-mass XLR sockets. They are used routinly with an active ATC or higher end Naim power amps, who are equipped with XLR inputs only, from a Naim preamp.
jotaxlr2.jpg

This is what the DIN end looks like. The left and right leads from a single DIN socket. (albeit, this is a connection from a preamp's power supply )
552psrear.jpg

I am not sure if using a DIN/XLR cable is possible from a Naim CD player it'll mess up the ground. I'd think that it depends on what cct. your preamp uses.
Note that a lead off a CD plalyer will be different from what's shown here. ( grey DIN 5 180° opposed to the DIN 4 210° shown )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back