BAlanced cable question
Mar 23, 2006 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vic

500+ Head-Fier
I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I have to know.

If I got a balanced cable for HD 6xx (let's say Equinox or Cadra), would I be able to use it unbalanced with some sort of adapter?
In other word if one has a balanced amp and an umbalanced one, does he need to buy two sets of cables?

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 6
you can most certainly get an adaptor and use it with a conventional unbalanced headphone socket. no need to have a balanced and an unbalanced set of the same cable, unless you are the type that doesn't want extra connectors in the signal path and will get a second pair just to avoid that.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
you can most certainly get an adaptor and use it with a conventional unbalanced headphone socket. no need to have a balanced and an unbalanced set of the same cable, unless you are the type that doesn't want extra connectors in the signal path and will get a second pair just to avoid that.
wink.gif

Thanks Ayt, it sounds great.

I actually have a Lavry Black that I use mainly with ATH W5000. I intend to get some HD650 (or 600, not yet sure) and an Equinox balanced cable to use out of the balanced out of the Lavry; I also plan to get later on a Singlepower MPX and would like to use from time to time the HD6xx+Equinox on the MPX, hence my question

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 6
ohh we have about the same setup and i am considering a balanced cable

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
ohh we have about the same setup and i am considering a balanced cable

Well apparently, from what I read in this forum, the Lavry Black balance out drives very well the HD650, although you need to perform some sex surgery.
If you give it a try please post your impressions

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Well apparently, from what I read in this forum, the Lavry Black balance out drives very well the HD650, although you need to perform some sex surgery.
If you give it a try please post your impressions

The quickest and cheapest route would be to get 2 female XLR plugs and reterminate a stock cable. It is a very simple DIY task.

Green (Left), Copper (Ground) / Red(Right), Copper (Ground): Pin 1 on the XLR plug is signal and pin 3 is ground.

The other route would be to pick up some female to female XLR adapters and buy a standard balanced cable.

I ran my HD650s via adapters and a cable I made from my DA10 for a few months before I got my amp. I does an excellent job with the Senns. It is well worth the investment for the new cable over using the headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back