Bakoon HPA-21 : Will it achieve High End status ?
Apr 27, 2013 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wild4sound

Head-Fier
This amp has been anticipated and mentioned on Head-Fi.
It is being discussed in the High End Forum but not in a dedicated thread.
It is novel in that it employs current drive and voltage drive outputs.
It is dedicated to drive headphones only.
It has no tubes. 
It uses batteries.
It has single ended output only.
It has its first commercial review   http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bakoon3/1.html

Sure, it comes well regarded, but will it rightfully own a spot as Head-Fi  High End ?

There are some teething issues and I am sure many comments and questions but there is a lot of promise.
My paradigm : no hierarchy but plenty of choice and preference. 
Usually an early adopter, I would love some unsolicited opinion . 

So give this newcomer some thought, some ears and some space. 

Let's soothe our souls in these troubled times.

May 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 24
I'm reminded of the riddle Varys poses Tyrion in Game of Thrones about where power resides.  Ultimately, what is "high end"?  Whatever people think is high end.  It's a perception thing.  The fits some seem to throw about something that should be on the summit forum but isn't or what is there but shouldn't be is just an elaborate Game of Headphones.  Alliances are made in the back alleys of the internet to make or break a product, heavyweights settle down in one corner or another and wax poetic, posters slowly but surely eat away at someones credibility until all that's left is food for the crows. Liking one thing makes one guilty by association, as does not liking another.  There are those alchemists hinting at tremendous secrets who never deliver (other than offering blanket flaming that could tear apart the whole forum,) and scores of self-styled "reviewers" hoping the product they champion will be cherished above all else as this increases their esteem as those who "found" it.  Most average posters are chasing dragons, an almost mythical product that is so obviously superior to anything pitted against it they can have one and be done.  But there are no dragons, just lots of mortals with different armor and banners.  Amidst all this chaotic perception-jousting, your average visitor who knows nothing about the hobby but likes music and wants it to sound the best it can gapes open-mouthed at the sheer amount of politics, drama, and venomous invective that can exist on a website where people talk about headphones.

May 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 24
I'm debating between this and the GSX for an end game SS amp after my Leviathan is finished. Leaning towards the GSX atm as I think the Bakoon is pretty atrocious looking at it's price point. :frowning2:

-Daniel

May 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 24
Ooh, yas.  Looks are always of primary consideration. 
blink.gif

I'm targeting an amp to best complement my new TH900s, for which the Bakoon should be sufficient, but since I also have a LCD-2 headset, I'll see if there is sufficient power to drive those to full bloom as well.

What I'm particularly interested in hearing is its touted current driven headphone output circuit, instead of the usual voltage driven design.  I'm also getting a current driver headphone output circuit design incorporated into a DIY tube preamp that I've recently acquired, so I'll have a point of comparison between different current driver output signal performances, as well as current vs. voltage.  Signal distortion, or comparative lack thereof, should be the tipping point, if audible. 

So yeah, in that sense, I am still looking for the mythical unicorn of technologically superior if not ultimate high fidelity configuration at a given price point. Though it'll most likely come down to quality of components more than circuit design and/or software algorithms, so that it is largely about price point (wine was an analogy made on another thread).

And the Bakoon does cast a large shadow for its size... 
wink.gif

May 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
I'm reminded of the riddle Varys poses Tyrion in Game of Thrones about where power resides.  Ultimately, what is "high end"?  Whatever people think is high end.  It's a perception thing.  The fits some seem to throw about something that should be on the summit forum but isn't or what is there but shouldn't be is just an elaborate Game of Headphones.  Alliances are made in the back alleys of the internet to make or break a product, heavyweights settle down in one corner or another and wax poetic, posters slowly but surely eat away at someones credibility until all that's left is food for the crows. Liking one thing makes one guilty by association, as does not liking another.  There are those alchemists hinting at tremendous secrets who never deliver (other than offering blanket flaming that could tear apart the whole forum,) and scores of self-styled "reviewers" hoping the product they champion will be cherished above all else as this increases their esteem as those who "found" it.  Most average posters are chasing dragons, an almost mythical product that is so obviously superior to anything pitted against it they can have one and be done.  But there are no dragons, just lots of mortals with different armor and banners.  Amidst all this chaotic perception-jousting, your average visitor who knows nothing about the hobby but likes music and wants it to sound the best it can gapes open-mouthed at the sheer amount of politics, drama, and venomous invective that can exist on a website where people talk about headphones.

Bravo Radio_Head, those last 2 lines bring me back down to earth, where I believe the truth lies.

May 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 24
Looks are a primary factor in this case where my direct comparison is an amp with better looks, cheaper cost, and an ever-growing abundance of positive feedback here and elsewhere (GSX mkii). Can't say ANY of those things in regards to the Bakoon...
blink.gif

-Daniel

May 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 24
Received my HPA-21 unit on Thursday, but other than uncrating it, I haven't yet taken the opportunity to hook it up.  I'll follow-up with with some subjective initial impressions and maybe some comparisons to some of my other amps: EAR HP-4, Cavalli Liquid Fire, and maybe the Burson Soloist, if anyone is interested.  I'll probably also make some headphone pairing comparisons with the Bakoon: TH900, LCD-2, and T5p.  

Other than that, based on the lukewarm reception and interest I'm seeing so far on this thread, I'll probably keep the remainder of my listening experience to myself.

May 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
Looks are a primary factor in this case where my direct comparison is an amp with better looks, cheaper cost, and an ever-growing abundance of positive feedback here and elsewhere (GSX mkii). Can't say ANY of those things in regards to the Bakoon...
blink.gif

-Daniel

Then why did you tag this particular thread with your GSX preconceptions?  Looks are the only point of comparison you have to work with in this case.

May 16, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
Received my HPA-21 unit on Thursday, but other than uncrating it, I haven't yet taken the opportunity to hook it up.  I'll follow-up with with some subjective initial impressions and maybe some comparisons to some of my other amps: EAR HP-4, Cavalli Liquid Fire, and maybe the Burson Soloist, if anyone is interested.  I'll probably also make some headphone pairing comparisons with the Bakoon: TH900, LCD-2, and T5p.  

Other than that, based on the lukewarm reception and interest I'm seeing so far on this thread, I'll probably keep the remainder of my listening experience to myself.

I'm interested in your impressions for sure. If you could throw in a HE500 as well that would be even better 
normal_smile .gif

Also, see this new thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664097/bakoon-hpa-21-headphone-amplifier-one-of-the-best

May 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
The Bakoon might be a great amp for easy to drive phones, but it might not cut it for orthos. Wish they come out with a higher power one.

Don't be fooled by the 1 W power output! HPA-21 is developed for LCD-3. I have the volume between 07:30 and 11:30 for my LCD-3. No more power needed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back