Balanced amp for Beyerdynamic T1
Nov 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SBranson

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been out of audio for quite a while so coming back I was amazed how many choices are out there.  I've through a few sets of headphones looking for my "sound" and now have Beyerdynamic T1s/

I was looking at this all from a portable perspective as I wear these while working at home and need to get up and move around a bit...  So after not liking the "in the head" sound of the LCD2s I read a bit and ended up with a set of Beyerdynamic T1 with a 4 pin balanced plug.  So I have tried it with an O2 amp but I'm not that happy with the sound.  Not surprisingly, I'm not getting the most out of the T1s.  I bought a RSA protector thinking I would get a XLR to rsa/alo plug adapter but even that, though better, still seems not quite there.

So... I'll keep the protector for when I need to move around but I now want something for dedicated listening.

My budget is not that great, maybe $500-700'ish and I want a balanced amp with 4pin output.  I can get an Audio GD Phoenix used for about $700 but I also see a Little Dot mark VI+ or VII+.  (though I've been through the tube rolling game before and I'm not equipped financially to get into that again)  This isn't necessarily an end point but I'm wondering if there are other good options I'm not seeing out there or is either of these likely to do well.

If I can't find something, I'll probably sell the T1's and go back to LCD2s but get try the rev2 and live with the smaller soundstage or just go back down the line and try to forget about nirvana.

PS... my source is an Ipod with lossless files and an Algorhythm Solo R.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Well I've come across the Schiit Mjolnir.   Anyone know if this will beat the Phoenix in performance?

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 10
The Schiit Mjolnir and T1's is my dream set up(along with the Gungnir DAC). This set up to me seems to be a very promising set up. But the Audio GD Phoenix seems like a good option aswell. I cant say for sure which would be better because i haven't heard either amp. But going over the specs and Watts/ohm ratings the T1's "Should" work quiet well matched with the Mjolnir. Looking at the Phoenix internals it seems like there is more dampening going on than the Mjolnir which to me might help if you have a low voltage input into the amp. Matched with a DAC/Preamp like the Gungnir is what Schiit most likely intended for the best possible sound. The Pheonix looks like it would work alot better than the Mjolnir if it was connected direct to your source(ie. ipod, media player).

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 10
I have briefly owned bothamp (Phoenix & Mjolnir) and IMHO they are not a great match with the T1. The Phoenix was too dark and lush while the Mjolnir was too bright and "In your face". In my system the MKVI+ is a much better match.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks...  hmm... neither eh?  I'll have to think about the LD.  To be honest, I'm not super keen to play the tube rolling game again and knowing me, I couldn't resist.
Maybe the LCD2 is the better route until I can really give the T1's a worthy amp.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
The Schiit Mjolnir and T1's is my dream set up(along with the Gungnir DAC). This set up to me seems to be a very promising set up. But the Audio GD Phoenix seems like a good option aswell. I cant say for sure which would be better because i haven't heard either amp. But going over the specs and Watts/ohm ratings the T1's "Should" work quiet well matched with the Mjolnir. Looking at the Phoenix internals it seems like there is more dampening going on than the Mjolnir which to me might help if you have a low voltage input into the amp. Matched with a DAC/Preamp like the Gungnir is what Schiit most likely intended for the best possible sound. The Pheonix looks like it would work alot better than the Mjolnir if it was connected direct to your source(ie. ipod, media player).

Well I can confirm that an ipod as source isn't very good with the mjolnir.  I had the thing turned up to about 2-3 o'clock position and it didn't sound any better than my RSA predator. (which is also under powered)

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 10
Maybe you could do the simple bias mod on the Phoenix to make it brighter sounding.
I had the Audio-gd Roc, which has been stated as brighter than the Phoenix, and even unbalanced the T1's were very impresive.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Well I can confirm that an ipod as source isn't very good with the mjolnir.  I had the thing turned up to about 2-3 o'clock position and it didn't sound any better than my RSA predator. (which is also under powered)

well not to be a smart ass, but i could have told you that lol :) im pretty sure the Mjolnir requires about 2 volts of unadulterated power from the source(and thats 2volts for both channels). meaning a very strong DAC or source like the Schiit Gungnir which feeds alot of power.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 10
Yup. That's pretty much exactly what the guy said as I plugged it in.  Still learning....
In the end, I'm using the wrong headphone for a portable system.  I am now looking at the Violectric V181 as a desktop choice for the T1s and getting the Denon D5000 for my portable needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back