Balanced headphone recommendation?
Jul 3, 2015 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jerrymamet

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
My headphones got stolen a while ago.
They were Sennheiser hd 280 pro. I liked them because they were comfortable, had a long cable, pretty neutral and sounded good with the wide range of music I listen to.

I guess it's an opprotunity to get new ones. Today I went to Bic Camera and tried out some headphones:

Shure 840 was good sound, but I've tried it in various stores and they were all uncomfortable or wiggled a lot if I moved my head too much. (I dance sometimes while listening)
Sony MDR-XB950 "extra bass" was the best of their selection: really comfortable on the head and ears. It made the sound open like I was in a room. Just a little too bassy, especially on acoustic music which sounded off.
Sony MDR-10r was more balanced/neutral, though seemed a little too closed in. It didn't have that "being in a room" feel.

tl;dr:
Closed, around the ear
Balanced/Neutral sound (works for any genre ex. electronic to hymns,ect.)
Prefer to feel "open" "roomy"
Comfortable for long periods and doesn't wiggle much
Under $190
Long cable would be cool (1m)

Any and all recs based off what I said here would be totally appreciated!

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 4

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
Soundmagic HP150. Considered more of a neutral class of headphone, but with sub bass emphasis that helps with EDM but doesn't interfere a lot with other genres of music where that would not be desirable.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 4

jerrymamet

New Head-Fier
Thanks for the replies!

Sony MDR-1R and AKG K553 seem like good options though right at the top of my budget. 
People seem to really stand by Soundmagic. Wish I could try them out in-person, but I've never seen them in Tokyo.

If anyone else has some suggestions, I'd love to hear!

Users who are viewing this thread