balanced 2pin IEM cable options?
Apr 4, 2017 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

flohmann

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought an Onkyo DPA-x1 that offers balanced output over 2.5mm TRRS, so now I'm looking at balanced cable options for my (aging) Westone W4r IEMs, which use the 2 pin connector (not the coax MMCX). Who still offers these and do people have a favorite?

Here's what I'm seeing out there, offering balanced from 2-pin to 2.5mm TRRS:

Moon Silver Dragon v1, $220
SurfCables, $100
Estron Linum Balanced, EUR145
ALO Ref8, $299

That's quite a price range ($100 - $300). Anyone already taken the plunge? Any others I've missed?

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 3
  Just bought an Onkyo DPA-x1 that offers balanced output over 2.5mm TRRS, so now I'm looking at balanced cable options for my (aging) Westone W4r IEMs, which use the 2 pin connector (not the coax MMCX). Who still offers these and do people have a favorite?

Here's what I'm seeing out there, offering balanced from 2-pin to 2.5mm TRRS:

Moon Silver Dragon v1, $220
SurfCables, $100
Estron Linum Balanced, EUR145
ALO Ref8, $299

That's quite a price range ($100 - $300). Anyone already taken the plunge? Any others I've missed?

I have had three of these made by Ted Allen at the headphone lounge and he is a very respected builder here on head-fi. Prices ranged from $100 to $200, depending on if I wanted copper or silver. Here are a few photos of the most recent silver-plated copper:

He's also quite speedy and I usually receive the cables in about a week. 

Another option I've also done is had several of my 3.5mm cables re-terminated to 2.5mm TRRS by a nice guy at Triton Audio Cables, also on these forums. Prices were around $55 for a fairly complex 8-braid cable, which I consider to be very reasonable and that included shipping and the 2.5mm plug itself. Most importantly though, it allowed me to use my absolute favorite cable with my new favorite DAP (same as yours, although it's the Pioneer version) and to me that was WELL worth it.  

Hope this helps!

-Collin-

May 4, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 3
IMG_20170504_084228.jpg
u5VjF2RXP3xsWTRdA

Just updating the thread here: I went with the Estron Linum Balanced and like it quite a bit. Sounds great, incredibly thin and light, and coils neatly without tangles. This is the same cable that Westone rebrands and sells (but only with the MMCX connector). And a new Linum Super Balanced is reportedly in the works, but not yet available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back